Artificial reef near Miami is cemetery, diving attraction

Dark Knight

Reaction score
MIAMI - About 45 feet beneath the ocean's surface lies a cemetery with gates, pathways, plaques and even benches.

The Neptune Memorial Reef, which opened last fall, is seen by its creators as a perfect final resting spot for those who loved the sea. They hope that one day the reef will cover 16 acres and have room for 125,000 remains.

The Neptune Memorial Reef is located in open waters 3 1/4 miles off the coast of Key Biscayne, which means any certified diver can visit. The artificial reef's first phase allows for about 850 remains.

The ashes are mixed with cement designed for underwater use and fitted into a mold, which a diver then places and secures into the reef. A copper and bronze plaque is installed with the person's name, date of birth and death. There is also a line for a message.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080510/ap_on_re_us/cemetery_reef;_ylt=AoPT6NfRebigMBZ_elimoRas0NUE

Well, I see this as a valuable alternative to the over population of our planet. We can sure use the land for farming than cemetaries.

I just read about this in our local paper. I think having one's ashes "scattered" there would be pretty neat! (I almost like this better than donating my body to science!) :)

I think it's a great idea. I know lots of water lovers who will think this idea is grand.

This sounds like it would be a wonderful eternal resting place. I would do it. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back