FDA Nipple Cream Alert

golfmom

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I spotted this story and thought ... oh, a good one for the bizarre forum, but after reading, it's not funny.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/newssun/news/969140,WA25_nipplecream_s1.article

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Food and Drug Administration on Friday warned women not to use or purchase Mommy's Bliss Nipple Cream, marketed by MOM Enterprises Inc. of San Rafael, Calif.

The cream, promoted to nursing mothers to help soothe dry or cracked nipples, contains ingredients that may cause respiratory distress, vomiting and diarrhea in infants, the agency said.
"FDA is particularly concerned that nursing infants are being unwittingly exposed by their mothers to this product with dangerous side effects," said Janet Woodcock, director of the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. "Additionally, these two ingredients may interact with one another to further compound and increase the risk of respiratory depression in nursing infants."

I spotted this story and thought ... oh, a good one for the bizarre forum, but after reading, it's not funny.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/newssun/news/969140,WA25_nipplecream_s1.article

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Food and Drug Administration on Friday warned women not to use or purchase Mommy's Bliss Nipple Cream, marketed by MOM Enterprises Inc. of San Rafael, Calif.

The cream, promoted to nursing mothers to help soothe dry or cracked nipples, contains ingredients that may cause respiratory distress, vomiting and diarrhea in infants, the agency said.
"FDA is particularly concerned that nursing infants are being unwittingly exposed by their mothers to this product with dangerous side effects," said Janet Woodcock, director of the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. "Additionally, these two ingredients may interact with one another to further compound and increase the risk of respiratory depression in nursing infants."

OMG! :eek:

i would have expected stuff like this to have had a thorough testing before being made available! :furious:

I googled the cream to see what the ingredients were in it. Here is the ingredients list:

Water, Capric/Caprylic Triglycerides, Cetearyl Olivate, Sorbitan Olivate, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycine, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Olea Europaea Seed Oil (Olive), Dimethicone, Squalane, Hydrolyzed Algin, Chlorella Vulgaris Extract (Algae), Borago Officinalis Oil (Borage), Oenithera Biennis Seed Oil (Evening Primrose), Triticum Vulgare Seed Oil (Wheat Germ), Persea Gratissima Butter (Avocado), Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Opunitia Ficus Indica Extract, Lecithin, Retinyl Palmitate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Allantoin, Beeswax, Glycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenisen, Sorbic Acid

It seems like there's a lot of iffy stuff in there that I wouldn't chance getting into a newborn's mouth. I was always told to use medical grade lanolin and nothing else. La Leche League recommends the Lansinoh brand. Supposedly even those with lanolin allergies can use it. I don't have lanolin allergies so I don't know if that's true. I just used a generic brand of medical grade lanolin and didn't have any problems with it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708
Back