Kids and Water Public Service Info

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
I had never heard of this and I thought it might be helpful for parents and for keeping in mind when we hear news stories.

It is called "dry drowning" where a child can drown up to 24 hours after leaving the water. It has happened after swimming or after baths.

Johnny Jackson, a 10-year-old American boy from South Carolina, died at home on Sunday from "dry drowning" more than an hour after going swimming and walking home with his mother. The sad event highlights a little known danger that parents and child carers should be aware of, that drowning can kill hours after being submersed in water.

Johnny's mother, Cassandra Jackson, told NBC News in a story broadcast on the TODAY show on Thursday that:

"I've never known a child could walk around, talk, speak and their lungs be filled with water."
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/110157.php

There is already another thread about this. I was shocked. I had never heard of this in my life. My granddaughter spent Saturday evening with me and we played in the pool. I was frightened the whole time her face got near the water's surface for fear of her inhaling any water in her lungs.

dean, we had the kids out too in the pool and that's all I kept thinking about - that other thread/case here about this. :(

Thanks for the article, mysteriew. I don't want to be worried about everything, but I will definitely be watching them more carefully after they go swimming.

LOL, you all are too good. I didn't think something like this would get posted, but I should have known!

mysteriew, better safe than sorry! Up until last week or so when the other article posted, I had never heard of this. A lot of people here thought there would be lots of coughing and that would be a big sign. Nope, not with this.

I think a few people that surf or live by the ocean knew of this. I'm thankful but sorry for those poor families that never had a clue. I'm going to send this around to my friends and family though. I doubt they've heard of it.

:blowkiss:

My room mate in college married a guy who was terrified of this happening to him--seriously paranoid! He told everyone about it. When I read the story in the news, I thought, "somewhere, Joe is going absolutely crazy."

Since it's been in the high 90's here, we've been living in the pool and let me tell you, I have been watching if they inhale any water too. I'm not hovering since my girls are 81/2 and 1, but if I hear someone coughing etc, I'm right there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back