Should Texas have Raided FLDS?

Do you believe Texas should have raided the YFZ compound?

• I believe Texas has exceeded their authority

Votes: 15 12.8%
  • I believe Texas is taking the correct action

Votes: 97 82.9%
  • No opinion at this time

Votes: 5 4.3%

• Total voters
I would like to now your reasons for this poll. I undoubtedly agree with what they did, but either you don't or you have heard from other people who have disagreed - liked to know your thoughts!

lol, poco, I am sure that the three people who vote for door number one will be posting their reasons shortly. I think CPS have done what they are required to do by law- protect children from abusive adults.

Golfmom posted the poll because she mentioned in the CPS thread that this would be a great poll, and Floh said go for it!

lol, poco, I am sure that the three people who vote for door number one will be posting their reasons shortly. I think CPS have done what they are required to do by law- protect children from abusive adults.

Golfmom posted the poll because she mentioned in the CPS thread that this would be a great poll, and Floh said go for it!

Here is that thread: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64025

My hat is off to Texas for what I believe is doing the right thing.
IMO it will take a long time for the truth to come out about just what has happened behind the walls there. There are certain laws in our country that need to be followed, child abuse, mollestation and incest are good laws I believe and I don't care who you are or what religion you are, if you're breaking these laws or allowing your children to be victimised then you should not have control of your children.
I have to wonder, why has it taken so long, I really feel other states dropped the ball. If they had wanted to stop this years ago then this mess in Tx could have been avoided, way to many people in power just looking the other way and not willing to step up to do the right thing.

VB

Vegas, I think the reason the other states haven't done much about it was due to the polygamy issue. There were a great many descended from polygamist familes and it's a hot potato issue, that's the baggage they're carrying. Texas doesn't have that as a problem. Although the other two states have made some small headway in prosecuting for other crimes unrelated to the polygamy issue, the problem grew and grew until it spilled out onto their neighbor Texas. Now Texas is taking the lead and hopefully the other two will review and revamp their methods of dealing with the widespread, systemic abuse. The raid and the issues raised about abuse of women and children is prompting Canada to review their stance as well.

I'm torn. In a way, I think they did the right thing. Those girls were being abused, and the boys were being raised in a manner that wouldn't let them fit into the modern world very well if they should choose to leave their parent's religion. But, legally I don't know if they had a right to do it. I think they acted in good faith initially. But I am also disturbed to think that the camel is getting its nose into the tent of religion. This bears watching, they are going for the FLDS, who/what will they go for next, is what I wonder.

Better safe than sorry, so I think TX is doing the right thing.

I really could care less about polygamists as long as it doesn't involve minors.

I feel Texas did the right thing in going into the YFZ ranch and subsequently removing the children.

This has been a very difficult task for all the agencies involved, due to the sheer numbers of children removed, and they've handled the task with care and concern, doing as much as possible to lessen the impact on the children.

I feel it will be sometime down the road before we learn the extent of abuse that was going on at the YFZ ranch.

I feel Texas did the right thing in going into the YFZ ranch and subsequently removing the children.

This has been a very difficult task for all the agencies involved, due to the sheer numbers of children removed, and they've handled the task with care and concern, doing as much as possible to lessen the impact on the children.

I feel it will be sometime down the road before we learn the extent of abuse that was going on at the YFZ ranch.
I agree. There's several generations of people who've left and all of them, whether they're 13 or 30 or older, they all have reported incest, molestation and other physical and mental abuse. It's awful hard to dismiss it out of hand. I too think that CPS has shown it can step up to the plate and handle a difficult situation.

I would like to now your reasons for this poll. I undoubtedly agree with what they did, but either you don't or you have heard from other people who have disagreed - liked to know your thoughts!

Poco, as Floh explained it was a conversation within a thread. There's been quite a bit of dispute over the actions Texas took and I thought it'd be interesting to see how our members feel. :blowkiss:

I believe Texas did the right thing. I have not posted on this because although I have read for hours and hours, I am sure I have missed many posts. Since I have missed many many posts, my bringing this is may have been discussed before. I remember either 60 minutes or Dateline, a long time ago, discussed the purchase of the property initially. It was supposed to be for hunting but it was already clear that the buyers were involved with the
FLDS. There have been women who has escaped, boys who have been turned out, for years. Had some intervention been done, many of these molestations, many of these babies taken from their mothers given away to who knows who or where, years of abuse, money added to the coffers of this horrible cult, much could have been avoided. Before they get the control they have gained in government in their other cities, why wasn't something done sooner? With the mateial seized, perhaps some real records were kept of what mother had which child. Do the children even know their real birthdates? The very young have a chance, the older children may not.

Heck yes they did the right thing. Pedophiles breeding children for their own use is illegal. Young girls being pregnant by ugly old geezers is proof enough that there is abuse. I think the government should totally outlaw some bunch setting up compounds and having lots of different families living there.

Yes, and I'm just sorry it took so long. Now if only AZ and UT would grow some and step up to the plate......................:mad:

Yes, I think Texas CPS and LE did the right thing and the situation has been handled as well as it could given the lack of cooperation from the "parents".

So far 91.07% of voters here think Texas CPS did the right thing.

this is of course subject to change.

I think the high yes vote is due to the great detective work of everyone active on this forum. Unfortunately I don't think the vote would be this positive if put before the general public and those who have not followed all the articles and read the research.

I heard some bald idiot lawyer type on Fox this morning screaming about the violation of rights in taking away the children. "No proof" was his mantra. Obviously he is not well versed on either the law or the actions and precautions taken by the CPS. He's probably of the belief that children are owned by their parents and have no rights of their own. Grrrrr.........:furious:

The sad fact is the children do not have as many rights as the adults in our country or many others.

Yes, I think that Texas did right by making the raid. I just wish that the other states had done it before they had ended up in Texas.

I noted with interest an interview with an FLDS woman, she echoed a statement I had seen on the web. She asked where the public was and why weren't they coming to the FLDS aid. I believe the FLDS thought that they could do like they did in Short Creek. Blame the government and appeal to those who are anti government. Claim religious persecution, and gain the support of the churches. Blame it on bias because they are different, and appeal to those who feel left out by society. But this time it didn't work.

This time there was national attention. This time there was the internet. This time there were many former members who had spoken out publically about their ordeals and made that info available to the public. This time, their was a clear statement of purposes in the raid. This time there have been too many books and movies about the situation and too much info available to allow them to get by with swaying public attention. So appeals to the public aren't working like they did at Short Creek. I bet that is a bitter pill to swallow.

Yes, I think that Texas did right by making the raid. I just wish that the other states had done it before they had ended up in Texas.

I noted with interest an interview with an FLDS woman, she echoed a statement I had seen on the web. She asked where the public was and why weren't they coming to the FLDS aid. I believe the FLDS thought that they could do like they did in Short Creek. Blame the government and appeal to those who are anti government. Claim religious persecution, and gain the support of the churches. Blame it on bias because they are different, and appeal to those who feel left out by society. But this time it didn't work.

This time there was national attention. This time there was the internet. This time there were many former members who had spoken out publically about their ordeals and made that info available to the public. This time, their was a clear statement of purposes in the raid. This time there have been too many books and movies about the situation and too much info available to allow them to get by with swaying public attention. So appeals to the public aren't working like they did at Short Creek. I bet that is a bitter pill to swallow.
So right. With so many more sources of instant information we're all much more informed. Ironic isn't it? The very same "women" that they choose to subjugate are the ones who escaped and spoke out and have worked to get offical attention and help. And if Swinton's phone call was the one that got CPS/LE out there, ironic that a member of the very race their leaders decry, and a woman to boot made that call. Ironic that a female Judge is making the tought decisions and isn't under the control.

I got my hands on Jon Krakauer's "Under the Banner of Heaven" today and I've started reading it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back