MI - Rose Marie Kelley, 5, dies of extreme neglect, Flint, 3 June 2006

Autumn2004

Inactive
Reaction score
I did a search and didnt find a thread for this sweetie.

This story has disturbed me for the longest time and to find out the scum of a mother is getting out early makes me sick :mad: Everywhere you look this girl was neglected by the parents and by the state.

http://www.mlive.com/flintjournal/index.ssf/2008/03/mother_of_flint_girl_who_died.html

"She just wants to get on with her life," he said.
Must be nice to have a life still to get on with!

This and so many other case prove that babies and children are nothing in this country. You can kill them by many different ways and more than likely you will not get that harsh of treatment.

Yes when it happens everyone is upset and disgusted but most of these sick monsters get out early and hardly serve any time.:furious::furious::furious:

These poor little ones have no protection and most of the time no justice.

:( Why is she even being considered for early release and the father isn't?

Because she is a woman and in most cases our officials still want to overlook the fact that women can be just as evil and vile as some men.

I really believe people like this "mother" should be put to death.

Just look at the sentence they got 17 months to 15 years for *murder? :furious::furious:

He will be getting out way before the 15 years are up.

They should get life without parole but they love to let killers of babies out early in this world!:confused:

I think this woman must be mentally ill, how could you live in a house in such a condition, much less subject your children to it??? I just don't understand. :confused: Still, there is no excuse!

Michigan is so *nice* to their criminals, we dont have the death penalty up here and it is commonplace to get out early. We had a prisoner escape the other day because they let him outside the gate by himself with no close supervision to clean up, they trust the criminals. Mentally ill or not that *mother* doesnt deserve to be able to be released after she let her daughter die knowing she couldnt walk because she was so ill. She cared much more about herself than her kids.

Just look at the sentence they got 17 months to 15 years for *murder? :furious::furious:

He will be getting out way before the 15 years are up.

They should get life without parole but they love to let killers of babies out early in this world!:confused:

Drug dealers get a much harsher sentence than the murder of a little girl.

Police investigating the case said Bowen told them she knew her daughter was sick for days but never took her to the doctor because she feared losing all of her children once authorities discovered conditions in the home.

Um, here's a thought, CLEAN THE HOUSE! Then she wouldn't have to worry if one of her kids needed medical attention. She understood that the conditions in the house were bad, and had cleaned up the place each of the FIVE TIMES DHS became involved, so why not just keep it clean?

And, can someone please tell me that there are cases in which DHS becomes involved and actually does some good? We either hear about cases like this, where they're called but don't do any good and kids end up dying, or cases where they become involved over very minor issues and tear families apart. I'm beginning to wonder which families they're actually helping.

Here's much more information on what went on in the house and the many calls reported to dhs some of this is very disturbing- :(
http://blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/special/2007/03/coming_sunday.html

snip-
Rose Kelley died June 3, 2006, from liver disease likely brought on by malnutrition and overuse of the fever- and pain-reliever acetaminophen, according to a medical examiner's report.

The brown-haired, blue-eyed girl weighed just 35 pounds at the time of her death, so sick in her last days that her speech was slurred and she was too weak to walk, according to transcripts of interviews with her parents.

After several days of illness, the little girl died, her head so covered with biting lice that one witness told police her scalp smelled of rotting flesh.

I see-the SIL of Rose's father thinks that DSS should bear most of the blame. Hmm, she was close enough to the situation to have an opinion-she wasn't close enough to rescue those children from squalor? I mean, only people with significant mental illness live that way...and Rose's mom worked? Was she also lice infested?

Yikes. This is just not right-5 times these children were under the care of case workers-the case workers did not notice a pattern, or do they not receive records of prior complaints before they head out for the home visit...

Neither of these so-called "parents" should be released from prison..

I see-the SIL of Rose's father thinks that DSS should bear most of the blame. Hmm, she was close enough to the situation to have an opinion-she wasn't close enough to rescue those children from squalor? I mean, only people with significant mental illness live that way...and Rose's mom worked? Was she also lice infested?

Yikes. This is just not right-5 times these children were under the care of case workers-the case workers did not notice a pattern, or do they not receive records of prior complaints before they head out for the home visit...

I noticed that in one article, Kelley's sister said, "If my brother has to sit in jail - so should she!"

This is the mentality we're dealing with. Not, "They both deserve to rot for murdering my niece."

Very telling.

A young college girl near where I live pled guilty to giving birth to a baby and then dumping the baby in a dumpster. The girl told authorities the baby was stillborn, and since they could never find the baby......she got a sentence of 30 days in jail......suspended! :mad:

Our poor children! :blowkiss:

I will try to give a little information on DHS so there's better understanding. First, let me say that sometimes there are bad workers and this is not to say that all workers are good.

hipmamajen ~ You asked about what good DHS does. I know, the stories that make it in the news and the ones people talk about are the bad ones. To give you an idea, the county I work for has 60 foster care workers. Each worker carries a caseload of 20-40 children. That's 1200-1400 children in just one county! The percentage of bad cases you hear is very small when compared to how many children/families are in the system. No child should ever fall through the cracks, but for various reasons, it does happen. There are a lot of sucess stories. Sometimes the papers will write a little paragraph on it, but usually nothing is mentioned because that's not "news". Make sense?

In regards to DHS being at the home a number of times and "not doing anything", a lot of times workers hands are tied by laws and other things. The goal of foster care is to return the child(ren) to the parent. DHS is supposed to bend over backwards and do everything in their power to a) not have to remove the child(ren) to begin with or b) return the child(ren) home as soon as possible. There are services that are offered and checks that are made. If someone goes out to a home and does not see a health risk, there is legally nothing they can do. Workers must PROVE allegations to a court in order to become involved. In order to keep a child in care, a worker must continue to prove a risk of harm. If parents do everything that is asked of them, there is no legal way to keep the children from going home. Workers can have "gut feelings", but those don't fly in court. You must have hard evidence. Sometimes that's a really good thing, other times it ends up creating bad situations. Also, the court has the final say. Workers give their recommendations, but the court decides if they want to follow those recommendations.

With all that said, I don't know the details of the case on here other than what I've read. I just wanted to give a little background and let people know that sometimes the media doesn't give, or know, the whole story.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back