http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,342155,00.html

"Two Children Found Dead Linked to University of Louisville Hostage Situation

Thursday, March 27, 2008

* Print

* Share:
o Digg
o Facebook
o StumbleUpon

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Police say two children were found dead in a home after University of Louisville police disarmed a woman who walked into a campus building with a gun. Police say the two are connected.

Officer Phil Russell of the city police department says the children were found dead Thursday morning after university police asked city officers to check on them. Russell says that request came after university police disarmed the woman on campus. No one was injured at the university.

A safety alert posted on the school's Web site described the armed person as a student, but university spokeswoman Cindy Hess said she couldn't confirm that.

Russell says officers found the children "fatally wounded." Police earlier said the two children had been shot but were unable to confirm that at the scene."

Wow. It was raining this morning so I blew off my appointment at U of L, which would have coincided with the timing of the hostage situation. I feel creeped out. Anyway, I wonder what the connection will turn out to be.

Local news had an old woman on who said the mom of the teens was sweet, and a widow. I am so sad, as I have a teen. :( Plus it creeps people out in my city when this kind of crime happens outside of the ghetto/hood. This happened in a very nice brick house neighborhood.

WOW, goddess, I'm glad you blew off that appointment. I hadn't heard of the UofL situation. ((goddess))

"On Settle Boulevard, Patty Schneider, who lives across the street from the home where the children were found, said she looked out her window this morning and noticed police cars.

A short time later, in talking with officers, she told them she had a key to the home, which they used to enter.

Schneider said the woman who lived at home is widow and has resided there with her two children for about 11 years.

Schneider, who was visibly shaken and teary, said she was devastated by the deaths of the children, who she estimated were 13 and 11.

"I never would have guessed it," she said."...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-03-27-children-killed_N.htm

Sheesh, the madness than can go on even in nice tidy neighborhoods never ceases to astound me. I wonder if the woman had been a widow for long.

Well, this one sure hits close to home. I live in Louisville, but on the other side of town from this neighborhood. Does there appear to be any motive? And why would she head to campus and hold hostages?? This one doesn't make any sense to me yet ...

Any more on this? It just makes me so sad she would harm them instead of just herself. Mothers who kill their children are the lowest of the low.

Here's an article with pictures of the mother and her children. Police believe they were killed in their sleep. They are darling; it is so sad. I haven't seen any explanation yet for their mom's actions. I'm sure some explanation will come out at trial. We'll see whether it is believable.

http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=8081245&nav=0RZF

Oh my God. This case is so sad on so many levels. A widow - hmmm... now I need to know what happened to her husband. I hate being so jaded, but there I am! Don't you think that most women who kill their children do so because they think the children will be better off - unless there is a boyfriend; and the kids are in the way of that boyfriend? This case seems more like a "mercy killing" from the mother's perspective. A boyfriend should not have been a problem if she were a widow. I can see a situation where she intended to kill herself - possibly by LE homicide during a hostage taking - and before doing so, she killed her children so they would not have to lose their second parent. That would be so sad even for her - because someday - she might regain her sanity and realize what she has done. Horrible, absolutely horrible. Do the rest of you sit and drink whiskey when you read this stuff??? Just wondering.....:(

From September 2011:

http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/129116248.html

A Louisville woman charged with killing her two children has pleaded guilty to murder.

Gail Lynn Coontz entered the plea Friday in Jefferson Circuit Court, just days before her scheduled Sept. 12 trial date. She also pleaded guilty to tampering with physical evidence, terroristic threatening, unlawful imprisonment and wanton endangerment.

Coontz will serve life in prison without a chance at parole for 25 years...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arsongirlfriend
Back