Rle7

Reaction score
Adam Matthew O'Brien
Missing since November 9, 1996 from Torbay, Newfoundland, Canada
Classification: Family Abduction

Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth: October 28, 1982
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 14 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'0" (152 cm); 99 lbs (45 kg)
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair; blue eyes
Circumstances of Disappearance
Adam and his brothers, Trevor and Mitchell, were abducted by his father, Gary Joseph O'Brien. On November 9, 1996 Gary O'Brien failed to return his three children to their mother as required by a specific access order. Investigation revealed that Gary O'Brien built an elaborate trap at his residence in Torbay designed to cause an explosion when a person entered the home. He advised his wife that she would not see her children again. Gary O'Brien has a history of psychiatric problems, violence and suicidal tendencies.

Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth: October 17, 1956
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'10"; 132 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Grey hair; Blue eyes.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Royal Newfoundland Constabulary
709-729-8000

NCMEC #: RCMP9600663
NCIC Number:
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case. Source Information:
National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
North American Missing Persons Network

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1419dmnf.html

Trevor Anthony Thomas O'Brien
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1766dmnf.html

Mitchell Gary Marcus O'Brien
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1718dmnf.html

Investigation revealed that Gary O'Brien built an elaborate trap at his residence in Torbay designed to cause an explosion when a person entered the home.

Whoa :eek:

I imagine he was hoping his ex would enter the home?

Adam, Trevor and Mitchell O'BRIEN – Parental Abduction

obrien-2.jpg
Photo of Adam O'BRIEN

obrien-1.jpg
Photo of Trevor O'BRIEN

obrien-3.jpg
Photo of Mitchell O'BRIEN

obrien-4.jpg
O'BRIEN family in 1995

On November 9, 1996, 4 year-old Mitchell, 11 year-old Trevor and 14 year-old Adam O'Brien went missing from Mount Pearl, Newfoundland. Their father, Gary O'Brien, had picked them up at their mother's apartment that day for a scheduled visit.

At 8:30 that night, Gary called and told their mother, Diana Boland, that he was not returning the children and that the family home in Torbay was rigged to explode if anyone tampered with it. When Diana asked to speak with the children he replied "later." He then swore at her and the line went dead.

She called the police and she repeated her conversation with the father to the police officer who came to her apartment. The police department dispatched officers to the residence in Torbay. Upon arrival they discovered that the house was indeed rigged to explode. If someone were to ring the doorbell, the house would have exploded creating a large fireball.

"The events of that day have changed my life. I went from being a busy mother of three active sons that filled my life with so much purpose, to, after nearly 18 years still heart broken and always incomplete. I will never end the search until my three precious sons are back in my arms and my life again or until I take my last breath."

http://www.canadasmissing.ca/nmcd-jned/obrien-eng.htm

Calling all fellow Canadian Websleuths Friends - Calling all Websleuth Friends

218478_224709754209117_3155161_o.jpg

I found this case tonight while searching Canada's Missing site, and I think this Mother needs our help.

This case reminds me of the Skelton case, and I just feel sure, given the Thunder Bay, Ontario tip, that these boys/young men must still be alive.

It is my opinion that we can help solve this case and bring these boys home to their Mother, who must surely have a broken heart.

I will post everything I can find, and I have a few thoughts for sleuthing, but, lets see what we have here.

WG

More background -

article_large.jpg

During an interview earlier this week, Boland spoke openly about her boys, her ex-husband and her 15-year ordeal.She is unwavering in her belief that Adam, Trevor and Mitchell — her only children, ages 14, 11 and four when they were taken away — are alive and will be part of her life again.

“I’m looking forward to being a grandma,” she says with a confident smile.

Ask her why she thinks none of her sons has contacted her, Boland says she gets asked that a lot and has given it much thought.

Her conclusion is that O’Brien took the boys to some sort of religious commune.

“If he’s on that kind of a compound, there’s no computers, no news. That’s the only answer I can possibly come up with.”

That’s why she doesn’t put the idea of the religious compound past him. She feels he’d look for such a place and be content to stay there.“Gary doesn’t have to be in touch with the outside world at all.”

Boland said O’Brien had control over the boys and they would have done what he wanted.

She’s also convinced people close to her ex have information about the disappearance and her sons.

There’s been a warrant out for O’Brien’s arrest since he disappeared.Police agencies have received hundreds of tips and the story was covered by the high-profile U.S. TV programs “American’s Most Wanted” and “The Montel Williams Show.”

Police have also offered a $50,000 reward.

http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loc...oI-will-always-be-looking-for-my-sons&rsquo/1

What a disgusting, evil man. I wonder what his family has to say about what he did. Did they help with trying to find those poor children? Do they have any clue where he went?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vital statistics: Adam is a white male. He was born on October 28, 1982. Dark brown hair, blue eyes. At the time of his disappearance he wore clear braces on his top front teeth. Was fourteen at the time. Mitchell is a white male. He was born on November 29, 1991. Dark brown hair, brown eyes. His hair naturally splits in the center of his head and he has a tendency to push two fingers on the side of his nose. He is described as shy. Was four at the time. Trevor is a white male. He was born on May 8, 1985. Dark brown hair, blue eyes. He has a small scar on the back of his head. He is described as liking horseplay and telling jokes. Was eleven at the time.

NCIC numbers: M-978496152 (Adam), M-978498974 (Mitchell), and M-978498668 (Trevor)

Circumstances: They were abducted by their non-custodial father, Gary Joseph O'Brien. A photo and vital statistics are posted below. He typically had visitation with them on Saturdays and on the above date their mother, Diane Boland, advised him Mitchell was ill and suggested he stay at home instead of going. He told her to have all three ready to visit with him. He called her at 8:30 in the evening and told her that he was not returning the boys and had built a trap in his home that would explode when someone entered the residence. His house was found to be rigged with a propane fuelled bomb that could have destroyed the whole neighborhood. He had previously threatened their mother by telling her she would not see her children again. Felony warrants are on file for him for kidnapping, attempted murder, and crimes against life and health. They may be traveling in a gray 1989 Ford Tempo with Newfoundland license plate AMX 635. In 1997 the engine from a 1989 Tempo was found in the ocean off a cliff near Torbay. It is not known whether it was from Gary's car or if anyone was in the vehicle at the time. Caution is advised.

Gary O'Brien - Vital statistics: White male. Born on October 17, 1956. Gray hair, blue eyes. He has a moustache and a false tooth. He is described as quiet and is a smoker. He frequents game arcades and swimming pools. He has a history of psychiatric problems and suicidal tendencies. Was forty at the time. CAUTION ADVISED: THE ABDUCTOR MAY BE VIOLENT.

If you have any information as to the O'Brien childrens' whereabouts, please contact the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary at 709-729-8000. Any information received can be kept confidential.

http://www.forthelost.org/family/obrien.html

It is possible that the reason none of the boys have tried to contact their mother was they believed she was dead. Maybe they were told at the time and/or had been brainwashed over time that their mother had died. Now that the story is back on the forefront, maybe one of the boys will recognize himself or his mother from the published articles and try to make contact.

AC2C8C87A1A29F24D379EBA32B98E.jpg

It has been 16 years since Adam, Trevor, and Mitchell were last seen. They would be 29, 27, and 20 years old today.

If you know anything about their disappearance or where Adam, Trevor or Mitchell might be today, please call Cst. Danny Doiron of the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary 709-729-8684 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477)

http://news.ca.msn.com/missing-children-nine-canadian-cases?page=9#image=9

Ontario police trying to refresh O'Brien lead

CBC News Posted: Apr 22, 1999 5:34 AM ET Last Updated: Apr 22, 1999 5:34 AM ET

Last year Child Find Canada received an anonymous tip from a woman in Thunder Bay. She recognized pictures of the boys on a visa bill.

Detective Constable Don Hurd says the caller identified herself as a babysitter who had taken care of the boys. Hurd says the woman knew some family-related details, such as one of the boy's nicknames.

Thunder Bay Police have been trying to find her, O'Brien and the children. Hurd says investigators have exhausted all possible angles, so they are going public in hopes of finding the woman.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ontario-police-trying-to-refresh-o-brien-lead-1.174920

WG, no biggy, but your math is off a smidge. It will be 18 years this November, at which time their ages should be 22, 29, 32.

On the FB page in 2011, a poster makes a rude comment about someone being a . Not sure who he is referring to. However, if you look at that dude's photos, there is a pic of someone who looks like I think GO'B might look like now, although heavier. Could be zip, but ???

In the FB group, a friend of the boys, AK who is now a LEO, says the Thunder Bay babysitting story (1998) was unfounded.

I agree that GO'Bs family must know something. Where are they? Surely they must be concerned about their missing relatives :rolleyes: Conspicuous by their absence, no?

Another FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.157419784352509.36810.145088278918993&type=1

Says over 200 sightings from Canada and the US ... some from folks who knew what GO'B and the boys looked like.

Weird .. typed GO'Bs name into an Interpol search and only comes up with a page for Mitchell which contains info on Gary and Trevor, but nothing on Adam:

http://www.interpol.int/notice/search/missing/2000-15132

The page on GO'B shows he's also wanted on 4 counts of breach of recognizance, so seems he had a record for something prior to the disappearances:

http://www.interpol.int/notice/search/wanted/2000-15119

WG, no biggy, but your math is off a smidge. It will be 18 years this November, at which time their ages should be 22, 29, 32.

On the FB page in 2011, a poster makes a rude comment about someone being a . Not sure who he is referring to. However, if you look at that dude's photos, there is a pic of someone who looks like I think GO'B might look like now, although heavier. Could be zip, but ???

In the FB group, a friend of the boys, AK who is now a LEO, says the Thunder Bay babysitting story (1998) was unfounded.

I agree that GO'Bs family must know something. Where are they? Surely they must be concerned about their missing relatives :rolleyes: Conspicuous by their absence, no?

It looks like the comment was related to the post by the person who says they were 'beat up regularly and abused' - looks like that person's facebook had been hacked at the time - all looks good in that person's facebook now when I took a peek.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back