Boy alerts grandma who saved canoeist

hoppyfrog

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8131775

7 April 08

A 4-year-old boy saw a canoeist in distress, alerted his grandma who got into her kayak and pulled him to shore.

Phillip Storm, 30, from Plainfield Township was cruising on Versluis Lake Monday afternoon with his dog when his boat overturned, throwing him into the water. He was unable to get back into his boat, so he put his dog on top of the canoe and clung on to stay afloat.

Carter Louisell was at his grandmother's lakeside condo, looked out a window and saw Storm in trouble. Carter told his grandma - Joan VanZee, 62 - who grabbed some binoculars to get a better look.

"I went, 'Oh Carter, you're right. He can't get on his boat. We gotta go help him."

VanZee told Carter what was going on, and told him to stay inside while she went to go help Storm.

"Grabbed my life jacket, went out there, got my water shoes, put those on, grabbed my kayak and my paddle, and pulled it down the edge of the lake and hopped in, and just started paddling for all it was worth," VanZee told 24 Hour News 8.

VanZee battled a strong headwind and choppy, one-foot waves to reach Storm several hundred yards away.

When she got to his boat, "He just puts the dog in the back of my kayak and I said, 'You just gotta hang on,'" said VanZee.

She then paddled back to shore, and even fell out of her kayak at one point.

"It was cold, it was really cold," said VanZee.

and

Carter was pretty happy to get a sheriff's badge tattoo for his efforts - a small token for helping save a man's life.

more at link, pics and video too

Hoppy, thank you for posting this! What a great story! Kudos to 4 year old Carter who understood that the canoeist was having trouble. And, kudos to Joan, the grandmother for helping Phillip. With all of the bad and sad news, this story truly brings a smile to me.

Lion

Wow, that Carter is amazing! It's good to see news like this every so often.

I keep thinking of Carter and how smart he was to realize that man needed help. My son (at that age) would have been tossing balls to him or something and wanting to play catch.

I think the grandma is awesome too, the way she canoed out there and rescued the guy. What a woman!

Hoppy

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong