Student Suspended For Answering Call In Class From Dad In Iraq

White Rain

Reaction score
A Texas sergeant and his son recently found themselves separated not only by an eight-hour time difference, several bodies of water, hundreds of miles and a war, but by a high school official who suspended the boy for answering his dad's call during class.
Cove High School in Texas, where half the students have at least one parent deployed, justified the punishment against Brandon Hill by saying he had violated the no-cell-phone policy when he took the call from his father, who is serving in Iraq.
"I have been going through a lot of stress lately and my dad’s like my best friend, so I go to him for everything," the sophomore told FOX News on Saturday.
"I needed to talk to him, so my mom got a hold of him on Yahoo and told him to call me, so I answered the phone call in class."
more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,350988,00.html

What a bunch of idiots! They should all hang their heads in shame....

"EDUCATORS":rolleyes: MY BUTT!

Sounds like one of those times where you have to say "Do what you gotta do, but I have to do what I have to do."

I would have taken the call, too.

Let's say it was the Principal's son/daughter calling from Iraq. Do you think he would have answered the call? Yeah, me too.

To me it 's just worth it.. he got the call ,took it and was suspended. he would do it again if he had to and it's just worth the consequence. who cares?

Sgt. Hill spoke to the assistant principal before he left for Iraq. Come on. The whole school should have answered that phone call.

What a bunch of idiots, IMO. I would worry about the kid if he DIDN'T answer the call.

Common sense and compassion have been abandoned in the name of zero tolerance. Shame on the school. It is hard tor kids to be without their parents and worrying about their safely. I am glad he answered the call.

Who passes out brains to some of these school administrators? Did no one teach them common sense? :mad:

I don't want to sound mean or unsympathetic here....I have a son about to go back to Iraq in July and I know how much it means getting a call from him, luckily I do have a cell and can answer at any time. But if the student is in a school and there is a no cell in class phone policy, why was this wrong? According to the article half the students have one or more parent away, are we to have total disruption all day?
Again, I don't want to sound mean because I know what that phone call means to the loved one receiving it. But rules are rules.

to bad the school never made rule about using common sense or compassion.

Dang, Filly, right on!!!

:clap: :clap:
Sgt. Hill spoke to the assistant principal before he left for Iraq. Come on. The whole school should have answered that phone call.

The kid's having problems, needs dad, his best friend who is over risking his life and could be killed at any time, but the boy is in school and not out drunk or doped up somewhere. Schools break rules all the time and violate federal and state laws concerning kids, but heaven forbid a boy should violate one of their rules. I should have known this was a Texas town that is by the way getting lots of money from taxes and federal funds for each of these kids whose parents are all away risking their lives while they sit all nice and comfy behind some desk.

I don't want to sound mean or unsympathetic here....I have a son about to go back to Iraq in July and I know how much it means getting a call from him, luckily I do have a cell and can answer at any time. But if the student is in a school and there is a no cell in class phone policy, why was this wrong? According to the article half the students have one or more parent away, are we to have total disruption all day?
Again, I don't want to sound mean because I know what that phone call means to the loved one receiving it. But rules are rules.

MsRusty - the way I understand this, the boy NEEDED to talk to his father. The mom told the boy she would contact dad and have him call. So the boy took his phone to school and answered when his father called. What could have been done differently? Maybe the boy or his mother could have warned the principal beforehand that the boy was expecting a call and was going to answer it. However, they may have risked getting the boy's phone confiscated before the boy had a chance to talk to his dad.

The school over-reacted. The boy needed his father and his father responded. Plain and simple. We need more children and parents like this, in my opinion. If I knew how to contact the child, I would and I would let him know how proud I am of him. Sometimes authority is just too overbearing and you have to question it. As a parent, I would be doing some serious questioning at this school.

Given the time differences with Iraq and the fact that this school is made up of kids with parents over there, maybe they should have a 1/2 hour or so set aside everyday to receive calls from their parents.

Salem

She probably should have kept her son home to answer that important phone call and when the Principal tried to give him an unexcused absence then blasted him with his own policy. I know it is what I would have done. :) Of course, she was trying to be a good mom by sending him to school instead.

I think the troops need to march on the school and hang the Principal up on the flagpole when his father gets home from Iraq. LOL Until then, the father should set it up so everyone in his Unit calls the Principal's office every three minutes all day one day to complain about the unfair punishment!!!

I'm a Navy brat and I have students who have a parent or parent(s) who are deployed. My military kids know if their phone vibrates (no rings in class), they can surreptitiously check their phones, give me a sign and they can be excused to the hall where they answer the phone, I confirm the caller, and they disappear to the bathroom.
If they get caught by administration, they know what happens. If I get caught by administration, I know what happens. None of us care. It's called civil disobedience. We will use Thoreau's work to defend ourselves. :) If we have to take the hit, so be it. It's worth it!

I'm a Navy brat and I have students who have a parent or parent(s) who are deployed. My military kids know if their phone vibrates (no rings in class), they can surreptitiously check their phones, give me a sign and they can be excused to the hall where they answer the phone, I confirm the caller, and they disappear to the bathroom.
If they get caught by administration, they know what happens. If I get caught by administration, I know what happens. None of us care. It's called civil disobedience. We will use Thoreau's work to defend ourselves. :) If we have to take the hit, so be it. It's worth it!

Pandora that is so cool.You are doing a wonderful thing :clap: :clap: :blowkiss:

My husband is deployed right now.(only have 7 weeks to go yippee:woohoo:) I know if one of my children needed to hear from and talk to their dad they would have the phone at school with them.

I agree with you, MsRusty. There apparently is a zero tolerance concerning cell phones. My grandson was suspended for calling his mother to ask her a question. He was at school. I don't believe that he was in his class at the time, either.

So sorry for the boy. I know that I would have made the decision to take the call, too. I would hope that they would have made an exception for this boy (like at least he wouldn't get zeroes for the days that he missed school or that he was allowed to make up the work).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back