What We Can Do

Salem

Former Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking it is time to start a letter writing/email campaign. After the news of young Mr. Jacobson, I am on the verge of tears. And I am scared for any news concerning Nick Garza.

So - Websleuthers - let's give those detectives a hand. I propose we write a letter/email to the Attorney General of every state, to the Director of the FBI, to the Department of Homeland Security, to State Senators and Congressfolk.

I'll try to draft a letter in the next day or so for all to review and comment on. We need to ask that the FBI/Homeland Security make this a top priority and expend any necessary funds to resolve this case and bring the perps to justice.

And we need to flood them with emails/letters. I'm not sure how many websleuthers we have, but I think if a minimum of 2/3's of us would send the letter and then some of the lurkers/guests do also, we should be able to make a pretty good showing and let the FBI know that the community of the United States at large is interested in seeing this case resolved and that we won't stand for a determination of "no foul play" involved unless it is based on factual evidence and all the clues that point to the connectedness of these crimes has been throughly addressed and adequately explained.

What do you all think?

Salem

I'm thinking it is time to start a letter writing/email campaign. After the news of young Mr. Jacobson, I am on the verge of tears. And I am scared for any news concerning Nick Garza.

So - Websleuthers - let's give those detectives a hand. I propose we write a letter/email to the Attorney General of every state, to the Director of the FBI, to the Department of Homeland Security, to State Senators and Congressfolk.

I'll try to draft a letter in the next day or so for all to review and comment on. We need to ask that the FBI/Homeland Security make this a top priority and expend any necessary funds to resolve this case and bring the perps to justice.

And we need to flood them with emails/letters. I'm not sure how many websleuthers we have, but I think if a minimum of 2/3's of us would send the letter and then some of the lurkers/guests do also, we should be able to make a pretty good showing and let the FBI know that the community of the United States at large is interested in seeing this case resolved and that we won't stand for a determination of "no foul play" involved unless it is based on factual evidence and all the clues that point to the connectedness of these crimes has been throughly addressed and adequately explained.

What do you all think?

Salem

Salem,

I would love to see this happen! I agree, we have to be very noisy about this and I hope college students start nagging their administrations and local LE also. I am so worried about my son and all of his classmates in Madison. And about college kids everywhere. For LE to keep burying their heads in the sand in the face of such an obvious suspicious pattern is just unacceptable! It just makes me sick that there was another one this week, in NY, where the involved detectives were from, and involving a MN kid in a costume, no less! OMG.

Eve

Okay - here is a draft. I need to flush it out with detective names, etc. and I wrote it in a state of emotional upset. PLEASE, please read through it and make any comments, corrections, etc. and then I will try to pull it all together.

If anyone wants to start collecting email addresses and posting them here, that would be great.

Also, I sent Glenn Sacks an email and asked if he would help with a letter writing/email campaign. Hope nobody minds but I think it is time for a public outcry.

Here's the letter:

April 30, 2008

Subject: Drowning Deaths of More than Forty Young Men in the Northern United States
To Whom it May Concern (Can change this for each person sending too):
This letter is to request your attention and support for requesting that the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the Office of Homeland Security investigate the more than forty "accidental drowning deaths" of young men in more than fifteen states.
These deaths have each been investigated by individual law enforcement officials with findings that the deaths were accidental drownings. The findings continue to hold even in the face of overwhelming evidence that the shear number of these types of deaths would lead a reasonable person to believe that it is beyond the probability of coincidence.
Then, upon further investigation of individual cases, it become highly improbable that the cases are not linked in some manner. The majority of the young men found deceased are college students with high GPA’s, they are athletic and well liked. They all have disappeared after spending a night out at a local tavern with friends or after attending a private party with friends. At least two young men have disappeared from their respective campuses after leaving one dorm to return to another. One young man was found five days later in a pond, and the other young man remains missing.
Two retired New York detectives, Kevin Gannon and Anthony Duarte, have been investigating these mysterious deaths and believe they have found connections between several of these cases. However, they need help. These cases span several states and will require the resources of these states in order to insure that they are properly investigated.
I am respectfully requesting that your office make this investigation a high priority and that both the FBI and Homeland Security are directed to undertake this investigation immediately, before another young life is lost.
I have attached several links of online resources which will provide a map of the locations of several of the "drownings," names of the victims and other miscellaneous materials. This information has been compiled by several members of Websleuths and should be used in conjunction with the professionally prepared information that can be provided by the retired detectives.

Sincerely,

Notify the authorities who are closing these suspicious cases as if they're common occurrence. They found the body of Jacobson TODAY and they've already ruled out foul play! Did they even wait for autopsy and toxicology reports? Do they have no concern for the safety of the communities they supposedly "serve and protect?"

Ithaca College Office of Public Safety

607-274-3333

the Ithaca Police Department

607-272-3245.

I know Randal - its heartbreaking.

Salem

Salem, your letter sounds really polished and professional. I for one will be ready to send it out. Maybe such a letter will serve 2 purposes: Pressure the authorities and warn copycats that many people will be alert to any antics they try.

Woah! Slow down here a minute...please! Let's get some input before we start shooting letters off to anyone. We don't want WS to gain the wrong reputation here with people who are leary of us to begin with. We have to be cautious about what we do in this respect.

We have only begun to gain any recognition for our hard word and be taken seriously. It might be detrimental to our entire cause here to jump onto such a band wagon without careful consideration.

I think we should have the mods and Tricia's input and blessing, if we mention WS in the letter. Salem, I am an English teacher and would be glad to proofread anything for grammar and syntax, etc. I think something should be done and I would love to help but I think SS is right, if we are using the WS name, we should pause a bit before actually sending it out. I do think we should work on something though!

Also, I am appalled they have already ruled the NY death accidental. It makes me ill. I just heard the local news here on it (where he was from) and they are not even mentioning the Jenkins and related stories that were running here at the beginning of this very week! The news woman said, "So have they determined that drinking is involved?"

Grrrrrr! I am furious.

Eve

Eve - please, please feel free to proof, etc. As I said, I wrote it while quite emotional about Mr. Jacobson.

AND - the purpose of this thread is so that everyone will take a look and add their comments. If we want to take out any reference to Websleuths, that's okay with me. I understand perfectly about not wanting to compromise our reputation and it makes sense to me. I put websleuths in so that I could talk about all the hard work that has been done and refer to the links, but we can find another way to do that.

I just think we have to raise awareness and let our LE folks know that we expect them to do a thorough job. And I think we need to make a giant effort to get our government to throw some resources at this problem.

I really don't want to read about one more missing young man showing up in a river. ):

So all ideas and comments and revisions are welcome and again, this does not have to go out as websleuth thing, it can go and maybe it should go as a stand alone mass email campaign.

Salem

Also, I am appalled they have already ruled the NY death accidental. It makes me ill. I just heard the local news here on it (where he was from) and they are not even mentioning the Jenkins and related stories that were running here at the beginning of this very week! The news woman said, "So have they determined that drinking is involved?"

Yep...Apparently all you have to do nowadays to get away with murder is target drunk people walking near small bodies of water- puddles even.

Leiutenant McMurphy: "We found a body submerged in a shallow pond for no apparent reason."
Officer Krupke: "Hmm sounds suspicious..."
Leiutenant McMurphy: "Not so fast...the victim was seen earlier holding a 12 oz cup of light beer and he only walked about a mile, uphill, along several small trails and sideroads- all under his own power, before reaching the pond."
Officer Krupke: "Ahh....he obviously was completely hammered, walked directly into the deepest water, and was in such a drunken stupor he never realized he was drowning."
Leiutenant McMurphy: "Yep. Case closed. Let's go get some donuts."

I had already planned to send out some emails but w/o the websleuths angle.

Although I personally think LE could get some ideas by reading some of the threads here. There is some good sleuthing going on. I think LE is a bit more respectful of amateurs now due to the success the doe network has had, too.

I am wondering if you can play up in your letter the distinction between cause of death (drowning) and manner of death (accidental versus homicide), as that medical examiner noted? Because LE is not getting past the drowning and looking deeper.

Keep in mind, the two detectives who brought this to light are highly decorated officers...in other words...two of their own. They refuse to even entertain their thoughts as they pertain to these cases, I don't believe LE is going to entertain our's.

Keep in mind, the two detectives who brought this to light are highly decorated officers...in other words...two of their own. They refuse to even entertain their thoughts as they pertain to these cases, I don't believe LE is going to entertain our's.

I hear you SS - but my plan is to go over LE's head. I think a mass email/letter writing campaign to the FBI/Homeland Security and then to Congressfolks and Senators, especially in the states where we have victims would open some eyes.

I don't mind so much that LE does not agree with the detectives' theory, but I mind a heck of a lot that they are not coming up with a theory of their own. I know at this point it has to be very expensive, especially if you start talking about exhuming bodies for further analysis and things like that, so there has to be a way to get them resources. Small town LE budgets don't go that far...

If we blanket every govt official we can think of, somebody might listen.

Salem

My feeling is a letter campaign is premature here. Gannon and Duarte barely went public with this. There are some LE that is looking at the new info. All it's going to take is for one agency to give Gannon and Duarte some credibility and the ball will get rolling.

Letter campaigns have backfired in the past. I know of one case where the FBI was voluntarily looking at a corrupt police force and backed out and won't touch it now because of a letter campaign. Now because the FBI won't touch it, the DOJ won't either.

When they decide to do a petition drive to try and get it to the Grand Jury, we can certainly help there.

In the meantime, everyone's hands are tied because the law actually stands with LE and DA's offices in all of these cases. No evidence of foul play coupled with the accidental drowning as COD from the MEs means no one has legal jurisdiction yet to step in no matter how high up you go. The State's Attorney General can look into how cases were handled, but even then they would have to go with what the law allows them to do (or it is my understanding of the situation).

I know it is frustrating. Trust me, they are having pressure applied from various sources all over the country right now on their departments to reconsider each case. Some will and some won't.

Yep...Apparently all you have to do nowadays to get away with murder is target drunk people walking near small bodies of water- puddles even.

Leiutenant McMurphy: "We found a body submerged in a shallow pond for no apparent reason."
Officer Krupke: "Hmm sounds suspicious..."
Leiutenant McMurphy: "Not so fast...the victim was seen earlier holding a 12 oz cup of light beer and he only walked about a mile, uphill, along several small trails and sideroads- all under his own power, before reaching the pond."
Officer Krupke: "Ahh....he obviously was completely hammered, walked directly into the deepest water, and was in such a drunken stupor he never realized he was drowning."
Leiutenant McMurphy: "Yep. Case closed. Let's go get some donuts."

Over donuts:

Krupke: "Yup, Mac, another Joe College gets so trashed he falls in the water. Are these smart boys getting dumb and dumber, or what? Didn't they take swimming lessons at the Country Club?"

Mc Murphy: "Yeah Joe, I rounded up 78 of 'em Saturday night. Cried like babies when they had to do a night in the tank. Might f-up their law school applications, ya know."

Eve

I am frustrated, I admit it. The whole Jacobson incident happened AFTER the news broke. I really thought we would have a reprieve. And, as Randall said - LE was already saying "no foul play."

In my opinion - there IS evidence, they are not looking hard enough and they are not finding it because they don't know what they are looking for so instead of investigating deeper, they are writing these cases off.

I am sure these LE are smart enough, unfortunately they seem to be lacking in determination, persistence and a desire to find the truth and I'm having trouble with that.

Salem

I am frustrated, I admit it. The whole Jacobson incident happened AFTER the news broke. I really thought we would have a reprieve. And, as Randall said - LE was already saying "no foul play."

In my opinion - there IS evidence, they are not looking hard enough and they are not finding it because they don't know what they are looking for so instead of investigating deeper, they are writing these cases off.

I am sure these LE are smart enough, unfortunately they seem to be lacking in determination, persistence and a desire to find the truth and I'm having trouble with that.

Salem

I have said on other threads that I think there is even more involved with the cases being written off. These young men are virtually all out having a good time and indulging and that just pollutes the mindset of the police. They just thoughtlessly conclude "Well, another drunken college boy bites the dust. When are these dumb kids going to learn?" Also, the campuses don't want a panic - a PR nightmare.

Eve

Since some of these cases MAY have been "through the internet", has anyone thought of "posing" as a student? Yeah, that's a little scary, but one could gain a lot of knowledge on chat rooms, Facebook, Myspace, and the others that are out there.

This was just a thought...I realize its not exactly the "smartest" thing to do, and I don't encourage anyone to do this - but you would think LE might do this themselves.

This is web sleuths so lets sleuth.I doubt the detectives have hard evidence.I am not knocking them or anything but knowing the pattern of crime does not necessarily prove what individual committed which crime.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galluvstrucrime
Back