National postpartum illness screening effort stalls

Lola

Reaction score
National postpartum illness screening effort stalls

Three years after New Jersey became the first state to mandate postpartum-depression screening, a similar federal effort is foundering amid criticism from two unlikely sources: the Church of Scientology and a Republican senator nicknamed "Dr. No."

I like the idea of the bill. They aren't encouraging medications to help w/PPD. They just want it diagnosed before anything bad happens. I think they will find it's more prevalent than anyone ever thought!

ITA Taximom. If it saved just one life, it seems like it would be worth it.

This is such a no brainer-what is the big deal and if we have now become a country that will allow practical legislation to be derailed by, no disrespect intended, two significant minority opinions, then we are truly in trouble.

Years ago I spoke with Dr. Klaiber who wrote the book Hormones and the Mind, and he was advocating for this type of testing just adding it onto basic hospital care when you deliver. They can tell with remarkable accuracy who is likely to suffer post-partum simply by measuring hormone levels in the blood within 48 hours or so following delivery.

This is one of the many reasons every woman who can, should use a midwife!
A good midwife like mine screen for PPD.

I like the idea of this bill too. My OB will probably screen me after this baby gets here, it's still early on so we haven't really discussed it, but I went through it after DD was born and no way do I want that again. Sheesh, they screen for heaven knows what when you *get* (are) pregnant, might as well add one little more test after the baby is born. If *this* illness is detected, the babies of those moms could be in as much danger as the unborn babies of a mother with pre-eclampsia etc.. It is probably 'doomed' because it is a 'mental' illness, not physical. :rolleyes:

The Church of Scientology should mind its own business and not everyone else's.

The Church of Scientology should mind its own business and not everyone else's.

While I agree with people minding their own business, the same could be said for the government getting involved with what could be considered a personal medical decision.

PostPartum depression is a very real disease and a disease that can debilitate a mother. Screening for this illness would be a Godsend to many women.

I don't give a goat's arse about what the Church of Scientology thinks. THEY don't control the bodies of 99% of women in the US.

I wish this had been done with both of my kids. I feel like I was robbed of the actual *joy* of motherhood during my illness. =(

While I agree with people minding their own business, the same could be said for the government getting involved with what could be considered a personal medical decision.

I sort of see what you are saying, but from what I understand about this, it's merely a diagnosis.

My own doctor followed up with me when he detected a problem at a baby visit. I, of course, blew him off. :rolleyes:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back