MI MI - Kim Larrow, 15, Canton, June 1981

Rle7

Reaction score
Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
Missing Since: June 1981 from Canton, Michigan
Classification: Endangered Missing
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Blonde hair.

bar.jpg

Details of Disappearance
Larrow was last seen sometime in June 1981. She had recently moved from her father's home in Dundee, Michigan to her mother's residence on Beaufort Drive in Canton. She was in Canton for only about a week when she vanished. She was last seen at Stroh's Ice Cream Parlor on Sheldon Road. She has never been heard from again. Larrow's loved ones describe her as a rebellious teenager who used drugs and frequently ran away. She had no driver's license or Social Security number at the time of her disappearance. Her disappearance is considered a missing person case rather than a crime, as there is no evidence of foul play.

bar.jpg

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Canton Police Department
734-394-5423

bar.jpg
Source Information
The Detroit Free Press

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/larrow_kim.html

Canton police have asked the public's help in cracking a 27-year-old missing persons cold case.

"If anybody can think back 27 years, and if there's something that's not right, we would like to check out any and all leads," said Canton Sgt. Rick Pomorski

Kim Larrow was 15 years old in 1981 when she came from Dundee to Canton to spend the summer with her mother. That's when she disappeared without a trace. Police said she walked to the 31 Flavors Baskin Robbins on Ann Arbor Road near Sheldon Road and never returned.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/15997237/detail.html?rss=det&psp=news

Kim Marie Larrow
Missing since June 1981 from Canton, Michigan
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
Age at Time of Disappearance: 15 years old
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Kim had recently packed her bags and left her father’s Dundee home and made her way to Canton to spend the summer at her mother’s Beaufort Drive residence.

She hadn’t been in the township for more than a week before she vanished from Stroh’s Ice Cream Parlor on Sheldon Road.

No one in her family has seen or heard from her since then.
She had no driver’s license and no social security number.

Canton police documented that she ran away from her mother’s home twice in 1979 and once in 1980. She once left home and hitchhiked unannounced to Florida with a friend.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Canton Police Department
Sgt. Rick Pomorski
734-394-5423

Source Information:
Hometown Life
The Doe Network: Case File 1810DFMI

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1810dfmi.html

Police digging for new clues in girl’s 1981 disappearance
BY TIFFANY L. PARKS
Observer STAFF WRITER

Where is Kim Marie Larrow?
It’s a question Robert Cooper has asked himself a million times since his cousin’s disappearance and he’s no closer to the answer now than when she was last seen 27 years ago.

“The worst part is that this has always been hush hush,” said Cooper, a retired police officer. “I have been told to mind my own business, but I know I’m doing the right thing. I’ll never drop this because Kim could be in a shallow grave somewhere. It’s like nobody cares — I almost cry thinking about it.”

Gone without a trace
The year was 1981 and the hot June sun beamed down over Canton.
Kim, a cute, rebellious 15-year-old who never stayed in one place for long, had recently packed her bags and left her father’s Dundee home and made her way to Canton to spend the summer at her mother’s Beaufort Drive residence.

More:
http://hometownlife.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080418/NEWS03/80418026/1020/NEWS03

Addition:

"Hanging on to hope
With Lucy Larrow now living in Arizona, Cooper said the last time he spoke with her, he was told to “drop this.”

“I understand she may want to move on but if my daughter went missing, every day of my life would be devoted to finding her,” he said. “We have to at least try to find her.”

During the resurgance of the investigation, which has been picked up as a project by the University of North Texas, Pomorski said detectives have spoken with Lucy Larrow on a couple of occasions."

This Lucy Larrow doesn't sound much like a grieving mother. 3 years after her daughters disappearance and she tells Kim's cousin to 'drop it' and move on? If I was the mother I would be searching day and night

So would I. However, not wanting to pursue a missing child's case doesn't mean the mother was involved, or even that she was a bad parent. I'm actually in a discussion about this sort of thing on another board right now. Sometimes people just see it as a very painful experience they'd rather not think about at all. Maybe Lucy figures Kim doesn't want to be found, and she is ashamed/embarrassed/whatever by the whole thing.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080429/NEWS02/804290360/1004

DNA sent to Texas in case of missing Canton teen

When Robert Cooper read an article about a University of North Texas DNA database of unidentified deceased people, his thoughts turned to his cousin Kim Marie Larrow.
It inspired him to reenergize the search for the girl, who was 15 when she went missing from Canton in 1981.
Cooper, 46, of Temperance contacted the Canton Police Department, and the cold case once again is getting attention.
[more at link]

Friday, October 31, 2008
27 years later, missing teen's cousin presses for answers
Christine Ferretti / The Detroit News
CANTON TOWNSHIP -- When Kim Marie Larrow left the Stroh's Ice Cream parlor on Sheldon Road nearly 30 years ago, she was planning to meet up with friends to hang out in Hines Park.

She never showed and nobody seemed to care.

A chronic runaway who liked to hitchhike and hang with a tough, party crowd, the 15-year-old wasn't reported missing for several days after she vanished in the summer of 1981, and her mother refused to cooperate with investigators.

for the full article:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081031/METRO/810310362/&imw=Y

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?section=news/local&id=6733616

March 28, 2009

The body was previously believed to be that of Kim Marie Larrow, who disappeared from Wayne County’s Canton Township. Identification of the body is pending results of the facial reconstruction and DNA tests, police said.

The body was exhumed earlier this month from an unmarked grave in a cemetery in Monroe County’s La Salle Township after doubts arose that it was that of the habitual runaway who went missing in 1981 at age 15, officers said.

A body that was exhumed in Monroe County early this month is likely not that of a missing girl. Investigators say the body of the female washed ashore on Lake Erie in 1982.
Police thought the body could have been that of a chronic runaway who disappeared when she was just 15. But now police say that's not the case after an analysis of teeth and bones has determined the body was that of a woman between 20 and 30.

That still leaves this person exhumed unidentified. I hope that they can get an ID.

I agree with the above commenters, something sounds so not right with the mother telling family to "drop it" after her daughter went missing. Listening to that Evanescence song while thinking of Kim's case makes me cry - as well as think of another long standing case here in MD. In 2007, after being missing 31 years, a cousin of a 14 year old Pasadena, MD girl went to authorities to ask about her case, only to find out there was never anything filed with the police department on her. When the story broke and the media contacted her family, right away a certain relative of hers became defensive, talking about being "framed", "railroaded", "set up", etc. Even though MD has proved successful in prosecuting murders without bodies, it's now 4 years later, yet, this "person of interest", has not been brought up on charges and the girl is still unaccounted for 35 years after she went missing. There are those who believe if you never face justice in this life, it'll certainly catch up with you in the next, but I hate to hear about "persons of interest" who remain free to live their lives, after taking life from their victims - and in cases like these 2, refusing to give up the bodies, in order to end the years of agony and suffering caused to the missing persons loved ones left behind.

The attorney for the mother of a girl believed to be a victim in the unsolved Oakland County child killings called Tuesday for the Department of Justice to take over the case he claims has been "fantastically bungled" by prosecutors and Michigan State Police.

Detroit-based attorney Paul Hughes made the remarks in a news conference Tuesday at the Courtyard Marriott on Jefferson, one day after filing a $100 million federal lawsuit on behalf of Deborah Jarvis, the mother of Kristine Mihelich. Jarvis accused authorities of refusing to meet with families of the victims or provide them with details that could help identify the murderer.

~snip~

He also has identified other possible victims, including Donna Serra, who was abducted Sept. 29, 1972, in St. Clair Shores; Kim Larrow, last seen in Canton Township on June 8, 1981; Kimberly King, who was taken from Warren on Sept. 16, 1979; and Jane Allan, abducted Aug. 8, 1976, in Royal Oak.

Larrow's cousin, Robert Cooper, said Tuesday he hopes the confidential informant has some information to back it up, rather than conjecture.

"It raises the awareness of Kim being missing and the possibility of being investigated at an even higher level," said Robert Cooper, a former Toledo police officer. "I'm very pleased with that."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120425/METRO02/204250335#ixzz1x9t2pNuS

"Her disappearance is considered a missing person case rather than a crime, as there is no evidence of foul play. " (from the case summary in the post #1)

It is unfortunate that this case and so many others like it are treated in this manner. When a 15 year-old child goes missing, it may be that she ran away, or stayed out late, etc. But when she has not showed up in 30 plus years... You would think that maybe it is something more than a kid missing curfew.

Wish we had more information about this one.

Does anyone know the address of the "Stroh's Ice Cream Parlor" on Sheldon Road? I've been familiar with that general area since the early 90s, and I don't remember any ice cream parlors on Sheldon Road during the past 25 years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back