GUILTY AZ - Alisa Beck, 21, & Karen Campbell, 44, murdered, Mesa, 2004 & 2007

shadowraiths

LISK Liaison, Verified Forensic Psychology Special
Staff member
Reaction score
Police waiting to release sketch of Mesa predator
Reported by: Christopher Sign
5/13

PHOENIX, AZ -- Just days after Mesa police announced two unsolved killings and a sexual assault were linked by DNA, a fourth case has been added to the list of crimes tied to a serial predator.

Investigators have also released details about the suspect, who is described as an Asian man with a medium build between the ages of 25 and 35.

Victims describe him as 5 foot 6 inches tall to 5 foot 10 inches tall, with a neat, clean-shaven appearance. He has short black hair and may have a scar under his left eye.

Mesa detectives confirm they do have a sketch of the serial predator but are not releasing it to the public at this point.
Full article: click here

Also see:

While I respect they want to make sure it is accurate, in the meantime, this guy is still out there free to rape and kill more women. It also disturbs me that they had this for five months and because of a backlog didn't make the connection. (Maybe they should have asked Reno to run it for them! I hear they bought their way out of a backlog.)

Speaking of Reno, I hope they go ahead and compare it to cases there. I don't believe he is involved with Bri Dennison's case, but they need to look at it.

Too bad the last vic couldn't remember where the house was. LE has to have a pretty close area pinned down right? Phoenix sure has had it's share of serial killers lately.

Where was this guy from 2004-2007 ? Or is he suddenly escalating? His victims run the gamut of ages, and at least one was not a prostitute. Two were taken to a different location, were both at the same house? One escaped and the other left for dead on a street. More info on the vics below:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/mesa/articles/2008/05/12/20080512mr-fourth.html

WITNESS. DNA LINKS Mesa and Phoenix police have linked four cases to a man they're calling a serial predator. **Nov. 1, 2004: The body of Alisa Marie Beck, 21, was found partially clothed in a Mesa alley near Country Club Drive and McLellan Road. Beck, who had a history of prostitution and drug arrests, was sexually assaulted and strangled. **Aug. 16, 2007: A 47-year-old Mesa woman was abducted near Main Street and Horne, taken to a different location and beaten and raped. She escaped her attacker. **Oct. 14, 2007: Karen Jane Campbell, 44, was found nude on the roadway in west Mesa. She had been sexually assaulted and strangled. She had a history of prostitution and drug use. **Nov. 4, 2007: A 35-year-old Phoenix woman was abducted near Seventh Street and Osborn, taken to a different location and raped and beaten. Police said the woman did not have a history of prostitution, police said.

I immediately thought of Bri.
I hope this slug is captured soon.

There has been an arrest, more at link and video:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/mesa/articles/2008/05/14/20080514mr-crimeupdate0514.html

A combination of tips from the public and swift work by the Mesa police crime lab led to an arrest Wednesday of a suspect in a series of sexual assaults and murders in Mesa and Phoenix.
“We want to let the community know they can relax,” Mesa police Chief George Gascón. “We have significant evidence to support the belief that we have the right person.”
Police obtained the DNA of the 38-year-old suspect from an undisclosed source Tuesday and matched the sample to DNA evidence from the crimes. The crime lab staff worked around the clock Tuesday to make the match in 17 hours. It typically takes 24 hours.

ETA: I thought the below comment was interesting.

Police said the investigation is ongoing and there may be other suspects involved. Gascón said that the police are serving several search warrants on residences and vehicles and looking at biological evidence.

SuziQ,

Here's one,
http://www.kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=8326393

May 14, 2008 8:14 PM ET
MESA, Ariz. (AP) - Mesa police say they've caught a suspected serial killer who allegedly attacked four women, killing two.
Mesa Police Chief George Gascon would not identify the suspect, except to say that he is 38-years-old, lives in Mesa and has a previous criminal history.

This is huge! :clap:
YEAHHHHH ! Glad this creep is finally behind bars. :clap::woohoo::woohoo:
Police had the suspect under surveillance for about a day before arresting him Wednesday afternoon.

Could this be related? (Please delete if this was already posed. ;) )
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/police-mesa-costa-2038652-woman-santa
A Las Vegas woman working as a prostitute in Santa Ana was sexually assaulted, stabbed and cut in Costa Mesa Thursday night, police said.
Costa Mesa police are seeking a 29-year-old Latino of medium build, with short, curly hair, a mustache and a thin beard. The suspect will have obvious injuries to his lower lip, eyes and face, police said.

A little more info this morning:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/mesa/articles/2008/05/15/20080515mr-crimeupdate0514.html

(snip)
Gascón said authorities are withholding the suspect's name, mugshot and other details until victims can identify him through photo lineups. "DNA has been the key piece of evidence that has linked all the various activities," Gascón said.
Police would only say that the man is a 38-year-old Mesa resident with several prostitution arrests as a customer. The two slain women had a history of prostitution.
Police had the suspect under surveillance for a little more than a day and took him into custody peacefully at 2:15 p.m. Wednesday, according to Gascón.
"He is talking," said Detective Steve Berry, a Mesa police spokesman.

Why are they withholding his identity, especially if he's talking?

Why are they withholding his identity, especially if he's talking?

LE states that it's because of witness ID, but they also state others may be involved. The latter might be why.

Thanks, SuziQ. Don't they know we WSer's want to get started researching this guy? lol

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back