Hi-Tech Spies Use Your Cell Phone Like A Hidden Microphone

SeriouslySearching

Reaction score
This story was on the local news and it was quite an eyeopener!! :eek: Did you know that someone in five minutes can download a program to use your cell phone as a microphone to stalk you or spy on you?! It only has to be on and you do not have to be making a call or using it at the time. We have all laid our cell phones on the table thinking nothing about it while discussing private matters. Who is listening?! :confused:

Carla Robinson's ex-boyfriend has stalked her for three years. Nobody could figure out how he was able to track her every move, her every conversation, especially when he was often out of state.

The FBI even checked her car for bugs, but, found none, but The News On 6 discovered how he could have turned her cell phone into a high-tech snooping device. Robinson allowed The News On 6 to download the software onto her cell phone.

The News On 6 asked Robinson and a friend to talk over coffee. Robinson was not using her cell phone, it was just sitting nearby.

~snip~

The entire conversation between Carla Robinson and her friend was heard through the microphone on Robinson's cell phone, and she has no way of knowing.

As long as they talk they can be heard. It doesn't matter where you are, you can be miles away or even out of state.

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=8210979

First thing that comes to mind ... wonder if Drew Peterson did the same thing to Stacy's cell phone - the one she decided to quit using shortly before her disappearance?

Hmmmm...that is definitely food for thought. They should have found such software on one of his computers tho.

This may explain how that one family was being harassed by someone that knew their every move and convo. I can't remember the family's name... but the person doing it would not only tell them about things they had heard them talking about, but they also made threats. Scary stuff... :(

Sure this is potentially creepy (or just creepy), but I also find it very interesting. Too bad the article doesn't give more information about the tech side. I'm wondering if all you'd need it the cell phone number of whoever you want to listen in on... I doubt it is that easy though or scores of people would be doing this. Or maybe it is easy and the program is just really expensive or something. I wish we knew more. lol

It's a scary world out there. Especially when people use technology as a weapon to taunt and torment people. LE can't make laws fast enough to keep up with modern day technology because it simply moves so fast. It's scary to think what it will be like in just another 2, 5, even 10 years from now.

On the other hand, there are benefits to this type of technology too! It's better than eyes in the back of your head for keeping up with your teens! :woohoo:

ETA: If only we could use these powers for good instead of evil.

Really disturbing. What's interesting is that they still aren't sure if that is the way the ex was stalking her. Just that it is possible.

This sounds like something my snoopy mother would think was an excellent idea. That creeps me out. Anyone else and I wouldn't care... but when "anything you say CAN and WILL be used against you..." It's not funny.

SeriouslySearching,
Thank you for posting this story.
This actually frightens me. :chicken: I am so naive when it comes to tecnology. Had no idea such a thing was possible!! Thank goodness I lead a very mundane :angel: life. A person could start becoming paranoid :crazy: from reading some of these stories here at Websleuths.

Elphaba, I remember about that family also. Alot of people didn't believe them and some pointed fingers IIRC at one of the daughters maybe wanting attention. Wonder whatever happened in their case? Sorry, I can't remember the name either.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back