PA PA - Candace Clothier, 16, Philadelphia, 9 March 1968

This is a very sad case...the poem the mother wrote really got to me..and the postscript was nothing short of heart-wrenching. "Our prayers were answered on April 13, 1968."

You would think they could still possibly get some DNA from the bag she was found in. And the possible Ted Bundy connection is very interesting.

After reading the article about Candace again, I also found the possible connection to the Tent Girl very interesting. Here's another article by Todd Matthews of the Doe Network, who was responsible for identifying the Tent Girl as Barbara Ann Hackman-Taylor, 30 years after her body was found. This article was written 5 years ago and apparently nothing has been established or it would have been mentioned in the more recent story that newshound81 provided the link for.

It's an interesting read just the same.

http://www.angelfire.com/tn3/masterdetective/CandaceClothier.html

per NBC 10 news, they have identified 2 men as Candace's killers, but cannot prosecute since they are both deceased. Teaser, they said there will be more information on the 11pm news. Will look for a link.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/local/88337727.html

March 18, 2010

For 42 years, the black-and-white yearbook image of Candace Clothier - '60s-style bangs beneath a white mini-bow - had haunted a graying band of police investigators.

On March 9, 1968, the 16-year-old Lincoln High School student with the midnight Saturday curfew left her Northeast Philadelphia home around 8 p.m.

She never returned.

Five weeks later, after a massive search, extensive news coverage, and hundreds of police interviews, Clothier's body was found stuffed inside a black bag on a secluded island in Bucks County's Neshaminy Creek.

Yesterday, Bucks County District Attorney David Heckler announced the official end of the case, convinced that police had gotten as close to the truth as possible and that those who had caused the girl's death were long-deceased.

Authorities believe that Clothier most likely died of an overdose of drugs that she may have been forced to take or that were injected into her without her consent.

One of the three men involved had a history of forcibly injecting humans and animals, Heckler said. He refused to identify the men, saying all were slightly older than Clothier and had died between 1975 and 2000 of causes he would not disclose.

"These men are dead and beyond the reach of human justice," Heckler said. Since they can neither be charged nor defend themselves, identifying them would "simply blacken their family's names or impact unfairly on their relatives.":waitasec:

from the article linked in my post above:

According to information developed since 2005, Clothier was believed to have been walking to catch a trackless trolley when she accepted a ride from a car carrying two men. She recognized at least one of them, Heckler said.

The men drove her to a deserted area off Decatur Road near Northeast Philadelphia Airport, where youths often gathered. There, Clothier "may have been involuntarily injected or given a controlled substance" that killed her, Northampton Township Police Chief Barry Pilla said.

The two men drove Clothier's body to the home of a third man, whose wife provided the black cloth bag that was used to dispose of the corpse. The body then was dumped into Neshaminy Creek from the Chain Bridge in Northampton, just upstream from Bucks County Community College.

The long-dormant investigation was revived five years ago when NBC10 revisited Clothier's death as part of a cold-case series. The woman who had provided the black bag for the body saw the report and came forward. She identified the bag, which had a distinctive, multicolored tie string, and gave new leads about what had happened.

"If any of those men had been alive when police received this information - even if one were clinging to life support in some nursing home - we would be working today to gather evidence to achieve a murder conviction," Heckler said.

"If any of those men had been alive when police received this information - even if one were clinging to life support in some nursing home - we would be working today to gather evidence to achieve a murder conviction," Heckler said.

This says it all imo. What justice is this if they don't know they have the evidence to say for certain?

Sorry, I don't care about their families "good name". If they have the evidence they should release their names. HER name receiving justice is more important than THEIR names being protected, IMO.

I have a feeling the family's good name is less important than the family's good name on a lawsuit against the city.

Candace Lynne “Candy” Clothier

Candace Lynne “Candy” Clothier​

BIRTH 2 Sep 1951 Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, USA
DEATH 9 Mar 1968 (aged 16) Torresdale, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, USA
BURIAL Greenmount Cemetery Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, USA

Candy was a junior in Abraham Lincoln High School. She was a popular girl loved by everyone who knew her. Her family moved to the Torresdale section of Philly but they are originally from Mayfair. She is dearly missed by her family and many friends. May she rest in eternal peace.

LINK:

Thanks, I think it's great it's "solved" but I disagree with keeping their names quiet. Not any kind of justice, IMO.
I agree the names of the people who killed her should be known to the public not kept a secret they have No rights

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/local/88337727.html

March 18, 2010

For 42 years, the black-and-white yearbook image of Candace Clothier - '60s-style bangs beneath a white mini-bow - had haunted a graying band of police investigators.

On March 9, 1968, the 16-year-old Lincoln High School student with the midnight Saturday curfew left her Northeast Philadelphia home around 8 p.m.

She never returned.

Five weeks later, after a massive search, extensive news coverage, and hundreds of police interviews, Clothier's body was found stuffed inside a black bag on a secluded island in Bucks County's Neshaminy Creek.

Yesterday, Bucks County District Attorney David Heckler announced the official end of the case, convinced that police had gotten as close to the truth as possible and that those who had caused the girl's death were long-deceased.

Authorities believe that Clothier most likely died of an overdose of drugs that she may have been forced to take or that were injected into her without her consent.

One of the three men involved had a history of forcibly injecting humans and animals, Heckler said. He refused to identify the men, saying all were slightly older than Clothier and had died between 1975 and 2000 of causes he would not disclose.

"These men are dead and beyond the reach of human justice," Heckler said. Since they can neither be charged nor defend themselves, identifying them would "simply blacken their family's names or impact unfairly on their relatives.":waitasec:
I find that the police should have releAsked the names of the 3 men who killed this girl n forcefully injected her with drugs . They should not have protected the families of theses killers just for what?. I am from this area something is wrong ? Cover up for somebody

Thanks, I think it's great it's "solved" but I disagree with keeping their names quiet. Not any kind of justice, IMO.
I disagree also I really think this was a cover up n I do not understand why her family would not fight to have those 3 men”$ names released

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back