Identified! OK - Norman, Woman's body found hanged, Sep'03 - Anna Atkinson

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
The remains of a woman’s body found hanging by a chain from a tree in the 1800 block of Twisted Oak Avenue in east Norman have been tentatively identified by tattoos, according to Norman police.

Police are awaiting confirmation of the woman’s identity based on dental records and notification of next of kin before releasing her name, they said.

The body was discovered Sunday evening by about nine kids, ranging in age from 6 to 16. The body was found in a wooded area near a creek bottom filled with dense trees and underbrush, police said.

“It is an ideal place for kids to hang out and play,” said Norman Police Lt. Tom Easley. “Indications are that the body’s been there for several months.

“The kids obviously didn’t think the body was real,” Easley said.

The kids apparently took the body down and dragged parts of it to two separate locations in the nearby Twisted Oak Apartment complex.

“Some of the body parts probably fell off in the motion of taking it down from its hanging position, and dragging it through the wooded area and parking lot,” Easley said. The remains were taken to two separate locations in the complex before a witness in the 1900 block of Twisted Oak Avenue notified Norman police.

The incident is being investigated as a suspicious death or homicide, which is standard protocol at the onset of a fatality investigation, Easley said. “It’s certainly not beyond the realm of possibility that it was a suicide.”

The medical examiner will make the final determination as to cause of death, he said.

http://www.normantranscript.com/story.php?story_id=8878&c=1

Casshew said:
“The kids obviously didn’t think the body was real,” Easley said.

The kids apparently took the body down and dragged parts of it to two separate locations in the nearby Twisted Oak Apartment complex.
Or the kids did it, then got caught while trying to hide it. Just a thought, it could happen some places.

UMM Obviously NOT an ideal place for kids to hang out and play, especially in light of the fact that there was:

1- A dead body there
2-A possible crime scene
3-No one there for months

Gosh, that is horrid! This might sound biased, but it sounds like this could have happened in West Virginia where a lot of things happen that we would cringe at. For Gods Sake, can you imagine these kids pulling the body down, dragging it, seeing parts of it fall off and still keep a truckin' onn with it in tow! Flippin' bizarre, which is why I thought it might have taken place in some backwoods area. Where is Norman, anyway! LOL

Sandi

BirdieBoo said:
1- A dead body there
2-A possible crime scene
3-No one there for months

LOL... I agree.. creepy when you think about it

Scandi - you are so right in what you say!

From March 2004:

http://newsok.com/article/1896381

Police said Anna Marie Atkinson was the subject of a two-day search that began Sept. 4 after a note was discovered indicating she may have gone into the woods to harm herself near her home in the 1900 block of Twisted Oak Boulevard...

Thanks for posting that story, Okie. The main/first story of the thread is long gone. I tried archive.org and they had some snaps of the story saved, but when you get there it asks you to register.

She'd been in the woods for a while, so must have been largely skeletal. Or at least beyond the "stinking" stage. I didn't think those kids would have gone near it if it smelled.

I found another story that goes into the kids finding the remains...

Grisly find fueled boys' curiosity
Body's discovery brings nightmares, new limits for Norman children.

(News OK, 3/31/2004)
"There it is," Murdock said Thursday. "That's where we found her."

On March 28, Murdock and eight playmates discovered the desiccated remains of Norman resident Anna Marie Atkinson, 27, hanging from a chain attached to the branch.
March 28, Anderson's boys David, 11, and Jess, 8 accompanied Murdock and others into the woods for a game of "Capture the Flag." Before they could start, Jess Anderson found something more interesting: a human arm bone.

The discovery launched a grim scavenger hunt.

"We don't usually play in that area," said Mason Burkhalter, 16. "But when Jess found the arm, we went looking."

The search led the boys to a gnarled tree. The upper portion of a body hung from the tree by a silvery chain slightly thicker than a dog leash.

The kids, ages 6 to 16, unclasped the chain. The body fell, and curiosity took over.

"I thought it was fake when I touched it," Jess Anderson said. "I thought it was a big Halloween trick."

Gosh, that is horrid! This might sound biased, but it sounds like this could have happened in West Virginia where a lot of things happen that we would cringe at. For Gods Sake, can you imagine these kids pulling the body down, dragging it, seeing parts of it fall off and still keep a truckin' onn with it in tow! Flippin' bizarre, which is why I thought it might have taken place in some backwoods area. Where is Norman, anyway! LOL

Sandi

Norman is almost a suburb of Oklahoma City. It's not what I'd call sleazy, or backwoods, it's mainly a college town: it's where the University of Oklahoma (OU) is.
Source: I live in Tulsa, but I've been to Norman many times and even lived part-time in an apartment near campus with a friend for about 6 months.

EDIT: Haha, I just saw that the post I replied to is about 12 years old! Oh well, for anyone else who might be wondering about Norman Oklahoma, there you are!

i stumbled across this doing a google search. i knew anna, she grew up in the same town as i did and we went to school together. it was very shocking to us. me and a few friends believed that she would not have gone off to the woods to do this, suspected possible foul play, but of course i had not seen her since 10 years prior to this story breaking. just heartbreaking all the way around. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back