sex offenders get financial aid!!!!!!!!!!!

Linda7NJ

Reaction score
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SEX_OFFENDERS_COLLEGE_AID?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

James Sturtz is not your ordinary college student struggling to pay tuition.
The 48-year-old rapist is one of Iowa's most dangerous sex offenders, locked up in a state-run treatment center for fear he will attack again if released. Yet he has received thousands of dollars in federal aid to take college courses through the mail.
Across the nation, dozens of sexual predators have been taking higher education classes at taxpayer expense while confined by the courts to treatment centers. Critics say they are exploiting a loophole to receive Pell Grants, the nation's premier financial aid program for low-income students

way more at link!:behindbar

****grrrrrrrrrrr* thought the pell grant was mainly for single-sex-parents....shows HOW much I know....:eek: ....

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SEX_OFFENDERS_COLLEGE_AID?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

James Sturtz is not your ordinary college student struggling to pay tuition.
The 48-year-old rapist is one of Iowa's most dangerous sex offenders, locked up in a state-run treatment center for fear he will attack again if released. Yet he has received thousands of dollars in federal aid to take college courses through the mail.
Across the nation, dozens of sexual predators have been taking higher education classes at taxpayer expense while confined by the courts to treatment centers. Critics say they are exploiting a loophole to receive Pell Grants, the nation's premier financial aid program for low-income students

way more at link!:behindbar

:sick: I just can't think of much else really to say...WHAT IS WRONG W/ THIS WORLD????????????????

Sturtz illustrates both sides.
The Iowa man was convicted in 1980 of sexually assaulting a 4-year-old girl. He earned his high school equivalency diploma behind bars and trained to be a janitor. He was convicted again in 1989 of attempted rape after pulling a knife on a woman.
After another stint behind bars, he struck again in 1994. This time, he met a Coe College student waiting for a bus, persuaded her to get in his car and raped her at knifepoint. He was sent back to prison and then ordered to Cherokee after his sentence ended in 2006.
Sturtz said he signed up to take business courses through Kirkwood Community College and received B's in business communication courses. But he has put his schooling on hold.
He said he dropped algebra and two other courses that were too hard. And he said he was unable to complete one class because he was not able to watch the required movies. Like other sexual predators, he is not allowed access to the Internet, and that has complicated his schooling.
He said he used his $100 in leftover grant money to buy jeans and underwear and saved the rest in case he tries to take more courses.
it shows me a whole other problem. rape a 4 yr old and get out of jail. try to rape a woman at knife point and get out of jail. rape a college kid and get out of jail. he was sent to a treatment center after the 3rd strike but why was he given a chance to ever see the light of day again? if we had just kept the freak in prison forever he would not be able to get the grant to start with.:furious: :furious: :furious:

That needs to * stop. :furious:
How about the govt. give that money to the children and women who this azzwipe molested?

It just makes no sense that he is getting free room and board, free meals and free college...all because he molested children and adult women as well. :furious: :mad: :furious:

Close the loophole then.

Exactly!!!!!

It is sad that a lot of law abiding citizens have to struggle to get a college education, yet a criminal like this can glide right through the system right into college, off of the back of tax payers. Darn it... incarceration is not suppose to be about rewarding the criminal... it is suppose to be about punishing them... :|

Exactly!!!!!

It is sad that a lot of law abiding citizens have to struggle to get a college education, yet a criminal like this can glide right through the system right into college, off of the back of tax payers. Darn it... incarceration is not suppose to be about rewarding the criminal... it is suppose to be about punishing them... :|
I was under the impression that Pell grants do not entirely pay for the courses. How are these guys paying for the amounts that Pell doesn't cover?

Ridiculous! On the forms it has a spot to mark if you have been convicted of a felony, I assumed you didn't get it for being a criminal.
A sex offender shouldn't be out of jail to even get an education!
ETA- it seems he is taking classes from jail? We wonder why our country is broke!

I was under the impression that Pell grants do not entirely pay for the courses. How are these guys paying for the amounts that Pell doesn't cover?

That's an excellent question. My Pell grants don't cover my courses by a long shot. That's why I have student loans and such. To get those, you can't have been convicted of a felony, that much I know. We're hearing that financial aid is in trouble and they're giving grants to sex offenders? Well, no darn wonder financial aid is in trouble. Good lord, I may have to leave school because of financial issues and these guys get it handed to them? I'd get a time out if I said what I really think about that.

This just pi$$es me off to no end. :furious: This is just wrong.

It gets me that they are spending the Pell grant money in some cases for clothes, DVD players, TVs and CDs. The government says they don't know if these people are getting Pell grants or not. They sure knew I had them when I attended college. Where's the paper trail for them that we were all subjected to? Also, if someone drops out of the course they have to pay some money back. But, apparently, not these sexual offenders with no traceable record of receiving the grant. I think it's a waste of taxpayer's money to be educating a sex offender who may never be released! :furious:

Holy crap! That is ridiculous! As a college student with $10k in loans, & 2yrs to go, this royally pisses me off! Granted I'm all for some prisoners using their incarceration to better themselves, learn a skill, etc so they can work to become a productive member of society upon release. But shouldn't this be reserved for non-violent offenders &/or those who aren't serving 20+yrs in prison? This guy is 48yrs old, a dangerous sex offender, and will (hopefully) never be released. What a waste!!

They were discussing this on the radio today and they had quite a few callers that were former inmates. At least three claim that the gangs that troll prisons make inmates get the pell grants and fork over a large some to the gang for "protection"

The entire thing sickens me!

I don't see what is wrong with this. Don't these people deserve a chance at a good education? I mean come one, how can you begrudge them a 2nd or 3rd or 4th or 5th chance? It's just cruel and heartless. Shame on you guys. :snooty:

Uh, do I have to add just kidding so I don't get slammed? :rolleyes:

The bottom line is we need our sexual offenders to remain as dumb as possible so when they are released prematurely and make a b-line straight for a kid they'll get caught faster.

The bottom line is we need our sexual offenders to remain as dumb as possible so when they are released prematurely and make a b-line straight for a kid they'll get caught faster.
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

I don't see what is wrong with this. Don't these people deserve a chance at a good education? I mean come one, how can you begrudge them a 2nd or 3rd or 4th or 5th chance? It's just cruel and heartless. Shame on you guys. :snooty:

Uh, do I have to add just kidding so I don't get slammed? :rolleyes:
I am glad you added, I got scared for a minute! I wouldn't slam you, but I was thinking up my response!:blushing:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back