11 Year Old Takes Wheel of Runaway Bus

Some children jumped out the side door and rolled into the street. The driver, Michael Weir, had stopped for fuel and was in the station's restroom when the bus started to roll with 27 children aboard.

That's against the law big time here.
You don't freakin leave a bus full of kids alone on a bus.

Hope he's fired!!!:furious:

Is it just me or is there seemingly a rising number of runaway busses and kids taking the wheel?

Well I know there was one a couple of weeks ago. In that one the student was suspended because she shouldn't have been on the bus. Never mind what would have happened had she not been there.

Well I know there was one a couple of weeks ago. In that one the student was suspended because she shouldn't have been on the bus. Never mind what would have happened had she not been there.

WHAT !?!?!?!?!?!?!

maybe it was FATE that she was there in the first place !!!!!!!!!
suspending that kid is just going to teach kids not to do the right thing if there's a chance they could be punished.

When you gotta go you gotta go.

One article said the driver ran after the bus and was taken to the hospital with chest pains afterward? Could he have been having a medical emergency of some sort? I know he shouldn't have left the bus but I do wonder why he did and would like to know before I pass judgment too harshly. If that kid ends up in trouble I will be steamed.

Eve

WHAT !?!?!?!?!?!?!

maybe it was FATE that she was there in the first place !!!!!!!!!
suspending that kid is just going to teach kids not to do the right thing if there's a chance they could be punished.

Yes, like I said it happened a couple of weeks ago and I know it was discussed here. Apparently the girl IIRC was skipping class or sick and took a bus that was carrying younger kids, something happened to the driver and she took the wheel. But was suspended for skipping, and I'm not sure if something was done to the busdriver for allowing her to ride that bus.

Would there be any reason for the limo company to lie about this? I did see the ABC interview but couldn't link the video.

I don't mean to be a downer, but why is this 11 year old boy such a hero to push on a brake pedal? At that age I was taking my parent's extra car down to a country gas station to get a coke (when they weren't home).

well according to the abc interview the bus started rolling and was headed head on to an 18 wheeler, before this child jumped into action. it's funny that it's being said he may have been the cause of the whole thing to begin with, because during the interview he wasn't very talkative, they practically had to drag the answers from him.

These schools take many chances when they hire "limo" companies and their drivers to drive our children. I know of a man who is friends of the family that got hired at a well-known school transportation company here. He's had 2 DUI's personally and had a very good lawyer because they aren't on his record. He used to live with his mom and she would tell us about all prescription drugs he stole from her and others, and the bottles of vodka etc under his bed. So we all knew he had a problem. One day in conversation with someone at my old high school I found out HE was driving the football players to their away games. I immediately called the school and told them what I knew for their own safety. Since nothing is on the record legally, I don't know if they could keep him from driving, but I hope they did. I think this happens more than we think! :(

Honestly, I wouldn't doubt that an 11 yr old might try playing around w/the bus controls if there is no driver there (not saying he did or not). How stupid of the driver to leave the bus like that.

When I was a kid, our school bus company was owned by a man who used to drive some of the buses himself. We thought he was weird because he always slurred his words and talked nonsense most of the time. He used to careen around curves at high speeds and when he dropped you off, you had to jump out of the way of the doors before he closed them on you. Now that I'm an adult I realize that we were being driven around by a drunk! Back then, I hadn't a clue.

My husband is the transportation director for a large school district. I hope I am quoting him correctly but I believe it is against the law to refuel a bus with students on board, and definitely to leave a bus running unattended with children on board for a potty break. For the company to try to turn this around and blame the child, whether he did do something to cause the bus to move, shows the type of company they are. They had a driver with a criminal record, apparently not properly licensed to drive a school bus, a bus that failed mandatory inspections, and broke the law by leaving children on a running bus unattended. Shame on them!

I missed the GMA appearance, but the local news channel met the boy and his family at the airport when they returned from NY, and he wanted absolutely nothing to do with them. He kind of ducked behind his mother and said nothing. I thought he figured he had just been on national tv, why bother with the lowly hometown news. He must be very shy.

Didn't I hear somewhere that it was determined the boy caused the accident in the first place?

Didn't I hear somewhere that it was determined the boy caused the accident in the first place?

Yes, post #11 contains a link that says the limo company has gotten calls from the parents of other students saying the boy is the one who got the bus moving in the first place. I don't know if it's been proven or not though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back