VT VT - Mark Husk, 50, Ferrisburgh, 12 Oct 2003

On Fb in a group there’s a guy suggesting him as Flat Top John Doe? Anyone have any thoughts on that? His arguments are pretty solid.

I have also stumbled upon his “journal”, and while trying to decipher it I found Mr. Husk. I believe it is likely him! I’m doing some searching but not finding much other than what is listed on most of the missing sites. I’d say yes!

•MMcG•

ETA: I FOUND AN ASSOCIATE OF MR. HUSK’S by the name of “ELIZABET” (not “H”)

Last edited:
It's speculated on another WS thread that Mark Husk might be unidentified person 789MCO, also known as "Flat Top John Doe."

Would Mark have gone from Vermont to Colorado alone?

I believe that’s the UD subject we are referencing! I think it’s VERY likely he made it to CO, and Flat Top JD is Mr. Husk! I know a couple of us on FB have been going over all the evidence and we are pretty positive they are one in the same!

•MMcG•

I believe that’s the UD subject we are referencing! I think it’s VERY likely he made it to CO, and Flat Top JD is Mr. Husk! I know a couple of us on FB have been going over all the evidence and we are pretty positive they are one in the same!

•MMcG•

Post #306 on this page of the 789UMCO WS thread has an excellent visual which lists similarities between Mark Husk and Flat Top John Doe—including that Mark had a "relative" by the name of Elizabeth (Lib?). Can this be confirmed? Though even if she were just an "associate", as you said, they could've still been close enough for him to write to her.

Also, on post #312 of the same thread (same page too), I linked a map of Ferrisburgh Road Names, which includes "Danyow Dr" near the top middle. I speculated that this name resembles what looks to be "CAJYOW", written on FTJD's letter (last line, page 1). I've read that Mark lived on Old Chicago Road, but did he know anyone (perhaps Lib?) that lived on Danyow Drive?

Post #306 on this page of the 789UMCO WS thread has an excellent visual which lists similarities between Mark Husk and Flat Top John Doe—including that Mark had a "relative" by the name of Elizabeth (Lib?). Can this be confirmed? Though even if she were just an "associate", as you said, they could've still been close enough for him to write to her.

Also, on post #312 of the same thread (same page too), I linked a map of Ferrisburgh Road Names, which includes "Danyow Dr" near the top middle. I speculated that this name resembles what looks to be "CAJYOW", written on FTJD's letter (last line, page 1). I've read that Mark lived on Old Chicago Road, but did he know anyone (perhaps Lib?) that lived on Danyow Drive?

I’m thinking the person who posted the comparison here in WS may be someone I’ve spoken to a FB thread! I did find that Mark Husk had an associate listed by the name of “Elizabet” ... and I double checked, it does not contain the usual “H” at the end! I didn’t pay attention to her known addresses but when I get a chance I will check!

I’ve spent so much time trying to decipher that journal! 50% of it is bleed through. Unfortunately. I’ve made out a few things that “could be” but other than “LIB” I’ve found nothing of identification value.

I know the gentleman I spoke to on the other thread had contacted one of the LEA but I’m not sure if they responded. I think I’m going to have to read through the UD’s thread here...see if there may be something I can contribute from my research!

•MMcG•

I’m thinking the person who posted the comparison here in WS may be someone I’ve spoken to a FB thread! I did find that Mark Husk had an associate listed by the name of “Elizabet” ... and I double checked, it does not contain the usual “H” at the end! I didn’t pay attention to her known addresses but when I get a chance I will check!

I’ve spent so much time trying to decipher that journal! 50% of it is bleed through. Unfortunately. I’ve made out a few things that “could be” but other than “LIB” I’ve found nothing of identification value.

I know the gentleman I spoke to on the other thread had contacted one of the LEA but I’m not sure if they responded. I think I’m going to have to read through the UD’s thread here...see if there may be something I can contribute from my research!

•MMcG•

Yeah, the journal is so tantalizing! I feel like if I just look at it hard enough, I'll eventually understand it because it's all there! But you're probably right about the 50% bleed-through. Just last night, @papijoe2002 shared a post in the FTJD thread showing how extensive it actually is. Would love to see anything you might be able to add.

From the "Mark Husk" side (so as not to derail his thread), I think the only way to proceed is to look for connections between him and Flat Tops, and thereby make a match or exclusion. Vermont and Colorado are very far away. If Mark just wanted to go hiking or camping, he could've done so much closer to his hometown. Why travel over 2,000 miles?

Also, according to @papijoe2002, the journal contains a drawing of a "sleepy cat" which corresponds to "Sleepy Cat Peak" where FTJD was found. This clearly shows an affinity for this specific area. Is there anything verifiable in Mark's history (drawings, photos, writings, brochures, etc.) showing he had a similar affinity to Sleepy Cat Peak?

Yeah, the journal is so tantalizing! I feel like if I just look at it hard enough, I'll eventually understand it because it's all there! But you're probably right about the 50% bleed-through. Just last night, @papijoe2002 shared a post in the FTJD thread showing how extensive it actually is. Would love to see anything you might be able to add.

From the "Mark Husk" side (so as not to derail his thread), I think the only way to proceed is to look for connections between him and Flat Tops, and thereby make a match or exclusion. Vermont and Colorado are very far away. If Mark just wanted to go hiking or camping, he could've done so much closer to his hometown. Why travel over 2,000 miles?

Also, according to @papijoe2002, the journal contains a drawing of a "sleepy cat" which corresponds to "Sleepy Cat Peak" where FTJD was found. This clearly shows an affinity for this specific area. Is there anything verifiable in Mark's history (drawings, photos, writings, brochures, etc.) showing he had a similar affinity to Sleepy Cat Peak?

I'm going over RIGHT NOW to read the other thread! ;)

Elizabet is just a typo. Her name is Elizabeth. It's spelled correctly in her other records.

Thank you! I have not had time to go back and look any further into her, assuming we are referring to the same person. Which I'm sure we are. She had several aliases and I thought out of all known associates I could find for Mr. Husk, she seemed to be the most likely to have a nickname of "Lib", just from the information I found. I apologize if it caused any confusion. I'll gladly edit my comment, or figure out how to delete it if need be! I should have searched further before commenting!

Thank you again for bringing that to my attention and everyone else's!
:)
*MMcG*

• mark_allen_husk_1.jpg
Husk, circa 2003
  • Missing Since 10/12/2003
  • Missing From Ferrisburg, Vermont
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 12/18/1953 (70)
  • Age 49 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'9, 140 - 150 pounds

• Medical Conditions Husk may have been depressed at the time of his disappearance.

• Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Blond hair, green/hazel eyes. Husk wears wire-rimmed eyeglasses. He has a scar on his elbow, a scar on his lower lip on the right side extending towards his jawbone, and possibly a faint scar on his neck.

Details of Disappearance​

Husk was last seen at his residence on Old Chicago Road in Ferrisburg, Vermont on October 12, 2003. He was not reported missing until November 5, three weeks later.

Husk is an avid sportsman and has a history of traveling around the country for long periods alone. He frequently traveled by bus or took the Amtrak train to New York City. His case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency​

• Vermont State Police 802-388-4919

Source Information​

Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated August 16, 2010; date of birth and alternate weight added, distinguishing characteristics and details of disappearance updated.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back