VA VA - Richard 'Keith' Call, 20, & Cassandra Hailey, 18, Newport News, 10 April 1988

Richard

Reaction score
20 years ago...

--------------------------------------------------
Richard Keith Call
Missing since April 10, 1988 from Newport News, Virginia
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: March 8, 1968
Age at Time of Disappearance: 20 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'0"; 150 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Light brown hair; blue eyes.
Clothing: Brown and gray cardigan sweater, white polo shirt, two tone brown dress slacks, leather shoes.
AKA: Keith

-----------------------------------------------------
Cassandra Lee Hailey
Missing since April 9, 1988 from Grafton, York County, Virginia.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: May 16, 1969
Age at Time of Disappearance: 18 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'7; 135 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown curly hair; brown eyes.
Marks, Scars: Hailey's left ear is pierced three times; her right ear is pierced twice.
Clothing: Hailey was last seen wearing stone-washed jeans; and a white blouse worn over a rust-colored jersey turtleneck with long sleeves. She was also wearing a 1987 Tabb High School class ring.
AKA: Sandra; Sandy; Missy; Cassie

----------------------------------
Circumstances of Disappearance

Cassandra Lee Hailey was last seen leaving her home in Grafton, Virginia on April 9, 1988 on her first date with Richard Call.

They were last seen between 1:00am and 2:00am at the University Square Apartments across from Christopher Newport College in Yorktown, VA.

They planned to spend the day together and traveled in Call's vehicle.
Neither of them has been seen again.

Call's 1982 red Toyota Celica was found abandoned on the Colonial Parkway, just west of the Naval Weapons Station, in Yorktown, Virginia the following day (April 10, 1988). There was no trace of him or Hailey. Foul play is suspected in this case.

Between 1986 and 1989, the bodies of three couples were found dead in areas off Colonial Parkway, a 23-mile highway that runs through Yorktown, Williamsburg and Jamestown. Authorities suspect they were murdered by a serial-killer.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning Call's or Hailey's whereabouts, please contact:

Virginia State Police
Det. James A. Huddle
757-424-6850

OR

Federal Bureau Of Investigation
Norfolk, Virginia Office
Agent Robert Wessells
757-424-6855 or 757-727-7933

You may remain anonymous when submitting information to any agency.

Agency Case Number: NF 70A-7670 (Richard Call)

NCIC Number: M-871430466 (Cassandra)

Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

National Center for Missing Adults
Vanished Children's Alliance
The Doe Network: Case File 2349DMVA (Richard Call)
Daily Press 10/16/06The Doe Network: Case File 248DFVA (Cassandra Lee Hailey)

LINKS:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2349dmva.html (Richard Call)
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/248dfva.html (Cassandra Lee Hailey)

Does anyone know if they were able to identify all three couples?

This is actually one of the first cases that caught my attention when I first started becoming interested in the missing.

After LE realized all of these cases were connected, the killer was dubbed The Colonial Parkway Killer. There's also some thought that the killer may have been LE or a a CIA operative because there was a CIA training center nearby.

This is a website that has quite a bit of information on the CPK, including the accounts of all 4 couples:

http://crimeshadows.com/parkway.htm

THis is in my area, and I have read about it. Whenever a serial killer is apprehended it seems like the cold case detective is hot on the trail to rule them in or out.

This is sad because these two mentioned have never been identified. Not far from one crime scene is Naval Weapons Station so my thinking was the killer was active duty stationed there, but that is my own opinion.

In June 2010, the victims' families requested the assistance of a retired Milwaukee Police Department homicide detective[1], Steven Spingola [2], an investigator with a national reputation for excellence.
After visiting the crime scenes, Spingola spoke with a handful of family members, tipsters, and law enforcement veterans. In August 2010, Spingola released Predators on the Parkway: a Former Homicide Detective Explores the Colonial Parkway Murders, a 29-page magazine article that detailed his findings. [3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonial_Parkway_Killer

also from the same link

In January 2010, after crime scene photographs of Colonial Parkway murder victims were used to instruct a class by a retired and now deceased former FBI employee, the bureau reopened its investigation of the Colonial Parkway murders.[9] Investigators soon found that evidence, stowed for over two-decades, had yet to be tested for DNA. Responding to media criticism, the FBI met with the victims' families. Dozens of pieces of evidence were then submitted to the FBI's crime lab for DNA analysis. The FBI has reportedly told the victims' families that the results of DNA testing should be available in the latter part of August 2010.
I have not heard on the news of any findings to date but going to check on that now.

10/24/2010

This summer, the FBI failed to find useful forensic evidence among the items from the apparent slayings of Call and Hailey, who disappeared in April 1988 but whose bodies haven't been found, Thomas said.

And last month, Thomas' family got bad news as well.

Forensic tests on key pieces of evidence from his sister's October 1986 slaying had so far failed to produce a DNA profile, Thomas said. He also expressed concern that he could not get a written report summarizing the findings.

But he's holding out hope that testing on other evidence will prove fruitful.

A.J. Turner, supervisor of the FBI's Norfolk office, declined to comment on the lab results. He said, in response to a list of questions, that exams are ongoing but it's "difficult to predict" when they'll be finished.

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2010/102010/10242010/582027

The Colonial Parkway Murders remain an open investigation. The Thomas/Dowski murder and the Call/Hailey disappearance, which happened on the Federal property of the Colonial Parkway, are being handled by the FBI from their offices in Newport News and Norfolk, VA. The Phelps/Lauer murder and the Edwards/Knobling case are being handled by the Virginia State Police as they happened off the Colonial Parkway. If anyone has a tip or other information, they can contact me here, via the same username at America Online, or contact the FBI or Virginia State Police.

Bill Thomas
Brother of Cathleen Thomas
Colonial Parkway Murders
Los Angeles, CA

Had a great hourlong conversation yesterday (2/27/15) with the FBI Agent in charge of my sister Cathy Thomas and her friend Rebecca Dowski's murder as part of the Colonial Parkway Murders. They are also responsible for investigating the disappearance of Keith Call and Cassandra Hailey, which occurred on the Colonial Parkway near Williamsburg, VA. They are still actively checking out leads and submitting evidence to the FBI crime lab in Quantico, VA as new tests are approved and come on line, interviewing suspects, and conducting searches.

Hope springs eternal.

Bill Thomas
Los Angeles, CA

Here's a link to a Facebook page trying to solve their disappearances and even the murders of other Colonial Parkway killer victims.
https://www.facebook.com/What-happened-to-Richard-Keith-Call-Cassandra-Hailey-48312425938/
These crimes still haunt many people with who lived in the area during the late 1980's. I was a young child during these crimes, but my parents and many others with teenagers after these crimes happened were very cautious when we traveled in the area. I believe parents today have forgotten the cases, but if you were around then you still remember the fear.

This new story just went out on the Crime Time show feed

Allison Hope Weiner, the host of Crime Time, is hoping to do a second interview with me soon to cover next steps for the investigation.

The Unsolved Colonial Parkway Murders Reexamined via @YouTube

[video=youtube;5ORYjQ_rrFs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ORYjQ_rrFs[/video]

Thanks.

Bill Thomas
Colonial Parkway Murders
Los Angeles, CA

Please see updates to the Keith Call and Cassandra Hailey disappearance under the Colonial Parkway Murders discussion.

Thanks.

Bill Thomas
Brother of Cathy Thomas,
Colonial Parkway Murders
Los Angeles, CA

Here is a beautiful multipart story on the Colonial Parkway Murders which includes the disappearance and presumed murder of Keith Call and Cassandra Hailey.

Thanks to journalists Mike Holtzclaw and Amanda Williams of the Daily Press for all the time and dedication they put in to tell the stories of the victims & the families of the Colonial Parkway Murders. The team of Daily Press photographers including Jonathan Gruenke, Joe Fudge and Aileen Devlin and many others did an amazing job to accompany the text.

http://digital.dailypress.com/static/parkway_main/Main/index.html

There is more discussion of the this case in the Colonial Parkway Murders thread

Our thanks to all.

Bill Thomas
Brother of Cathy Thomas
Los Angeles, CA

We just got word that from true crime authors Blaine Pardoe and Victoria Hester that their new book on the Colonial Parkway Murders, "A Special Kind of Evil," has been pushed back to a July 2017 release date by their publishers, Wild Blue Press. This case includes the disappearance and presumed murder of Keith Call and Cassandra Hailey.

I have had a chance to read some of the drafts of the book, and think it is very well done.

Please look for it in July.

Bill Thomas
Colonial Parkway Murders

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members