Student Sues 'Anti-Christian' Teacher Over Remarks in Class

sherri79

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,345274,00.html

A student and his family have filed a federal lawsuit demanding that a popular European history teacher at California's Capistrano Valley High School be fired for what they say were anti-Christian remarks he made in the classroom.
Chad Farnan, a 16-year-old sophomore, says the teacher, James Corbett, told his students that “Jesus glasses” obscure the truth and suggested that Christians are more likely than other people to commit rape and murder.
Farnan recorded his teacher telling students in class: “What country has the highest murder rate? The South! What part of the country has the highest rape rate? The South! What part of the country has the highest rate of church attendance? The South!” Farnan said he took the tape recorder to class to supplement his class notes.

Well, they don't appear to be in it for the money, I think this a reasonable solution:

The Farnans say that if the school agrees to put Corbett through sensitivity training and requires him to apologize to the students he offended, then the family would consider dropping their lawsuit. The school district has yet to comment on the offer.

I'm not a Christian, but I will say that that teacher was in the wrong. I am a vocal person about "separation of church and state", when it comes to our schools... and that goes for both sides... those that are against Christianity should leave their views out of the classroom. The teacher should be held accountable for his actions...

Not on board with the lawsuit... lawsuits against schools means taxpayers taking it in the pocket.

Well, he had no right to say what he did in class. This teacher was out of line and he should apologize for his remarks. If those are his personal thoughts, fine, but I don't think teachers should teach their personal thoughts in public schools. Training, hell yes.

Gosh this story is from last year. I think we have a thread on this somwhere. It is a local story for me and I talked to a lot of people on both sides of the fence when this first happened. It seems as though more people were supporting the teacher at the time this happened.
I'll have to read more critically and see what brings this to the news.

Okay here is how it was originally portayed. I'll re read and see what if anything has changed.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57605&highlight=farnan

There are some good links in there with the whole complaint and their appearance on Bill O Reilly I think.

OH and I work with Bob Tyler that is representing the family. He works for Faith and Freedom here. At least he was working on this case originally.

OH and I work with Bob Tyler that is representing the family. He works for Faith and Freedom here. At least he was working on this case originally.

Very Kewl JB ... let us know if there's any updates! :blowkiss:

I heard one of the tapes. I found the teachers remarks extremely insensitive.

The statements made by the teacher as quoted are definitely insensitive and unnecessary. If he wanted to make a valid point about religion and religious people not being immune to immoral and criminal behavior, or that, historically, organized religion and fundamentalism in any religion breeds violence and hatred, he could have done so by using historical facts and documented statistics and without specifically bashing Christianity and people of the South.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back