CO CO - Benjamin Gray, 51, Montrose, 30 May 1978

Rle7

Reaction score
Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
Missing Since: May 30, 1978 from Montrose, Colorado
Classification: Endangered Missing
Height: 5'8
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian male. Brown hair, blue eyes. Gray's nickname is Ben. He wears eyeglasses. The middle finger on his right hand is crippled and he has a scar on his knee.
Clothing/Jewelry Description: A diamond ring with large sets around it.

bar.jpg

Details of Disappearance
Gray was last seen in Montrose, Colorado on May 30, 1978. He leased the top floor of the Chipeta Bar and Cafe in the 10 block of south Uncompahgre. Gray left the establishment with a friend late in the evening on May 30. They were going to Gray's family's ranch in Gunnison County, Colorado to lease some cattle. Gray's friend claims he took Gray back to the Chipeta Bar at 4:00 a.m. on May 31 and saw him go inside, but he never arrived in his rooms and has never been heard from again.
Gray left behind a wife and children. His friend who was with him the night of his disappearance is the last person known to have seen him. The friend was questioned by police, then retained an attorney and ceased cooperating with the investigation. Gray had made many business ventures prior to his disappearance and may have made enemies as a result, but his loved ones stated he was generally well-liked locally. He was deep in debt at the time he went missing and his family later lost their ranch. Gray's checkbook was found on Blue Mesa, adjacent to his family's ranch, sometime after his disappearance. This has been the only trace of him since he went missing. Although there is no evidence that foul play was involved in his case, it is uncharacteristic of him to leave without warning.

bar.jpg

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Montrose Police Department
970-252-5200

bar.jpg
Source Information
The Montrose Press
The Grand Junction Daily Sentinel

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/gray_benjamin.html

Benjamin Franklin Gray was a middle-aged rancher when he left the upstairs suite he leased at the former Chipeta Bar and Café. He stepped out with a friend late May 30, 1978, headed for the family ranch in Gunnison County.

The friend said he dropped Gray back at 10 S. Uncompahgre at around 4 a.m. May 31 and that as far as he knew, Gray was back at his rooms.

But he wasn't. Ben Gray hasn't been seen for nearly 30 years; his ranch passed into other hands and his family is trapped in the hell of not knowing his fate. His is one of hundreds of cases now undergoing analysis through the Colorado Bureau of Investigation's cold case unit.

http://www.montrosepress.com/articles/2008/03/19/news/doc47dc7862d84d1414945133.txt

Ben Gray's wife, Barbara Ann Gray, passed away on June 14, 2010. She never knew what happened to her husband and lost the ranch and everything in the aftermath of his disappearence. She is survived by her children (I went through school with most of them), grandchildren, great-grandchildren, nieces and nephews. I must say, that she now knows the truth of Ben Gray's disappearence. Here's hoping that the rest of the family learns the truth someday. Someof us still believe that Ben's ghost still rides the ranch looking for his killer.

The Doe Network says no DNA, I wonder if that is still the case? He has a bunch of comparions with Virginia cases, which I thought was a DNA thing? If that isnt the case, he bears resemblance to a John Doe case from Maryland that has DNA on file, although the height is a few inches off.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
2161UMMD

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 5
I'm curious what leads you to believe that these are the same person?
View attachment 231299

The descriptions of the UID and MP on NAMUS.

Dentals match, both have no teeth (edentulous).

Last I checked when NAMUS had the info there was an initial inquiry for MP DNA. I don't knoe the status now

I'm confident Benjamin Gray and the UID are the same.

Mr. Gray is featured this week on the Charley Project homepage.
I can't help but wonder if the last man to see him ever did allow law enforcement to interview him.
I don't think Mr. Gray is the UID from California, based on the circumstances, because I don't think he walked away willingly.
How sad for his family to lack answers and closure.
All in my opinion only.

Benjamin Gray's profile on NamUs:

Height: 5' 4" - 5' 6" (64 - 66 Inches)
Weight: 165 - 180 lbs

Circumstances of Disappearance:
Ben left his residence in Montrose, CO on 05/31/1978 with an acquaintance late in the day. He never returned.

Hair Color: Gray or Partially Gray
Head Hair Description:
Cut fairly short; Waves and curls

Body Hair Description:
Some chest hair

Facial Hair Description:
Sideburns

Eye Color: Blue

Artificial body part/aid: Dentures
Deformity: Long finger of left hand did not bend due to an old injury
Other distinctive physical characteristic: Healed broken bones from riding the rodeo in his younger days; Was a little bow-legged from riding horses

Accessories: Leather belt
Clothing: Green and white plaid cowboy shirt; Blue jeans
Eyewear: Black frame prescription eye glasses
Footwear: Cowboy boots
Jewelry: Heavy, gold man's ring with a diamond

Mr. Gray is featured this week on the Charley Project homepage.
I can't help but wonder if the last man to see him ever did allow law enforcement to interview him.
I don't think Mr. Gray is the UID from California, based on the circumstances, because I don't think he walked away willingly.
How sad for his family to lack answers and closure.
All in my opinion only.
I agree, I think the “friend” had something to do with it. They found the checkbook outside near the ranch, it’s easy to dump a body and the animals will make quick work of it out there.

Nice article about Benjamin

May 24, 2020

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff