GA GA - Capt. Scott Corwin, 27, Savannah, 29 May 2004

dimples37398

Reaction score
The previous incident left Fort Stewart Army officer Capt. Scott T. Corwin, 27, fatally shot on the corner of Bull and Gordon streets just before 4 a.m. Saturday. His girlfriend was the only witness to the crime but was too distraught to provide police with many details.

http://old.savannahnow.com/stories/060104/2204838.shtml

Also, a number of witnesses have said that no police inquiries have followed the brief statements given the night Scott Corwin was shot.

Reached last week, Markus Tuomi - who was smoking a cigarette at Drayton and Gaston streets when he "heard two gunshots" - said it was the first time he had been asked about the incident in four years.
"Nope," he said, "no one ever asked us anything about it again."

http://gretawire.foxnews.com/2008/06/06/a-west-point-grad-murdered-in-usa/

http://savannahnow.com/node/508904

savannah is a beautiful city, one of my favorite places. i was there for a week last month. my sweetie had to work during the day & i wandered around the old cemetary, parks & historical buildings with my camera & checked out my favorite galleries. local seafood on river street is always a treat. i love seeing the ships passing by our balcony at the hotel. the contrast of old city with spreading live oaks & excitement & creativity of young talent at scad is palpable. i love it.

but, as a georgian i am aware savannah was not long ago tagged with the dubious honor of america's most violent city. poverty, unemployment, gangs, drugs & violence are as much a part of the city as spanish moss hanging from oaks. upscale neighborhoods surrounding the squares & touristy areas are no exception.

random violence is rampant in small town usa too. guns are everywhere. while i am a strong supporter of the second amendment, i fear for our country. good is being overtaken by evil. the tragic loss of capt corwin, an accomplished young man with a promising future is a perfect example. his shooting is likely a gang initiation by a career punk , a highschool dropout with a yard-long rap sheet. how can that happen in america?

what can be done to take back our neighborhoods, cities and country? good citizens take action! if you are not a part of the solution you are part of the problem.

In Oklahoma, we are going back to basics. With the "Make My Day" law and the "Stand Your Ground" law...we are able to protect ourselves inside and outside of our homes now. Before these laws were passed, if you shot someone breaking into your home...you had to make sure he was all the way inside! Now with a licensed concealed weapon, you are legally able to protect yourself, your family, and property by deadly force.

I haven't noticed a real trend in the downturn of gang violence, but I have noted several of them ending up dead at the end of law abiding citizens' weapons. All I can say is that it is about time we leveled the playing field.

In Oklahoma, we are going back to basics. With the "Make My Day" law and the "Stand Your Ground" law...we are able to protect ourselves inside and outside of our homes now. Before these laws were passed, if you shot someone breaking into your home...you had to make sure he was all the way inside! Now with a licensed concealed weapon, you are legally able to protect yourself, your family, and property by deadly force.

I haven't noticed a real trend in the downturn of gang violence, but I have noted several of them ending up dead at the end of law abiding citizens' weapons. All I can say is that it is about time we leveled the playing field.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Same in Texas - back to basics

Conviction brings healing in 2004 murder of Army captain and Hinsdale South alumnus Scott Corwin
By KIMBERLY FORNEK
PIONEER PRESS |
APR 30, 2018

RH2C45HLDFE2ZLEFJGSUTZSBTY.jpg

Jamie Gronko and her brother, Army Capt. Scott Corwin, who was fatally shot in Savannah, Georgia, in 2004.

A Darien family finally has some closure after their son and brother was murdered nearly 14 years ago.

U.S. Army Capt. Scott Corwin, a West Point graduate and Hinsdale South High School alumnus from the class of 1995, was stationed at Fort Stewart, Georgia in 2004. He had served overseas in Kosovo and was scheduled to be deployed to Iraq.

Corwin and his girlfriend were walking through Monterey Square in Savannah at about 4 a.m. May 29, when a man approached them and fatally shot Corwin.

On April 21, a jury found Deon Monroe Jones, 35, guilty of felony murder and influencing a witness. He was found not guilty of malice, or intentional murder.

Two days later, Chatham County Superior Court Judge James F. Bass Jr. sentenced Jones to life in prison for the murder, with a consecutive 10-year term without parole for influencing the witness, according to court records.

His parents and sisters attended the trial and sentencing in Savannah...

LINK:

Conviction brings healing in 2004 murder of Army captain and Hinsdale South alumnus Scott Corwin

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back