Lost: $12,000 Engagement ring attached to helium balloon

Taximom

Former Member
Reaction score
Oops, new meaning to "Your love is lifting me higher".
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080314/od_nm/engagement_dc
Hajji, of Hackney, east London, had concealed a $12,000 engagement ring inside a helium balloon. The idea was that she would pop the balloon as he popped the question.
But as he left the shop, a gust of wind pulled the balloon from his hand and he watched the ring -- and quite possibly the affections of his girlfriend -- sailing away over the rooftops. ("More at link" said Taximom in that squeeky voice)

The update to this story will be posted 25 years from now in the Bizarre section. "$12,000 engagement ring found in stomach of fish - Couple divorced 15 years ago."

I think he just spent 12k to find out that his gf is not a keeper. Probably the best 12k he ever spent. I hope he moves on and finds a lady more deserving of his affection.

Awww, it was a sweet gesture, but I would have second thoughts about marrying someone who would put a 12K in a Helium balloon. He would have put it in a regular ballon, you know one that would not have floated away. But honestly she sounds like a B getting so mad about it. He should just dump her *advertiser censored*. Look at it this way, 12K is cheaper than a divorce years from now. Poor guy.

"But I had to tell her the story -- she went absolutely mad. Now she is refusing to speak to me until I get her a new ring."

Forget getting the new ring, he needs to get a new girlfriend.

This is why my parents ALWAYS TIED my balloons to my wrist! :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
This is why my parents ALWAYS TIED my balloons to my wrist! :)

Too funny, Pandora!

When I was a child, I always wanted to get a bunch and fly away like Mary Poppins did with her umbrella!

Reminds me of the Mythbusters episode where they tied helium balloons to a dummy the size of an 8 yr old, to see if they could really make a child lift off of the ground. LoL

Poor guy... loses the ring, then loses the affections of his girl. :(

Anybody remember that movie "Lord's Of Flatbush"? That chick keeps saying to the Sylvester Stallone charachter "Stanley I want that ring. You better get me that ring, Stanley" in this whinney New York accent? I'd be saying that to the baloon guy. Get me that ring, Stanley or else.

What a spoiled rotten woman! He needs to hire a hot air balloon ride for her and let her drift away! She doesn't deserve a nice ring or a romantic groom! At least, he tried.

I bet someone will find that ring and return it to him with all the publicity. It will serve her right when he gets it back and gets his money back, too!!

Honestly, I'm not real impressed with either of them!

She doesn't sound very nice, and he doesn't seem to have a really good grip on reality (or a good grip in general. Har!)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back