Dunkin' Donuts yanks Rachel Ray Ad

Paladin

Former Member
Reaction score
Does Dunkin’ Donuts really think its customers could mistake Rachael Ray for a terrorist sympathizer? The Canton-based company has abruptly canceled an ad in which the domestic diva wears a scarf that looks like a keffiyeh, a traditional headdress worn by Arab men.

picture:
1211929942_3205.jpg

more: http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/...nks_rachael_ray_ad/?p1=Well_MostPop_Emailed1/

You guys know I hate Rachel Ray, but this is the most absurd thing I've ever heard.

I was just poppin' over here to post this story.

This is sooooooooooooo stupid it hurts.

Just for once I'd like to see a celebrity get up and say "IT'S A *advertiser censored****G SCARF. GET OVER IT!!!"

bag180907_468x679.jpg

It's just a symbol, right?

Here's a quick google for more "symbols"

header_p1-uc.jpg

Symbols have no meaning other than what we give them. Some have more "meaning" than others.

Symbols have no meaning other than what we give them. Some have more "meaning" than others.

Ironically, the swastika has been created and used by various cultures around the world for thousands of years, including Native American tribes. Extremely ironically, it was considered a good luck symbol, like a four-leaf clover.

Now of course...

In this case however, symbolism does not apply. The scarf in question is not intended to resemble a head-rag*. It is a fringed scarf with a paisly pattern. That's it. Nothing more. Additionally, it is being worn as a scarf and not wrapped around her head.

A good analogy would be busting a college fraternity for having a toga party and charging them with racial crimes because they look like the KKK.
Does a toga look like a KKK uniform? No, but it is white, made of a sheet and covers the body.

That's the level of stupidity we're getting here.

*Not to offend anyone, but I have little respect for the arab culture and arab men in particular. When they start showing some respect for their women, then maybe I'll think about it.

To some maybe. Not to the victims of Fatah, Hamas and the Palestinians in general.

Now, on to "Che" fashionistas!

Come to think of it...I was wronged by a woman a few years ago. She was wearing a shirt and a bra.

We better ban shirts and bras on women (the hot ones at least)!

Ironically, the swastika has been created and used by various cultures around the world for thousands of years, including Native American tribes. Extremely ironically, it was considered a good luck symbol, like a four-leaf clover.

Now of course...

The iron cross anyone? Yes, I know. However, much like the Confederate flag, symbols take on new meanings over time.

In this case however, symbolism does not apply. The scarf in question is not intended to resemble a head-rag*. It is a fringed scarf with a paisly pattern. That's it. Nothing more. Additionally, it is being worn as a scarf and not wrapped around her head.

It's ignorance. Like the swastika that is nothing more than a design on a hand bag, it has no place in polite society, no matter the intention.

In addition:
The keffiyeh grew into a symbol of Palestinian nationalism in the 1960s and eventually became a trademark of late Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat. He wore his black and white scarf in a distinctive arrangement, draping it over his right shoulder in a triangular shape that mimicked the outlines of Palestine.

Unless you want to be dragged into a discourse on International relations and the current state of affairs, I'd advise anyone on wearing a traditional "look what my ma knitted me" type of neck warmer on the street.

A good analogy would be busting a college fraternity for having a toga party and charging them with racial crimes because they look like the KKK.
Does a toga look like a KKK uniform? No, but it is white, made of a sheet and covers the body.

That's the level of stupidity we're getting here.

Your analogy is poor. But, I do find some truth in your last statement. :rolleyes:

The iron cross anyone? Yes, I know. However, much like the Confederate flag, symbols take on new meanings over time.

I

It's ignorance. Like the swastika that is nothing more than a design on a hand bag, it has no place in polite society, no matter the intention.

In addition:
The keffiyeh grew into a symbol of Palestinian nationalism in the 1960s and eventually became a trademark of late Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat. He wore his black and white scarf in a distinctive arrangement, draping it over his right shoulder in a triangular shape that mimicked the outlines of Palestine.

Unless you want to be dragged into a discourse on International relations and the current state of affairs, I'd advise anyone on wearing a traditional "look what my ma knitted me" type of neck warmer on the street.

Your analogy is poor. But, I do find some truth in your last statement. :rolleyes:

Wow, you're not rude at all. Really...you're not. :rolleyes:

I completely agree. The whole thing is ridiculous. It's a women's scarf for heaven's sake!! It's a fashion accessory, not a jihadist statement.:banghead:

Come to think of it...I was wronged by a woman a few years ago. She was wearing a shirt and a bra.

We better ban shirts and bras on women (the hot ones at least)!

You should form a committee and start a study STAT!

(you could probably get federal money) :)

I completely agree. The whole thing is ridiculous. It's a women's scarf for heaven's sake!! It's a fashion accessory, not a jihadist statement.:banghead:

It's like the Che shirts, seriously, or that idiot Cameron Diaz taking a purse with the Mao symbol to Peru. People who don't know what they're supporting, and don't know history, should stick to Garanimals.

The Confederate flag started out as a symbol of slavery and the south. By default it had racial overtones. It's evoloution into a symbol of racism and oppression is not nearly as dramatic as that of the swastika. The swastika started out as a symbol of good luck and hope and evolved into a symbol of hatred and evil.

It's oversensitivity. The swastika purse, I'll give you. That is definitely wrong. But everytime someone sees a vague image they start yelling.

http://www.snopes.com/business/hidden/vans.asp

There was a similarly stupid flap a while back about the patterns on a shoe popular among skateboarders. It's not rational to see anti-semitism, racism, or whatever other sin you want, lurking around every corner.

In addition:

I know what it is. I just refuse to respect that culture. It is extremely misogynistic, anti-Semitic, socially repressive and tyrannical in regards to human rights.

I'd advise anyone pestering me on the street to brace up for a lecture themselves. One on jumping to conclusions and minding their own business.

I disagree:
arafat.jpg

How does this resemble the scarf at the top of the thread? There is more similarity between a toga and klan gear.
http://www.mukto-mona.com/Recent_Debate/arafat.jpg

The Confederate flag started out as a symbol of slavery and the south. By default it had racial overtones. It's evoloution into a symbol of racism and oppression is not nearly as dramatic as that of the swastika. The swastika started out as a symbol of good luck and hope and evolved into a symbol of hatred and evil.

No, that's not how the Confederate flag started out. It only came to remind everyone of racism later. (there is nothing inherently racist in the flag, it's what it represents, see my point?)

"At the Battle of Bull Run, there were a number of Confederate regiments that used the Confederate national flag as their battle flag. While having a National flag that looks similar to the old United States flag might have been comforting to the people of the newly formed Confederacy, it turned out to be a bad idea in battle. In battle, the purpose of a flag is to help identify who is who. Who is on your side, and who is on the other side. From this perspective, having two sides fight under flags that are similar in appearance is a very bad idea. It actually did cause some degree of confusion at the Battle of Bull Run."

Thus, the Confederate battle flag was created. (which is what people normally refer to as, THE Confederate flag.

I know the how the swastika came about, and though it started out as a harmless symbol of hope, it was bastardized and unfortunately comes to represent mass murder, now.

It's oversensitivity. The swastika purse, I'll give you. That is definitely wrong. But everytime someone sees a vague image they start yelling.

http://www.snopes.com/business/hidden/vans.asp

I don't agree that it's oversensitivity. Even when done in innocent pursuit of being fashionable, it has a bad connotation to those of us who aren't ignorant, and needs to be pointed out.

For some, it's not innocent and they know what it stands for. (Check out any of the protests documented here)

I don't care what the microscopic pattern was on her scarf, whoever put that on her for the shoot, needs to be educated.

I don't know anything about the tennis shoe flap.

The black-checked fringe scarf is the symbol of Fatah.

"'It's the national symbol. It must keep going and it must be produced locally,' said Mr Hirbawi, who wears such a scarf over his traditional jalabiyeh robe. 'It must be protected.'"

"Once used largely to denote different tribes, today its various colours and designs carry political connotations - black and white is associated with Mr Arafat's Fatah, while a red and white version is linked to the Islamist organisation Hamas."

~ The Telegraph

Karole, I was going to type that up about the Confederate flag as well.

The civil war started off as a political dispute over federalism and state rights. Slavery was eventually used as a hot button topic, however, there were even northern states that supported the idea of centralized federal government, but wanted the issue of slavery left off the table. Since state versus federal rights was a hotly debated issue, the issue of slavery was used as part of a political campaign to further the issue, since many were willing to overlook their obvious distaste of a federal government stronger than a state's rights in order to abolish slavery. Obviously, it worked.

It just looks stupid anyway. Fashion police needed!!!

Karole, I was going to type that up about the Confederate flag as well.

The civil war started off as a political dispute over federalism and state rights. Slavery was eventually used as a hot button topic, however, there were even northern states that supported the idea of centralized federal government, but wanted the issue of slavery left off the table. Since state versus federal rights was a hotly debated issue, the issue of slavery was used as part of a political campaign to further the issue, since many were willing to overlook their obvious distaste of a federal government stronger than a state's rights in order to abolish slavery. Obviously, it worked.

AMEN and AMEN! Even Lincoln commented:

Lincoln, oddly enough, apparently shared some of these views. In his 1860 inaugural address, he said: "I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the states where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so." Two years later, President Lincoln wrote: "My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union (Letter to Horace Greeley, August 22, 1862)." And in 1858 Lincoln had written: "I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races. I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people. There is a physical difference between the white and black races, which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality."

Click (Cato warning)

The South's fight was predominantly financially driven.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back