Craigslist hoax cost man his belongings, nearly his horse, too

Taximom

Former Member
Reaction score
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004303807_craigslist25m.html
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004302237_webhoax24m.html

There are two links, but it's the same story.

A pair of hoax ads on Craigslist cost an Oregon man much of what he owned.
The ads popped up Saturday afternoon, saying the owner of a Jacksonville home was forced to leave the area suddenly and his belongings, including a horse, were free for the taking, said Jackson County sheriff's Detective Sgt. Colin Fagan.
But Robert Salisbury had no plans to leave. The independent contractor was at Emigrant Lake when he got a call from a woman who had stopped by his house to claim his horse.

and

Detectives have contacted Craigslist's legal team to try to trace the ad.
Meanwhile, Salisbury could not even relax on his porch swing.
Someone took it.

*Related article about woman charged in a similar crime (not this one):
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003710460_craigslist17m.html

I think I'll be putting a note on my door that nothing in my home is free to take!!!

Somebody had to be mighty mad at this man. I hope they find the person did this because it's just plain wrong. Ain't it?

I think so, Filly. Very mad! But who would go to someone's home and take things just because there's an ad in the paper? :confused: Are there really "real" ads like that? I wouldn't think so. I think the gov't would try to auction off the shine on the floor if you asked me.

Yes, there are ads like that. On Freecycle (and other similarly named lists), people post things they don't need )or things they want), hoping someone else on the list will reply and give whatever it is a new home. The idea is to rehome the thing rather than just throw it away, keeping an otherwise useful object from taking up space in a landfill.

Lots of women use it to ask for and recieve baby items.

I have seen people actually ask for or offer cars or other high end items.

And sometimes, people will just say, rather than wait around all day for someone to show up, that they will leave whatever it is outside on the porch or whatever.

I used to be a freecycle member, but I never saw an ad that said "Gov't owned home and all things in it are free"! lol I saw one news article about a family that wanted to get simple in their life and gave a whole lot away, but they were there and let the people go through their home while they watched.

I hope they find the jerk that did this and stick them in jail for a while!

People are freaks!

I was at an "estate sale" a few weeks ago and two women were bickering over the probably used plastic forks left in the (crumb filled) silverware drawer! :rolleyes:

Yes, I have also seen ad's where people say the item will be left outside, first person to come pick it up, it's theirs.

Maybe in the future, these ad's should still include contact info so people can at least call and verify the ad is not a hoax. I would feel awful if I went and picked something up that I thought was free and found out that someone set the person up.

I can't find the article I read this morning. But LE tracked the IP addy and is close to an arrest. They were in the process of obtaining an arrest warrant.

You've all heard the jokes about the woman who found out her husband was cheating with a younger woman, so she sold all his stuff for cheap...like his custom golf clubs for $5. I wonder if this is something like that.

If so, it's funnier in a joke.:rolleyes:

Yes, there are ads like that. On Freecycle (and other similarly named lists), people post things they don't need )or things they want), hoping someone else on the list will reply and give whatever it is a new home. The idea is to rehome the thing rather than just throw it away, keeping an otherwise useful object from taking up space in a landfill.

And sometimes, people will just say, rather than wait around all day for someone to show up, that they will leave whatever it is outside on the porch or whatever.

I've gotten plenty of baby items including a HUGE bag of cloth diapers, clothes, a play mat and a CRIB for a 14yr old was pregnant. I have also given things away. I usually tell who ever that it will be on the front porch. It makes it safer if we don't have to meet. You never know who is responding. I love Freecycle!!

I am the moderator of my local freecycle and I do not permit high end item requests. Nor would I permit a post like the one in this article.
Now if someone says they will leave something on the porch for another that would have to take place in private between the owner and taker NOT posted for all to see.

LOL, Glitch!

We always joke that if someone came in to rob us, they'd LEAVE us stuff instead because we have nothing. :D

Amra, I left our freecycle group a while ago, but I don't remember that many "whoever wants to come and get it" ads, either. Too many people didn't get there first and would complain, so it stopped early on.

Pickups/deliveries were made via private emails between the two parties, IIRC.

I left because I got tired of making arrangements with people that would never come!! I had decent things too, like an entire (barely used) swingset.

I guess I would just be leery of any ad saying to basically come empty out a home.

LOL, Glitch!

We always joke that if someone came in to rob us, they'd LEAVE us stuff instead because we have nothing. :D

I can see me doing that. If I were a thief and came upon a house where there were dogs and not much dog food, I'd probably sneak back later and dump off a 50# bag of Old Roy. *grin*

LOL, Glitch, we were hoping someone would leave a stereo, a dvd player, some movies on dvd, and maybe a WII. :D

Update:
http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_032408_news_craigslist_hoax.1ffb2c9c.html

03:57 PM PDT on Sunday, March 30, 2008

[SIZE=-1]By AP and kgw.com Staff [/SIZE]

JACKSONVILLE, Ore. -- Police were examining a computer that may have been involved in the case of a cruel Craigslist hoax that cost a Southern Oregon man much of what he owned. (more at link plus pic)

People are returning items! That's cool.

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_040108_news_craigslist_hoax_arrest.1fa31526.html

Craigslist hoax was elaborate burglary coverup.

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_040108_news_craigslist_hoax_arrest.1fa31526.html

Police arrested two suspects Monday night in the cruel Craigslist hoax that cost a Southern Oregon man much of what he owned.

Amber Herbert, 28, of Medford, and her husband, Brandon Herbert, 29, were arrested and charged with conspiracy to commit burglary and conspiracy to commit a computer crime

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back