5.4 Earthquake rocks Illinois

My husband thought it was a hoax on the radio!! He called me to switch on the local news to see if it was true...crazy!

We are in Chicago, but we didn't feel anything, Thank God!!

It's so strange to hear the safety procedures for earthquakes on all the local news!

I felt it. My husband thought I was crazy and rolled over and went back to sleep. When I finally got up and showered and turned on the radio and heard it, I woke him up going, "I told you! I told you it was an earthquake!" LOL

I was just rushing over here to post this too! http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=175333&src=109

WEST SALEM -- A 5.4 magnitude earthquake that appeared to rival the strongest recorded in the region rocked people up to 450 miles away early Friday, surprising residents unaccustomed to such a powerful Midwest temblor.

The quake just before 4:37 a.m. was centered six miles from West Salem, Ill., and 66 miles from Evansville, Ind. It was felt in such distant cities as Chicago, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, and Des Moines, Iowa, 450 miles northwest of the epicenter, but there were no early reports of injuries or significant damage.

I'm glad you are o.k., Brefie. That seems like such a big earthquake for a place that's not built to take them that size. I hope all of our IL friends are o.k.

I was sound asleep at that point. Didn't feel a thing.

I'm glad you are o.k., Brefie. That seems like such a big earthquake for a place that's not built to take them that size. I hope all of our IL friends are o.k.

I was sound asleep at that point. Didn't feel a thing.

:blowkiss: Aw, thanks....you too :)

Calling all IL & IN posters....check in and let us know you are safe!!

We felt it here. I was just trying to wake up when I heard things rattling in the house...lol. What a way to start a Friday!
Deb

We felt it here. I was just trying to wake up when I heard things rattling in the house...lol. What a way to start a Friday!
Deb

HAPPY, HAPPY FRIDAY!!!

At least they were just ratting and not bashing you and your fam on the head :)

I felt it too!!!!! Sounded as if someone was breaking into my house. My windows were shaking something crazy...LOL

:blowkiss: Aw, thanks....you too :)

Calling all IL & IN posters....check in and let us know you are safe!!

We're good here in Peoria. We did feel it. Our bed was shaking. I thought a plane had crashed because the air show is this weekened and they have been practicing for the last couple days and that shakes your house when 4 blue angles fly right on top of it but I thought it odd they would be flying at 4:30 this morning. My dog was going balistic so he definitely felt it. When I dropped my kids off at my moms they are all did you guys feel the earthquake. They said there beds shook too. It only lasted about a minute but it was a very strange feeling.

Whew I am so glad the ones of you have posted so far are ok!!

I hope everyone who hasn't posted yet are ok and I hope everyone in the area are all well!

I live in Louisville Ky, and we felt it here too. I was sound asleep ... my fiance woke me up at 5:30 this morning, the exchange went something like this:

him: honey, I think we just had an earthquake.
me: I think you just had a dream.
him: no, I'm not talking in my sleep ... I think we really just had an earthquake!

I had to turn on the news before I believed him. I swear, I could sleep through the apocalypse!

Whitney, you should have turned over to him and said ...

"Honey, it's nice to know I can still rock your world!"

I live in Louisville Ky, and we felt it here too. I was sound asleep ... my fiance woke me up at 5:30 this morning, the exchange went something like this:

him: honey, I think we just had an earthquake.
me: I think you just had a dream.
him: no, I'm not talking in my sleep ... I think we really just had an earthquake!

I had to turn on the news before I believed him. I swear, I could sleep through the apocalypse!

A lot of my coworkers are saying there spouses thought they were crazy too until they seen the news this morning, LOL.

Well, I was at work (3rd shifter, yuckie) in DeKalb, IL and we had just returned from break at 4:15 and none of us felt or heard anything. But where I work there is a large conveyor system and it's VERY loud and there's a certain amount of continuous vibration from that. We didn't even know anything about it until 6:30 when the dayshift came in and they were asking us if we were aware of it.

Of course, I explained to them that I am always moving so fast that there's always a mini-quake around me, so that might explain why I didn't feel it.

HEY! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!

Tee Hee!!

Waiting patiently for the hubby to wake up to ask him if the dogs went nutz in the middle of the night. I figure they most likely were aware of it and may have made a fuss. Animals are always more in tune to those kind of things that we are.

~TCO~

Whitney I live just south of Louisville. I didn't feel a thing either!

They are reporting some of the older buildings in Louisville had some damage.

I live in Louisville, KY too and felt it. I had just gotten back into bed from a bathroom trip and was pulling the covers on when I heard a noise and our bed started shaking. DH woke up and I asked him if he heard that noise and felt the bed moving. I was looking out the window (they are building a house next door). He asked if I saw anyone and I started panicing because I didn't. He got up and looked out the back door. I asked him again if he felt the bed shaking and he looked at me like I was crazy.... I began to think I was UNTIL I turned on the tv around 7:30 and that's all the local channels are talking about. I immediately called DH and he laughed and said that he heard the news when he left for work and was going to call me. I can't believe it was an earthquake!!! My baby boy is 11 months today.... What a thing to tell him about when he gets older. And thank God my girls didn't feel anything!!!

Whitney I live just south of Louisville. I didn't feel a thing either!

They are reporting some of the older buildings in Louisville had some damage.

There was damage to the facade of an older building causing that street to be closed. I heard there is also a water main break somewhere downtown. And right before I got on the computer they were saying that an overpass on the Gene Snyder freeway has cracks in it. Apparently there were several people who drive that part of the Snyder every day noticed the cracks and called to report them. Someone from the state is there now checking it out. I am so nervous because my DH drives over the Ohio river everyday to get to work (he works in Jeffersonville, IN) and I know they are saying the bridges are safe but I'm still worried.

Waiting patiently for the hubby to wake up to ask him if the dogs went nutz in the middle of the night. I figure they most likely were aware of it and may have made a fuss. Animals are always more in tune to those kind of things that we are.

~TCO~

I do think my cats knew something was up. Since we've gotten the second cat about a month ago, our older cat Hobbes hasn't scratched on the door in the middle of the night at all. And even when he was doing it before, if I hollered no at him, he would usually stop. About a half-hour before the quake, one of them was pawing at the door hard and wouldn't stop. We finally let them in. That's why at first, I thought they were making the bed shake.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back