Vt. inmates call food foul, sue over it

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
There is an old thread about this that I started in the Jury Room here.
At this link;
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43262

Here is an update on this.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080322/ap_on_re_us/food_or_punishment

Parts of the update.

Most Vermont inmates given nutraloaf have used their eating utensils to throw body waste. Nutraloaf, however, is served on a simple piece of paper, removing from the inmate's reach the utensils that can be used to store the waste before it is thrown.
Hofmann said Vermont prisons average about one nutraloaf episode a month. Christopher Williams, 29, who is charged in a 2006 school shooting that killed two people in Essex, was given nutraloaf after he'd assaulted guards and smeared excrement in his cell.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

It sounds like it works to keep them in line. Thats what they get for throwing crap! No sympathy here. You get hungry enough, you'll eat it.
Besides, most of them get food from the commisary anyway. They won't starve.

I was just telling Hubby about this thread...

In the Military (Army) they can still dole out Half rations as punishment and I think the Navy can still give bread and water for up to one week...

Now these are men and women who FIGHT for our country yet the low life scumbags are suppose to get better??

Has anyone here ever eating a Field ration?? This IMO is what they should be fed ... but then the ACLU would scream they are to high caloric. Funny how it would be "inhumane" for scum bags in prison but totally OK for those who protect us.

I was just telling Hubby about this thread...

In the Military (Army) they can still dole out Half rations as punishment and I think the Navy can still give bread and water for up to one week...

Now these are men and women who FIGHT for our country yet the low life scumbags are suppose to get better??

Has anyone here ever eating a Field ration?? This IMO is what they should be fed ... but then the ACLU would scream they are to high caloric. Funny how it would be "inhumane" for scum bags in prison but totally OK for those who protect us.

I honestly did not know they punished people in the military like that. This makes me feel all the more unsympathetic to the jailbirds.
I just want to add here, YES, I HAVE BEEN in jail before....and I'd have much rather ate that than have crap or utensils thrown at me. Luckily I never had that happen, but I can only imagine the disgust....:eek:

I honestly did not know they punished people in the military like that. This makes me feel all the more unsympathetic to the jailbirds.
I just want to add here, YES, I HAVE BEEN in jail before....and I'd have much rather ate that than have crap or utensils thrown at me. Luckily I never had that happen, but I can only imagine the disgust....:eek:

I guess my question is .. if they behave that way then why are they permitted to visit general population??
I mean keep them in cells all day locked?

I dated a guy who said when he was in the army, him and several other guys waited on the officers. They had access to booze and all kinds of stuff. What did they steal? Chocolate milk. He said forget the booze they were starving! Nope, I don't feel sorry for the inmates.

I guess my question is .. if they behave that way then why are they permitted to visit general population??
I mean keep them in cells all day locked?

Very good question.
As I said, I have been in jail but
IF...and I never have...but IF I were one of the ones acting out....if nasty food was given to me it would straighten me up REAL QUICK!!!!!

Maybe if they want to fling poo, they can be moved from the prison into a zoo! ;)

I had to look up nutraloaf because I had no idea of what it was. Nutraloaf is a mixture of bread,vegetables,beans and other ingredients.This is served only to prisoners who tend to throw things at the guards.

This loaf does not sound all that bad for prisoners misbehaving.Several years ago,there was news about innocent,law abiding senior citizens buying the most cheapest brand of canned dog and cat food to eat,because they could not afford groceries on their very limited budget.When some were interviewed,the did not complain and said it wasn't so bad tasting,and you have to do what you have to do to survive.It broke my heart!

And these prisioners are complaining!!! Give them cat food to eat with their fingers! See how they like it!

My very dearest Capps,:blowkiss:
I have had this happen to me several times during my years on the job. It is very heartbreaking and it takes a toll on your state of mind when you have to have tests done to see if you have hep or some other disease.
I have had urine, feces, chewed up food, ect., thrown at me. I lost count how many times that I had been spit at, clawed and other things. Blood contact also. I am very grateful that I never contracted any diseases out of my years on the job. It is a miracle that I never did. The waiting period for the blood test results were just beyond words for me to describe. Not to mention the fact that you have to worry about carrying home some disease to your family. My shoes were always taken off before I entered my home, uniforms went right into the laundry no matter how tired I was when I came home. Many things that would take me hours to post here.
Of course they tell you to go with "Universal Precautions" well that does not always cover your butt. wearing gloves does not protect you from urine being thrown on you, needle pricks during a search and so on. I always thought the term "Universal Precaution" was a false bravado.

We were not allowed to know the specific medical status of the inmates. Even though we went on med trips and had to stand next to the nurse when meds were dispensed. Some will tell you what they have for a disease, but you cannot direct your doctor to check for those certain diseases when you have a blood test done, they have to run a battery of tests. When we had to have tests done because of what an inmate did to us when it came to being at risk because of bloodbourne pathogens, needle pricks, bites and other risk factors we had to spend sleepless nights worrying about the results.
Then you have to worry about your family. IE;
Do I have to cook with rubber gloves on?
Do I wash my clothes in a load seperate even my street clothes from my son's laundry?
Do I need to leave my work shoes outside the front door even though it is below zero outside?
Do I have to have a few drinks when I get home to calm me down and put me to sleep because I am so anxious because sleep does not come easy?
Do I snap at my Loved ones because I have not had the proper sleep due to constant overtime and worrying about contracting a disease just to pay my bills and live?
I said yes to all of these and more.

So much Love and Respect for you,
dark_shadows

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member