77-year-old man holds world record for blood donations

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
ST. LOUIS (AP) — At a time when blood donations are down, the American Red Cross is especially pleased with a St. Louis man.
Maurice Wood, 77, holds a pair of records in the Guinness Book of World Records for giving blood. He has been donating for 54 years, longer than anyone else in the world, and has made 301 donations during that span.

Every two months, Wood travels to the South St. Louis County American Red Cross donation center in Crestwood, although he could easily come up with excuses to stay home. He takes medicine for Parkinson's disease and high blood pressure.

"I come because I like the idea," he told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "I always have. I am going to give until I can't give any more. It's a pleasure to give. It is easy to do, and I know that somewhere, it helps save somebody's life."

Colleen Meyer, supervising nurse at the donation center, said Wood is so persistent in his mission that he battled an ice storm the last time he donated.

So far, Wood has given 37 1/2 gallons of blood, one pint at a time. The Guinness world-record holder, Maurice Creswick of South Africa, has donated 49 gallons.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2004-04-06-blood-record_x.htm

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back