OH - Teresa Milbrandt faked daughter's cancer for donations, Urbana, 2002

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
MARYSVILLE, Ohio (AP) - A woman imprisoned for faking her daughter's leukemia to gain thousands of dollars in donations said she concocted the scheme to keep her husband from leaving.

Teresa Milbrandt told the Columbus Dispatch for a story in Sunday's editions that she regrets what she did, which included shaving her daughter Hannah's head and giving her sleeping pills to make it look like she was undergoing chemotherapy. She also made Hannah wear a protective mask and put her in counselling to prepare for death.

"Last week, I said to someone, 'I wonder if I could pay the doctor and have him give me a lethal injection,' " she told the newspaper in an interview at the Ohio Reformatory for Women. "I can't hardly live in my own skin."

Milbrandt was sentenced to 6 1/2 years in prison after pleading guilty last August to felony charges of endangering children, grand theft and theft.

Authorities said Milbrandt and her husband fooled 65 people and businesses in their hometown of Urbana into donating an estimated $31,000 US for Hannah's treatment.

Robert Milbrandt was sentenced to four years and 11 months in prison. He has said his wife handled all doctor visits and medical bills and that he believed her when she said their daughter had cancer.

Teresa Milbrandt said the ruse began in early 2002 during intense arguments with her husband.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2004/03/28/399857-ap.html

Casshew said:
MARYSVILLE, Ohio (AP) - A woman imprisoned for faking her daughter's leukemia to gain thousands of dollars in donations said she concocted the scheme to keep her husband from leaving.

Teresa Milbrandt told the Columbus Dispatch for a story in Sunday's editions that she regrets what she did, which included shaving her daughter Hannah's head and giving her sleeping pills to make it look like she was undergoing chemotherapy. She also made Hannah wear a protective mask and put her in counselling to prepare for death.

"Last week, I said to someone, 'I wonder if I could pay the doctor and have him give me a lethal injection,' " she told the newspaper in an interview at the Ohio Reformatory for Women. "I can't hardly live in my own skin."
Milbrandt was sentenced to 6 1/2 years in prison after pleading guilty last August to felony charges of endangering children, grand theft and theft.

Authorities said Milbrandt and her husband fooled 65 people and businesses in their hometown of Urbana into donating an estimated $31,000 US for Hannah's treatment.

Robert Milbrandt was sentenced to four years and 11 months in prison. He has said his wife handled all doctor visits and medical bills and that he believed her when she said their daughter had cancer.

Teresa Milbrandt said the ruse began in early 2002 during intense arguments with her husband.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2004/03/28/399857-ap.html

Well you sure as heck aren't going to get any PITY from me!!! She gets 6 1/2 years for ruining her child's life - I say she should have gotten life!

Toth said:
Ruining the child's life?
The daughter knew she wasn't sick didn't she?
Actually Toth, if I remember correctly she did think she had cancer. Her mother use to give her "cancer treatments" at home.

Toth said:
Ruining the child's life?
The daughter knew she wasn't sick didn't she?

Well I sure as heck don't think the daughter was in cahoots (sp?) with the mother. AND, even if she knew it was all a ruse, I would believe it would still have quite an impact on her.

I'm sure the kid thought she was dying............

Our local paper today had an article saying she gave the child herbal medicines, etc. and told her they were cancer treatments. She also said she gave her the sleeping pills so the child would be "out of it" and the mother could convince her they had been to see a doctor during the time she was sleeping, and the child just did not remember it.

Only 6 1/2 years? Not long enough, I think. The child is with a foster family and (hopefully) receiving counseling.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back