Baby dies after being mauled by grandma's pitbull

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
A 16-month-old boy died Saturday after being mauled by his grandmother's pit bull while visiting her home on Detroit's west side, police said.
The boy's mother brought the boy to the home for a visit with her 54-year-old mother, Detroit Police Officer Glen Woods said.

The grandmother was washing dishes and apparently placed the child on the floor to play with the dog, Woods said. The dog mauled the child, Woods said, and bit off one of the grandmother's fingers as she tried to stop the attack.

http://www.freep.com/news/latestnews/pm19197_20040404.htm

Some people don't have the common sense they're born with.

i trust the lady won't ever sleep peacefully after being so wreckless with her grandchild.

i apologise if that sounds harsh, but so does trusting a dog with a baby.

i say it's good she lost one of her fingers as a constant reminder.

perhaps that will knock some smarts into her.

actually, i don't care about the grandmother at all.

I just love these people who insist on keeping these vicious dogs no matter what.....some people just don't care about anything but doing what they want. I for one think they ought to lock her up. SAme goes for these people who "accidentally" leave their kids in hot cars all day long to roast to death. It's neglect to put a child in harms way.....period.

Please....don't tell me about how "pit bulls" rottweilers, etc aren't vicious dogs....I don't want to hear that nonsense....it should NEVER be worth taking a chance with a child. These dogs have been all over the news in past years and when they attack they do terrible damage - but these boneheads insist on going against common sense and the innocent pay the price.

Sherry67 said:
I just love these people who insist on keeping these vicious dogs no matter what.....some people just don't care about anything but doing what they want. I for one think they ought to lock her up. SAme goes for these people who "accidentally" leave their kids in hot cars all day long to roast to death. It's neglect to put a child in harms way.....period.

Please....don't tell me about how "pit bulls" rottweilers, etc aren't vicious dogs....I don't want to hear that nonsense....it should NEVER be worth taking a chance with a child. These dogs have been all over the news in past years and when they attack they do terrible damage - but these boneheads insist on going against common sense and the innocent pay the price.

Sherry, I don't suppose you've been in the "UP to the Minute" forum lately??????

POSTED: 2:39 pm PST November 15, 2005
UPDATED: 7:31 pm PST November 15, 2005

<!--startindex-->SAN FRANCISCO -- City supervisors passed a new set of laws Tuesday requiring spaying and neutering of pit bulls five months after the fatal mauling of a 12-year-old boy by his family's pit bulls.

The decision came in the face of a threat of a ballot initiative to overturn a tough new state dog law. It is the latest move in the contentious debate about how to regulate pit bulls after the death of Nicholas Faibish in June."This will serve as a model for other cities in how to responsibly craft laws and policies that deal with dog aggression," said Supervisor Bevan Dufty, who wrote the ordinances. "We needed to do something."

Dufty said that over the next two to three years, the rules will reduce the number of pit bulls in the hands of irresponsible owners.

The ordinances also require city permits to breed pit bulls and prohibit owners of pit bulls or pit bull mixes from retrieving impounded dogs unless the animals are sterilized.

Owners who refuse to spaying or neutering would face fines of up to $1,000. Breeders of show dogs recognized by a kennel club would be exempt. The ordinances are scheduled to go into effect on Jan. 1.

Contra Costa County supervisors on Tuesday also approved regulations requiring permits for potentially dangerous dogs that have acted aggressively, and prohibiting felons from owning such dogs. Those rules do not apply to specific breeds.

In particular, convicted felons cannot own dogs over 20 pounds unless they can prove that the dog is not vicious. more at link: http://www.ktvu.com/news/5332992/detail.html

And... to the poster (I think it was Curlytone) who asked if I'd ever seen an angry Lab. As a matter of fact I have. I pulled apart by the collar two large male Labs who were fighting to the death (territorial), going for each other's throats and neither one harmed me- worst I got was a run in my nylons!!!

Jeana (DP) said:
Sherry, I don't suppose you've been in the "UP to the Minute" forum lately??????
Jeana...don't even go there! LOL
Geeeze things got real hot there!!!! :D

The fact is that kids and a LOT ( not all) of dogs do not mix. I think that dogs are either jealous of or sense the unpredictability that kids have about them. I don't know why people insist on keeping the 2 together. When my son was young my sister in law was married to a jerk who apparently loved his dog more than his family. Anyway, the dog hated my kid and my son who was only 2 at the time NEVER did anything to the dog....but the dog would growl and basically show agression around him. They saw this and did nothing - wouldn't tie the dog up or put it away while we were at their house or anything. Needless to say - I left. For people to care more about letting the dog have it's "freedom" and risk a child being chewed up was absolutely ridiculous. Needless to say, I never attended any functions at their house again as long as the dog was around. It didn't ake long..............for them wanting to allow the dog to be "free" ...well, it ran to the road and you know the rest.

I realize that people love their dogs. But I've met some dog lovers who lack total common sense. I'm a little sour on the subject.

Sorry if I offended anyone. it wasn't intentional.

No offense taken here. I would feel the same way.

LinasK said:
<!--startindex-->SAN FRANCISCO -- City supervisors passed a new set of laws Tuesday requiring spaying and neutering of pit bulls five months after the fatal mauling of a 12-year-old boy by his family's pit bulls.
Thats a move in the right direction... thanks for posting Linas

(I don't know how this thread got in Bizarre, I must have clicked the wrong forum when I started it - I meant it for Crimes in the News)

I do not want this to turn into the heated debate that the last one did so I am not going to talk about breed or anything like that, but the following paper gives really good information and considerations that we should make in our communities to reduce any dog bite injuries. It is long, and to be fair, it should be read in its entirety. It is titled, "A community approach to dog bite prevention" and was developed by the American Veterinary Medical Association Task Force on Canine Aggression and Human-Canine Interactions.

http://www.avma.org/pubhlth/dogbite/dogbite.pdf

Wasn't sure where to post this....I was unable to answer your private message as you have yours set not to accept any. Didn't want you to think I was being rude!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back