Woman falls through trail into hot water at Yellowstone

Well, it is a wilderness, not Disney, after all. And one with geothermal issues!

But ouch, that had to hurt!

I often worried about what might happen to people who fell or slipped at Yellowstone. I reached down (like a dope) and touched the water running under the bridge at Hot Creek in Yellowstone, burned the carp out of my fingers!! It was just below boiling, but I didn't realize it because it was far from the hot spring. i thought it would have cooled downa nd been just like a hot tub. That poor lady, that must have been so painful.

yeowwwwww. How often is the trail hiked?

From what I remember, it is one of the main trails to hike. There are tons of signs saying to stay on the trail, but this sounds like a total accident. Maybe they will name the newly discovered hot spot after her. :eek:

I often worried about what might happen to people who fell or slipped at Yellowstone. I reached down (like a dope) and touched the water running under the bridge at Hot Creek in Yellowstone, burned the carp out of my fingers!! It was just below boiling, but I didn't realize it because it was far from the hot spring. i thought it would have cooled downa nd been just like a hot tub. That poor lady, that must have been so painful.

Numbskull! :eek:

joking — i could see myself doing the very same thing!

poor woman.

people really need to be aware of the dangers. as Texana says: it ain't Disneyland . . .

From what I remember, it is one of the main trails to hike. There are tons of signs saying to stay on the trail, but this sounds like a total accident. Maybe they will name the newly discovered hot spot after her. :eek:

I could live without such a memorial . . . :(

Now you know why they called it HOT CREEK!

Yikes; that's where we are going for vacation this summer. Perhaps we should stay off the trails?!:eek:

Before anyone goes out in Yellowstone they should read the book "Death in Yellowstone." It used to be available thru Amazon. Yellowstone isn't an ordinary wilderness park.

Yikes; that's where we are going for vacation this summer. Perhaps we should stay off the trails?!:eek:

I went there about 13 years ago, so my memory is a little rusty. Some of the places could be very dangerous for young children. You walk on a trail very close to areas you must stay away from, so for younger children that might pull away to explore, would be dangerous. It is beautiful there, and you should definately go.

Link to some great photography of the Artists' Paintpots area.

http://www./viewArticle.jsp?articleId=281474977115582

Tnx for the fantastic link heavenlydaze. The photos make me want to visit, but I think I might walk a little scared. I pray the woman that fell through the hole will be ok.

I would definitely go. But as stated above, children must be held closely or strapped in a stroller on the trails/boardwalks. It is some of the most beautiful scenery anywhere and the chance to see so much wildlife is just incredible. We saw moose, bison, deer, so many animals. But they are wild, not tame, and they are not in enclosures, so you are in their world, not the other way around. Respect the natural dangers, and you will be fine. This lady had what amounts to a freak accident, one in a million kind of thing.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back