GUILTY WA - Jane Britt, 75, found strangled in her car, Federal Way, 19 March 2008

SuziQ

Former Member
Reaction score
Strange case. Jane was found strangled in her car trunk at the car center she visited her husband at twice a day. More info at the below link:

http://www.komotv.com/news/16904906.html

A 75-year-old woman who was found dead in her car's trunk was strangled, the King County Medical Examiner's Office said Friday.

Jane Carol Britt was found Wednesday in the trunk of her 2002 Gold Mercedes in the parking lot of the Garden Terrace Alzheimer's Center of Excellence. Her son says she had gone there to visit her husband.
Police on Friday also cleared a man previously sought as a person of interest in the case. Surveillance video showed the man limping away from the scene where Britt was found, but the man came forward and spoke with investigators, who said they determined he was not involved. Detectives still don't know what prompted the killing and say they're desperate for leads.

I'd sure like to know more, like did she ever make it into the center to visit her hubby? Who's to say her son didn't strangle her, put her in the trunk, drive her there and then walk away? Just thinking out loud here.

It takes a long time to strangle someone totally, so I would think there would be a struggle and maybe witnesses.

Todd Fletcher, regional vice president for Life Care Centers of America, said that Britt left the Garden Terrace Alzheimer's Center of Excellence, at 491 S. 338th St., around 7 p.m. Tuesday and the staff and Britt's family found her vehicle in the lot at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday.
Fletcher was uncertain if the vehicle had been moved since Tuesday. Britt's family contacted police Tuesday night to report her missing.
Fletcher said that on Tuesday, the woman visited her husband alone and left the building by herself. He said that staff members didn't see anything out of the ordinary Tuesday night.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004294890_webfederalway20m.html

You would think that her son would have known his mom schedule and tracked her route. Did he or employees check to see if her car was in the parking lot Tuesday night?

That's what I think is odd, SuziQ. She visited quite often apparently. Why didn't they check there Tuesday night when she was reported missing? Maybe she didn't normally go on Tuesday nights, but I still think that would be one of the places I'd check if I was her child.

Police believe that Britt went to the Garden Terrace Alzheimer Center, 491 S. 338th St., for one of her twice-daily visits to her husband, Frank Britt. The husband has been a patient at the nursing home for the past two years.
On Wednesday, one of Britt's sons called police after his mother failed to make several appointments. Police discovered her body in the car that afternoon. The vehicle was still in the parking lot of the nursing home.
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/355980_fedway22.html?source=mypi

I thought she was reported missing Tuesday night? **scratching head**

Full name: Jane Carol Pace Britt
Husband's name: Frank Britt (still looking for more info)

The transient 'person of interest' mentioned in the local news stories has been ruled out per the police as reported on tonight's local news. Mrs. Britt was found with her purse and apparently was not a victim of a robbery.

I wonder if since she was in a newer Mercedes and her husband is in a very expensive nursing home whether there is a great deal of wealth involved in this situation? The husband is incapacitated so if the wife is gone... who stands to benefit from that?

Just from looking around the web, I felt $$ was in the family. Nothing proven, but just my gut. The son would be in his 50's if I have the right name (Howard). Maybe some other type of relative is involved.

I just think it's a weird way to kill a total stranger, but it's been done.

The article at the below link has more info. It also says she was reported missing on Wednesday. And that she hadn't been seen since she left for the care center at 7 on Tuesday. Other reports state she left the center at 7pm. I wonder what time she did leave the care center? Could it be an employee? Another visitor? LE stated the motive puzzles them. So it doesn't sound like a robbery.

Sorry, forgot the link!

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/updates/story/315372.html

This seems like a very personal crime to me.

That's interesting, SuziQ. I wonder where her car was found? Near the entrance, main road? Or in the back?

I would think most construction workers would be gone by 7. Motive doesn't seem to be theft of her purse or car, unless the killer was scared away before taking off w/her belongings and/or her car.

If you are a carjacker, do you want to drive off in a gold Mercedes? lol

It still sounds personal to me too...

SuziQ, I'm wondering if the care center isn't across the street from the building under construction. What do you think?

didnt I read somewhere that he was a retired person from Boing? that would probalby mean yes they had money.

If you look at this "courtyard" picture from the care center,
http://www.tlchoices.com/gardenterracefederalway/vtour?title=Courtyard
it looks like it might match up to a very small section directly N of the gas station in the trees behind or to the side of that oddly-shaped building. (LOL That's a lot of help, eh?) That's why I'm thinking the care center is that building or set of buildings.

Lol, actually that's the first building I focused on then noticed the location of the gas station and the area under construction next door would make more sense from the camera angle. Then I remembered (duh) that google satalite maps are about 2-3 years behind. So the building under construction should be completed by now.

thanks for the courtyard vid. That is the most beautiful care center I've ever seen! Me thinks poor Jane adored her husband. That breaks my heart.

Jane had three kids. Two sons who work for Boeing. So I assume the third is a daughter.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/updates/story/315372.html

Dupree works for The Boeing Co., and so did Britt’s husband before he retired in the late 1980s. Jane Britt worked as an accountant at home. The couple raised three children, including two sons who work for Boeing.

Oh, you are right, SuziQ. We just checked our home on google earth and it's about 1.5 yrs old gauging from our new roof and the pool we had back then.

She sounds like such a wonderful wife, going to visit her husband twice a day. Her family must be devastated. I hope they have a lot of good memories. I can't even imagine how they tell her husband. I don't mean to sound mean, but hopefully he's beyond the point of truly understanding what happened.

So which came first, the blunt force trauma on her head and neck...or the strangulation? I would say the blunt force trauma. Gosh, this is a weird one.

Reminds me of Michelle Young.

This is a little piece from another article about Jane. So sad :(

Britt was found Wednesday in the trunk of her 2002 Gold Mercedes in the parking lot of the Garden Terrace Alzheimer's Center of Excellence. Her family says she had gone there every day to visit her husband of 56 years, who suffers from Parkinson's disease.

Her husband is having a difficult time since her death, Rev. Hippe said. "He is devastated, confused and depressed by her absence."

From another article:
“She was his link to life, his hope and his love. He is devastated, confused, depressed by her absence,” read Hippe.

More at link: http://www.komotv.com/news/local/16928406.html
Another article: http://www.kirotv.com/news/15678033/detail.html

Oh, you are right, SuziQ. We just checked our home on google earth and it's about 1.5 yrs old gauging from our new roof and the pool we had back then.

She sounds like such a wonderful wife, going to visit her husband twice a day. Her family must be devastated. I hope they have a lot of good memories. I can't even imagine how they tell her husband. I don't mean to sound mean, but hopefully he's beyond the point of truly understanding what happened.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back