Identified! OH - Troy, Miami Co., 'Buckskin Girl' WhtFem 133UFOH, 15-25, Apr'81 - Marcia King

Status
Not open for further replies.
The clothes on Jane Doe seem sort of dated for 1981. It could have been all she could find though.Does anyone know how long she had been dead?

Unidentified White Female
Located on April 24, 1981 in Miami County, Ohio
Cause of death was strangulation, she also had suffered blows to the head and neck.
Estimated Date of Death: April 23, 1981

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: Late teens to mid-20s
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'4"-5'6"; 130 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown eyes; reddish-brown hair plaited into thick pigtails. Her complexion was freckled and ruddy. She was in remarkably good physical condition, with excellent personal hygiene. Her ears were not pierced. Scar on chin.
Dentals: Available. Her teeth were in good condition and she still had all four of her wisdom teeth.
Clothing: She was wearing a brown and orange turtleneck sweater, a size 32 D bra, Wrangler brand jeans and a distinctive handmade suede jacket with a purple satin lining. No shoes.
DNA: Available.

Case History

This young woman's, nicknamed The Buckskin Girl, body was found on Greenlee Road near State Route 55 in rural Miami County, Ohio in April of 1981. A coroner's report revealed that she died of strangulation. She also had suffered blows to the head and neck.

Evidence indicates that the body was transported to the scene from another location. Investigators believe she may have been a runaway or just a wanderer, hitching rides from one state to the next, although it did not appear that she had been on the road very long. She was not sexually assaulted.

Artist's conception drawings of the victim and photos of the victim's clothing appear in the link below.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Detective Steve Lord
937-440-3965 ext. 6633

Agency Case Number: 8104240101

NCIC Number: U-990001965

Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

Miami County Jane Doe
Unsolved Mysteries
Dayton Daily News 8/6/07
The Doe Network: Case File 133UFOH

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/133ufoh.html

How tall is ..."tall for her age"??

There is a 8 year time-gab - and if she was abducted - did he keep her for all those years?

Yeah- I saw the time gap. But I figured it was a possibility. Stranger things have happened!!

According to the CDC the average height for a 13 year old girl is 60 - 63 inches or 5' to 5'3". At 5'4" doe is short for an adult. I think it's unlikely she would have stopped growing, but you never know. You should submit it.

Richard,

I've been seeing if I could find a match to this Jane Doe. What do you think of this girl?

I know that the Jane Doe is from Ohio and this girl is from CA, but it's worth a shot.

What does everyone else think?

Thanks

Chaddylex

The Doe Network:
Case File 747DFCA

Rains, circa 1980

Theresa Louise Rains
Missing since May 23, 1980 from Oakland, Alameda County, California.
Classification: Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: April 13, 1949
Age at Time of Disappearance: 31 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'6"; 115 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; blue eyes.
Marks: She has freckles.
Clothing: Blue jeans, rust colored coat, lace up boots.
Dentals: Not available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
Rains was last seen in Oakland, California on May 23, 1980.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Oakland Police Department
510-238-3352

Agency Case Number:
80-43773

NCIC Number: M-064685458
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
California Department of Justice

Return to the Unexplained Disappearances' Index

Richard,

I've been seeing if I could find a match to this Jane Doe. What do you think of this girl?

I know that the Jane Doe is from Ohio and this girl is from CA, but it's worth a shot.

What does everyone else think?

Thanks

Chaddylex

The Doe Network:
Case File 747DFCA

Rains, circa 1980

Theresa Louise Rains
Missing since May 23, 1980 from Oakland, Alameda County, California.
Classification: Missing

Here is a link to Doenet's file on Theresa Rains:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/747dfca.html

It certainly is a possibility for a match. Age 31 is not that far off from the estimate, they have similar descriptions and photos as well.

The distance in time (11 months) and geography (California to Ohio) might tend to argue against a match, but it could also be the reason that no connetction has been made between the two cases.

More information needs to be available on Theresa and her possible connections to the Southern Ohio area.

The following is the March 17, 2001 article by Martha Hardcastle for the Dayton Daily News.

--------------------------------
Officials work on Jane Doe case

Twenty years ago next month, the body of a pigtailed young woman was found on a rural Miami County Road.

Sheriff's deputies there are reexamining the case using today's improved communication tools and technology with hopes of at least identifying the woman, if not her killer too.

On April 24, 1981 a man moving into a residence on Greenlee Road in Newton Twp. saw what appeared to be some clothing on the side of the road. He slowed down and saw the body in the ditch.

The woman was about 5'6" and 130 pounds. She appeared to be in her late teens to mid-20s and her reddish-brown hair was plaited into thick pigtails. Her complexion was freckled and ruddy and she was wearing a brown and orange turtleneck sweater, a size 32 D bra, Wrangler brand jeans and a very distinctive handmade suede jacket with a purple satin lining.

A coroner's report revealed that she died of strangulation. She also had suffered blows to the head. And despite a great deal of media exposure, no one came forward to identify the body.

Miami County's Jane Doe was buried in a Potter's field at Troy's Riverside Cemetery. The case was never closed, although unknown to the MCSO, the case was accidentally dropped from the National Crime Information Center's database for about six years. The case was placed back in NCIC late last year.

Todd Matthews of Livingston Tenn., is an amateur sleuth who solved a 30-year-old unidentified case in Scott County Ky. known as the "Tent Girl" Matthews worked on the case for 10 years before finally finding the identity of Barbara Hackmann Taylor using the Internet in 1998. Matthews, who has aided other police departments including Piqua, has created a website to aid Miami County deputies with their Jane Doe at

http://www.miamicountydoe.mainpage.net/

In the early 1990s, the Sheriff's office participated in a task force trying to solve the serial killings of suspected prostitutes near or on Ohio interstate highways. The area's other long term Jane Doe, a woman found strangled on I-70 at the Hoke Road eastbound onramp in Englewood in 1987 was also part of that task force.

Det. Tom Wheeler has been assigned to the case, and he believes that maybe today he will be able to identify the woman.

"Without knowing who she is, we don't have a chance to find out who killed her," he said. He has also sent information to America's Most Wanted

and Unsolved Mysteries in hope that they will feature the case. He also isn't convinced that she was necessarily a prostitute. The woman was in remarkably good physical condition.

"Her teeth were in excellent condition and she had a plate," Wheeler said. "She was a very well-kept person."
LINK:

http://www.geocities.com/miamicountydoe/JaneDoe.html

Should I contact the Doe Network on the possible match? Maybe if this is a match she could of ended up in Ohio by Hitchhiking or being kidnapped. Who knows? Just my thoughts......

Chaddylex

Chaddylex-
I think you should check with doenetwork if this has been ruled out. I see similarities. The type of clothes, hair, complexion, and they both have round cheeks/round face. Sometimes when a missing person doesn't have much info about them (such as Teresa's doe page), I wonder if it is because the may have been a run-away so there aren't many details. It would be interesting to find more info on Teresa's disappearance.

I just contacted (by email) Rocky Wells of the Doe Network on the potential match. I figured it couldn't hurt??? I tried to email the Oakland California Police Dept (Oakland is where Theresa Rains was missing from) and it was I guess an old email address, because it came back to me undeliverable. Hopefully I get a response soon and I will let you all know!! Thanks everyone!!

Chaddylex

Have you heard anything about Theresa Rains, Chaddylex? She looks very young for 30 so that might explain the age difference. The eyes don't match (Buckskin Girl's were brown and Theresa's were blue) but Theresa's description is so sparse her eye color might have been a guess by whoever reported her missing.

I can't find any missing person who looks much like Buckskin Girl. In her post-mortem photo her freckles are very noticeable and I can't imagine anyone NOT mentioning them when describing her.

**WARNING: POST-MORTEM PHOTO AT THIS LINK**
http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/gallery/ncmaprofile_all.php?A200300439S

She was wearing a fringed leather jacket, bell bottoms and pigtails (her hair looks like it would have been rather long when unbraided) and that "free spirit" look seems like it would have been a bit unusual for 1981. Can anyone confirm whether these clothes would have stood out? It's amazing that nobody remembered seeing her especially wearing that jacket.

Also, what did Det. Wheeler mean when he said "she had a plate?" She had dentures of some sort? None of her descriptions mention dentures.

The circumstances don't match, but I think I see some resemblance between the Buckskin Girl and Sharon Pretorius:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2051dfoh.html

and

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59731

Sharon was 13 when she went missing in September 1973 and frequently wore her brown hair in braided pigtails. She would have been about 21 when the Buckskin Girl was found. No height is given but she was described as tall for her age.

The Buckskin Girl was thought to be 18-25 when she was found in April 1981 and had braided brown/reddish hair pigtails. She was 5'6" which would have been somewhat tall if she'd reached that height by 13.

IMO their noses and hairlines look similar. BG's freckles are quite noticeable but Sharon's picture is a little too blurry to tell if she has any. Could they have darkened or increased in number if she'd been outside a lot since her disappearance? Their chins do look different (Sharon's looks longer) but BG's head seems to be tilted forward and resting on a pillow or towel in her autopsy photo and that may have made her chin appear shorter. (Try looking in a mirror...I noticed a big difference.)

Dayton is 22 miles from Troy, Ohio where BG was found.

Tatertot; Did you submit Sharon Pretorius as a possible? One would think that with all the media exposure on BG, her family would've been asked to possibly look at photos or sketches.. :waitasec: Still, you never know!! I know Sharons family had a memorial service for her in 2006, but, I don't believe they have completely given up on finding her....Here's a side by side of Pretorius and BG below....
Is there a thread for BG on the Unidentified?

The circumstances don't match, but I think I see some resemblance between the Buckskin Girl and Sharon Pretorius:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2051dfoh.html

and

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59731

Sharon was 13 when she went missing in September 1973 and frequently wore her brown hair in braided pigtails. She would have been about 21 when the Buckskin Girl was found. No height is given but she was described as tall for her age.

The Buckskin Girl was thought to be 18-25 when she was found in April 1981 and had braided brown/reddish hair pigtails. She was 5'6" which would have been somewhat tall if she'd reached that height by 13.

IMO their noses and hairlines look similar. BG's freckles are quite noticeable but Sharon's picture is a little too blurry to tell if she has any. Could they have darkened or increased in number if she'd been outside a lot since her disappearance? Their chins do look different (Sharon's looks longer) but BG's head seems to be tilted forward and resting on a pillow or towel in her autopsy photo and that may have made her chin appear shorter. (Try looking in a mirror...I noticed a big difference.)

Dayton is 22 miles from Troy, Ohio where BG was found.

Attachments

• SLPretorius and Buckskin Jane.jpg
    SLPretorius and Buckskin Jane.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 990
There are some variances in those sketches.

She looks similarly to parts of the sketches. It definitely is an interesting connection. Do you know if they have been compared before? Both have DNA available. And Sharon has dental records. No mention on the UID. Did Sharon have freckles and a ruddy complexion? That could have also come with sun exposure (I am fair and freckle with exposed to a lot of sun).

The time line is interesting because it appears the UID was found after a day. And Sharon went missing 8 years before. That it's far fetched to assume she was a runaway, abducted or something else between then. The age makes sense. Sharon was 13, and the UID is thought to be late teens to early 20s. That fits. So does height and weight. Eye colors are off but that's not, but that's not enough to exclude her.

One thing that stood out was the UID was said to have excellent hygiene and be in excellent physical condition. Yet she was thought to be a runaway or a transient. The two usually do not go hand in hand. It said they thought she had been on the road for long. But I wonder what lead them to this conclusion?

Hey - I saw the new thread and came over here. Can anyone report if they have compared Sharon Pretorius?

I personally don't think that it's her, based on time. But it would be good to know if they name has been submitted. And I can see some similarities in the side by side, especially with the shape of the nose.

I would like to know more details of the autopsy. Had the UID had a child? Can we see dental charts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni