Marion County Inmates are Self-Sufficient!

Liz

I am not a chemist and this is not my 1st rodeo
Reaction score
I just heard a report about this on Fox News and think it's FANTASTIC!

It was a mini-report by Orlando Salinas. He told and showed how the inmates in Marion County, FL are self-sufficient in every way except for guarding themselves!

They grow their own food; raise their own cattle, pigs and chickens; make their own uniforms; and even sew the sheriff's uniforms! I think all prisons should operate like this.

I actually think they're eating better than a lot of us are. They get all those nice fresh veggies, fish and meat; and they know what's in them and where they came from! I bet they don't have all the pesticides and growth hormones and crap in their cattle that are basically forced upon us as we buy from the grocery stores!

Orlando reported that this saves the taxpayers tons of money, which I am really grateful for, being a Marion County property owner. And, Lord knows my property taxes are sky high as it is! Thank goodness for small favors though.

Kudos to Marion County for making their inmates self-sufficient!

Found this one link about it, but it only mentions the Tillapia they are raising for food - it will cost them abougt 39 cents a pound! Nice!

http://www.ocala.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060315/NEWS/203150347&SearchID=73239046087518

Wow! Wouldn't it be great if ALL prison systems ran like that? I just don't get why WE have to pay for they're mistakes. Especially the sub-human ones, meaning child killers/molesters. Anything to do with children, I say off with their heads and B--S!

Great article Liz!!!

Yes, I think it would be great for them, and for our tax dollars! Plus, lucky for them to get all that great fresh food! I'm a bit jealous. lol (No, not *that* jealous! :D )

That's a great idea! I wish our prisons were like that. Heck, I wish my HOUSE was like that!

That's a great idea! I wish our prisons were like that. Heck, I wish my HOUSE was like that!

I know what you mean! I am planning on suggesting it to the sheriff in the county I reside in. Our growing season isn't as long, but they can sure have the pigs, cows and chickens and eggs all year long! And the sewing of the uniforms shouldn't be a problem, either. Course they can only do this in minimum security prisons. But every bit helps!

What a terrific model. It's good for everyone - the people on the inside and the people on the outside.

I would love to think that other prisons would strive for a similar environment. I'm a bit skeptical because prison is big business where lots of bucks are made. You can't make as much money on a self-sufficient institution.

I know what you mean, SCM. I've heard reports that prisons are the fastest growing industry in America.

I'd think if you wanted to go to prison, the state prisons in Marion County would be the ones to be imprisoned at. I used to call on those prisons, as a sales rep, when I lived in Florida.

Found through this article that Utah County jail inmates also do a lot of vegetable gardening. Last year they produced 41 tons of produce on a 5 acre plot last year. Much of that was donated to a local food bank and Orem residents who were unable to plant/grow due to the japanese beetle-eradication programs. How :cool:

http://www.sltrib.com/News/ci_8917112

Not to mention, they are learning skills they can use when/if they get out. It probably does wonders for their success rate when they get out. They are learning to be contributing, productive members of a group; maybe the next step is to be law abiding citizens and productive members of civilized society. I would think it would be a huge change to their mindset upon release instead of feeling like they have no other options except a life of crime to survive.

Curious to see statistics about reoffense rates.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back