2 year old boy dies after a hundred feet or more from the Skyline-Cliff Loop tra

How tragic! I can't imagine a 2 YO not holding a parents hand in this kind of situation.

Why would anyone take a small child near these cliffs? Poor thing.

I've been there many times and am sad to hear about the child's death. There are a lot of dangerous areas on that trail. A child should never be unattended...not even for a second.

i have to say this had to have been preventable!!! my little one is turning 2 next month... breaks my heart.

When my kids were this age, we used a leash. This is one situation where using one would have saved a child's life. I feel bad for the parents. It only takes seconds for a child to wander off.

Chimney Rock and surrounding trails terrify me. There is no way on God's green earth that I'd take a child up there. Nuh-uh, no way.

Oh this is so tragic!

When I was about 3 or 4 we (my mom and step dad) where on those trails.We came to a part that had a bit of water on it (I don't remember if there was a water fall nearby that splashed water on the trail or what) and me loving water I was stomping around in the water.Well I slipped and I went under the fence.My stepdad saved me by grabbing my hair and pulling me back up.

I remember crying and fussing that "he pulled my hair and it hurt!" Just had a couple of scratches and a sore head.It scared the crap out of them and we never hiked up there again.

For those who do not know part of "The Last of the Mohicans" were filmed at Chimney Rock.

What this chap says:

The park describes the Skyline-Cliff Trail as having “sheer cliffs and breathtaking views," offering a moderately strenuous hike of one and one-half to two hours across cliffs and ledges.

McGinnis said he believes the accident was preventable, saying small children should not be allowed on those trails.

“I just kind of shake my head every time I see them up there and you just hope the parents are holding onto them 100 percent of the time,” he said.

I find myself shaking my head too. :(

Children that small should only go up there in a backpack. It is beautiful but very hazardous trail. Some parents have no common sense, and now, sadly, they are paying for their mistake.

Chimney Rock should not be responsible for this child's tragic death. We've been there hiking w/ our then 9 yr old dd. The map explains each trail and the level of difficulty. The parents we saw on the strenuous trails had their little ones in backpacks. There is no way I would have a small child on the more advanced trails. There are times, it would be very hard to hold the child's hand. There are plenty of warning signs and these parents should have turned back.

Edited to add these pictures I took off the Skyline-Cliff Loop trail.

trail.jpg

trail2.jpg

You can see how dangerous this is for children. Even tho there are signs, many get close for pictures.

chimneyrock.jpg

If you were to fall . . . .

cr2.jpg

Aw man, I'm dizzy just looking at your pictures, kahskye.

Poor little guy... I get shivers jsut thinking about being somewhere like that with my almost 2 year old....
My heart just breaks for them !!

This sort of reminds me of those people swimming in the waterfall at the edge of the cliff. It's okay to take risks with your own safety, if you are comfortable with that, but parents should err on the side of caution where their kids are involved.

The thought of this makes me physically ill.

I don't even let my son walk near the railings in the mall when we're not on ground floor. I actually start to see stars if he goes close.

We have been there many, many times and I have always been uncomfortable with my kids being anywhere near some of those trails with the steep drop offs. We also go to Fall Creek Falls in TN which is very close to our home and I won't even let my 18 year old go out on some of those points. It give me nightmares just thinking about it...

A 2 year old I would not let out of my arms up there!

Shannon

I pass no judgment on these parents. That said, I wouldn't even take my 5 and 7 year old sons up there. I would be a nervous wreck and completely unable to enjoy any of the trip. Precipitous cliffs and anyone under the age of 21 hold NO allure for me, but still the Grand Canyon is a family destination!

My heart goes out to these parents, a day of family fun that turned out to be a parents worst nightmare. He broke free of mother's hand, I can't imagine what must have went through her mind as she realized what was happening in those last moments. :(

My heart goes out to these parents, a day of family fun that turned out to be a parents worst nightmare. He broke free of mother's hand, I can't imagine what must have went through her mind as she realized what was happening in those last moments. :(

True horror!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10