State Funded Muslim school?

Ever since charter schools were started, keeping religion out of them has been a struggle. This one is only making headlines because of the Muslim affiliation.

Ever since charter schools were started, keeping religion out of them has been a struggle. This one is only making headlines because of the Muslim affiliation.
Never the less, it is still an outrage!:furious:

There was a charter school in Greene County AL that made the news, by setting the boundaries to only include white, wealthy students.

Is this why taxes go up?

Of COURSE it's why our taxes go up!

Our charter schools down here don't have religious affiliations. Mostly they just turn out even more dropouts and flunkouts than the public schools. Which in Louisiana is hard to do.

Ahh, Louisiana, home of the "goodoleboy' style of government-------although I have great hopes that Gov. Jindal is going to do his very, very best to change that!-------and a few years ago, my husband and I jumped on the "Just Say No" bandwagon. I will NEVER vote for another tax: I pay enough so that the government should be able to do everything it NEEDS to do. It just has to quit doing the things it "wants" to do at the expense of the "needs."

There was a charter school in Greene County AL that made the news, by setting the boundaries to only include white, wealthy students.
That is just as outrageous!:mad:

As a Christian who firmly believes in seperation of church and state this is most distressing. But its not because it's a muslim school. I'm equally as distressed if christian organizations get federal money. Look no further than the Office of Faith-based Initiatives.

Now I know some are gonna immediately jump on me as Bush basher or something. But that would be totally missing my point. NO tax dollars should go to ANY religious entity, regardless of affiliation. I just don't want this thread to degenerate into a muslim-bashing forum. None of us are in position to judge others religion.

As a Christian who firmly believes in seperation of church and state this is most distressing. But its not because it's a muslim school. I'm equally as distressed if christian organizations get federal money. Look no further than the Office of Faith-based Initiatives.

Now I know some are gonna immediately jump on me as Bush basher or something. But that would be totally missing my point. NO tax dollars should go to ANY religious entity, regardless of affiliation. I just don't want this thread to degenerate into a muslim-bashing forum. None of us are in position to judge others religion.
I agree! Good post.:clap:

I agree! Good post.:clap:

Thanks! :)

I just hope there are others on here who also agree. It's just so weird these days. To some people having this view automatically prompts them to label you a flaming liberal. Not that I have anything against a flaming liberal per se but it's just mind-boggling. Seperation of church and state is time-honored conservative view. But don't tell that to the neo-cons.

Excellent points all around. :clap: And that comes from a flaming liberal who realizes that church/state separation is a conservative value.

Yes, I would have to agree. In the beginning of charter schools the media was paying close attention to attempts by certain religious groups to appropriate the agenda of certain schools, these groups were usually, but not always, of the Christian fundamentalist variant. Such groups that are perceived as extremist were often suspected of wanting to establish state-funded schools that would teach "their" curriculum instead of having to establish costly and therefore restricted-access private schools for this purpose. These attempts usually failed due to state regulations so the media set off on a search for an alternative type of extremist religion that could possibly attempt to take over one or more charter schools.

Prior to September 11 Islam was not a good candidate for a witch hunt as it was only perceived as some sort of odd religion for boxing stars and inmates to loosely convert to when in need of publicity. Now that for many of us (the public) Muslim and terrorist are practically synonymous it sells much more paper than it used to.

I don't agree that Muslims should be allowed to turn a charter school into a religious school, no more that I agree that any religious group should be allowed to impose their agenda on any charter school be they Christian, Buddhist, Taoist, Hindu or Grand Wazoo worshipers. Religion as a way of life doesn't belong in schools. Being taught about religion is fine, being indoctrinated in a religion is a choice that should not be made for one by one's teachers.

IMO the separation of Church and State should be something that ALL Americans - be they "liberal" or "conservative" embrace with fervor. This IS NOT a theocracy - something the founding fathers were escaping when they wrote the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence - and ANY intrusion of ANY religion into a FEDERALLY SUPPORTED program is 100% UNCONSTITUTIONAL. As it SHOULD ALWAYS BE!

I personally oppose having ANY religious programs or statements on school property. Religion belongs at home or at the place or worship of your choice. IMO there should be ZERO sanctioned religion of ANY SORT at ANY PUBLIC SCHOOL. Of course students can believe whatever they like and discuss it privately with their friends, but no assemblies, public proclamations, no preaching or "witnessing, no bible studies, no prayer groups, no prayers, no FCA, no visible "statement" shirts, stickers or buttons (personal jewelry is fine) - NOTHING on school grounds that promotes, endorses, attempts to influence, or even encourages ANY religion.

School is for learning and unless the school is a PRIVATE entity (where they are free to promote ANY religion or belief) RELIGION is not a part of a Govt supported education, or affiliated extra curricular activity. If it is held at school, promoted at school and the participants are restricted to only enrolled students at that school, religion should NOT be a part of it. IMO, we don't need as "minute of silence" daily either.

What ever happened to religion and religious instruction/participation being the domain of the PARENTS, outside school?? I would NOT want someone at the local public SCHOOL instructing MY CHILD on religion or religious beliefs...that is MY right - and my responsibility. I want to control what they learn or are told - and especially by whom. I often do not feel certain teachers and adminstrators are effective educators - why would I want that person giving my child religious instruction? And I certainly do not want other students influencing my child - peer pressure is difficult enough to deal with without a "God endorsed" element.

ALL public schools should be held to the same standards - no matter WHAT religion or belief is involved. Christians or Muslim or Jewish or whatever - eliminate ALL religion at ALL public schools and this will cease to be an issue and there is no "grey" area.

My Opinion

IMO the separation of Church and State should be something that ALL Americans - be they "liberal" or "conservative" embrace with fervor. This IS NOT a theocracy - something the founding fathers were escaping when they wrote the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence - and ANY intrusion of ANY religion into a FEDERALLY SUPPORTED program is 100% UNCONSTITUTIONAL. As it SHOULD ALWAYS BE!

Separation of State and Church in this country has always been an ideal but unfortunately it hasn't often been a reality, in fact the US is probably the Western country where Churches have the most influence on state affairs through powerful lobbies and the personal beliefs of elected officials who lack the level of maturity required to not let one's religious beliefs interfere with constitutional guidelines. I can only think of very few among the better known presidents who could be considered as having kept their religious views to themselves while in office: Jefferson (who probably was as close to an agnostic as a President can get), Teddy Roosevelt, JFK, Nixon, Reagan. Apart from Jefferson I don't think any of these men made a special effort to keep religion away from the state: they were simply not religious men who had appeared on the political scene at one of those blessed (and short-lived) times when one needed not bring religion into politics to be taken seriously. We still have a lot to learn.

One key difference between any hint of Christian values in charter schools and the Muslim ones in this one is, the Christian schools (and I'd like to see ones that are as overtly religious and obvious as this one) are pro-America. They have the flag up and teach American history and pride in being an American.

That is so obviously and flagrantly missing from this school, it makes me sick. We are funding with our own taxes people who could care less about the institutions, history, and freedoms of this country, except as it benefits their sect.

The director of this school was obviously lying through his teeth when he said that the substitute teacher "must have been mistaken."

And the line about not working the flag pole--Yank that money for his school now, please. If his students' families really want that education they will pony up like any other private religious school student must do.

One key difference between any hint of Christian values in charter schools and the Muslim ones in this one is, the Christian schools (and I'd like to see ones that are as overtly religious and obvious as this one) are pro-America. They have the flag up and teach American history and pride in being an American.

That is so obviously and flagrantly missing from this school, it makes me sick. We are funding with our own taxes people who could care less about the institutions, history, and freedoms of this country, except as it benefits their sect.

The director of this school was obviously lying through his teeth when he said that the substitute teacher "must have been mistaken."

And the line about not working the flag pole--Yank that money for his school now, please. If his students' families really want that education they will pony up like any other private religious school student must do.

It's a state law in Minnesota that the Pledge of Allegiance must be recited once per week. I'm betting this isn't done.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back