NJ NJ - Mindy Jordan, 46, missing from cruise ship off Atlantic City, 11 May 2008

lilsister

Reaction score
They had to call off the search for her due to bad weather. Hopefully she will be found and my thoughts are with her family. The ship has since been released to continue to it's destination (Bermuda). One question is, how do you just "fall off" a ship? More details are needed in this case and many of us know how cruise lines will cover up the bad stuff that happens during their voyages. Article link below...hope it works...

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080512/NEWS/80512054

They had to call off the search for her due to bad weather. Hopefully she will be found and my thoughts are with her family. The ship has since been released to continue to it's destination (Bermuda). One question is, how do you just "fall off" a ship? More details are needed in this case and many of us know how cruise lines will cover up the bad stuff that happens during their voyages. Article link below...hope it works...

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080512/NEWS/80512054

I only went on one cruise, but was amazed at how easy it would be to be blown over by the gusts of wind when you're on the topmost area. It was an awesome view they don't want to restrict by guard fences, I suppose.

I only went on one cruise, but was amazed at how easy it would be to be blown over by the gusts of wind when you're on the topmost area. It was an awesome view they don't want to restrict by guard fences, I suppose.

I thought that way, too! The top deck was spectacular but very scary. We had a balcony room which I loved, but I think falling off a ship is very easy.

I hope they find this lady. Prayers to her family.

The both of you make very good points. It is just so sad that the search had to be ended so soon but unfortunately it is a pretty grim scenario regardless. Again, I would like to send my prayers to her friends and family. :(

I was on this ship and the only way to fall off would be to hang over the railings or be pushed.
How very sad for the family.

I would hope that the cruise line would investigate this matter further and not just chalk it up to carelessness or heavy wind conditions. She deserves that. I would also assume there were some witnesses to what happened and we will learn more from them (she did not fall over board in the wee hours but during the evening).

Winston Churchill (yeah, THAT one) wrote a very good but short story about a man who falls overboard from a ship. Very scary stuff.

There is little to no chance this lady is alive. What a scary way to die.

I was on this ship and the only way to fall off would be to hang over the railings or be pushed.

Thanks for the input csds as you have actually been on this particular ship :). If indeed she just "fell overboard" then the cruise line might be remiss in their safety precautions. It should not be that easy to fall overboard any vessel of this magnitude.

I predict this thread will be moved to the Crimes section soon. Below is the latest. The BF is either guilty or one odd duck.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=6137000

(snip)
It is still unclear what happened to Mindy Jordan, but the Coast Guard has called off the search for her because of bad weather. Jordan's boyfriend of 2 and a half years, Jorge Caputo, called Mindy's mother to tell her she was fooling around near the edge of the ship, lost her grip and fell overboard Sunday night. It happened just hours after the cruise ship, called the Norweigian Dawn, departed New York City for Bermuda.
"So I said, 'What are you going to do?' Because he said something about helicopters being there, and he said, 'Well I guess I'm just going to have to go on to Bermuda.' So, he's continuing his trip as usual," explained Louise Horton, Mindy's mother.

Mindy's sister Julie August says, "My sister is 4-foot 10, 98 pounds. It would not have been easy for her to get up on a railing. Nor is that in character for her. She is a nurse. She's not prone to behavior like that."

http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080512/NEWS01/80512045/1006

(snip)
Relatives learned of Jordan's disappearance from her boyfriend and traveling companion, Jorge Caputo of Pine Hill, August said.

"He said she was clowning around and she fell over," said August. "Who knows? We weren't there."

But, she contended, "It's just not adding up."

A Coast Guard spokesman said a "marine casualty investigation" will look into the cruise ship's operation during the incident.

"From what I understand, the FBI's also involved in this particular case," said the spokesman, Petty Officer Christopher Evanson. "They are separate investigations."

I predict this thread will be moved to the Crimes section soon. Below is the latest. The BF is either guilty or one odd duck.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=6137000

(snip)
It is still unclear what happened to Mindy Jordan, but the Coast Guard has called off the search for her because of bad weather. Jordan's boyfriend of 2 and a half years, Jorge Caputo, called Mindy's mother to tell her she was fooling around near the edge of the ship, lost her grip and fell overboard Sunday night. It happened just hours after the cruise ship, called the Norweigian Dawn, departed New York City for Bermuda.
"So I said, 'What are you going to do?' Because he said something about helicopters being there, and he said, 'Well I guess I'm just going to have to go on to Bermuda.' So, he's continuing his trip as usual," explained Louise Horton, Mindy's mother.

Mindy's sister Julie August says, "My sister is 4-foot 10, 98 pounds. It would not have been easy for her to get up on a railing. Nor is that in character for her. She is a nurse. She's not prone to behavior like that."

I've been on two cruises and if someone I didn't even know had fallen off my ship without much hope of being found, there is no way I could enjoy the rest of the trip at all, I'd be so upset.

This guy sounds like " Oh well, on with the trip". Maybe I'm judging too quickly, but something makes me feel odd about this guy.

Obviously, this mother doesn't know that most of the nurses I hang out with are some fun and partying creatures. Being on a cruise could entice her to imbibe a bit and let her hair down with her boyfriend.

I could see how people would be curious to wander the ship to check it all out even in bad weather (maybe there was a break in the rain). Alcohol, wind, rain, slick decks, and someone who isn't used to being on the water to begin with can create such a situation.

I think him staying on the ship is where I would actually want him to be. This way, they can investigate the situation without him slipping away from them quite so easily. Since the FBI is involved, I don't know the cruise ship is going to be able to chalk it up to carelessness if it is indeed not her fault.

I've been on two cruises and if someone I didn't even know had fallen off my ship without much hope of being found, there is no way I could enjoy the rest of the trip at all, I'd be so upset.

This guy sounds like " Oh well, on with the trip". Maybe I'm judging too quickly, but something makes me feel odd about this guy.

What is odd — it shrieks "odd" — is the man could possibly want to continue his trip. unless it's a fact he wouldn't be allowed to disembark (was physically unable due to being at sea) until he got to Bermuda then took/takes an immediate flight home.

Obviously, this mother doesn't know that most of the nurses I hang out with are some fun and partying creatures. Being on a cruise could entice her to imbibe a bit and let her hair down with her boyfriend.

I could see how people would be curious to wander the ship to check it all out even in bad weather (maybe there was a break in the rain). Alcohol, wind, rain, slick decks, and someone who isn't used to being on the water to begin with can create such a situation.

Yes. in the distant past i've taken risks when alcohol has eradicated my sensible-gene. :blushing::blushing::blushing:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Yes. in the distant past i've taken risks when alcohol has eradicated my sensible-gene. :blushing::blushing::blushing:
:waitasec: Hmmm...You mean you were born with a sensible-gene?! Am I supposed to own one of those, too?!

What is odd — it shrieks "odd" — is the man could possibly want to continue his trip. unless it's a fact he wouldn't be allowed to disembark (was physically unable due to being at sea) until he got to Bermuda then took/takes an immediate flight home.
Well, maybe that is what he meant when he told her mother he guessed he would have to continue on to Bermuda...that they would not allow him to disembark until then. Perhaps she read too much into it. I am sure he was probably very upset since they had been dating over two years. Even if he were guilty of something, I don't think it was a flip comment to her.

Seasick - hanging over railing?
Drunk - hanging over railing?

I am not much of a drinker, but something about a cruise made me act like a drunken sailor. I can totally see it as an accident.

True. I didn't consider that she could be dizzy or getting sick over the side. The windy and stormy weather could certainly cause a horrid upset stomach on a ship.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kac1991
Back