GUILTY NV - Jason Rimer, 4, disabled, dies in hot car, Las Vegas, 8 June 2008

Lucy's mom

Reaction score
How do you forget your kid for 17 hours? :mad:

http://www.fox5vegas.com/news/16559127/detail.html

LAS VEGAS -- A toddler who was found dead inside a car Monday had been left in the vehicle for 17 hours, police said.

Officers got the call at around 8:30 a.m. Monday after one of the child's older siblings discovered his unresponsive body in the vehicle, police said.

Once at the home in the 4900 block of East Cleveland Avenue, officers determined that Jason Rimer, 4, was dead in his parent's SUV.

Jason was left in the car after a family outing, detectives said. Family members said that they forgot Jason was in the car.

:furious: Four years old?!? And overnight? Didn't the parents wonder where he was when they put everyone to bed that night? I'm usually sympathetic to these sorts of cases, but come on! This isn't a baby, it's a four year old!!:mad:

How do you forget your kid for 17 hours? :mad:

http://www.fox5vegas.com/news/16559127/detail.html

LAS VEGAS -- A toddler who was found dead inside a car Monday had been left in the vehicle for 17 hours, police said.

Officers got the call at around 8:30 a.m. Monday after one of the child's older siblings discovered his unresponsive body in the vehicle, police said.

Once at the home in the 4900 block of East Cleveland Avenue, officers determined that Jason Rimer, 4, was dead in his parent's SUV.

Jason was left in the car after a family outing, detectives said. Family members said that they forgot Jason was in the car.

Yeah, I wonder if alcohol was part of this outing. According to the article, Child Protective Services had visited the home before, but officials did not disclose why. I'd honestly have to know more. Did this family just all go in and crash? How did they not notice they didn't have the 4 yr old once inside?

17 hours????? Where did the parents think the child was all this time? Was there no thought the night before of getting him ready for bed etc? If he was found at 8:30 a.m., that means he was in the car the day before at 4:30 in the afternoon, was there no thought of feeding him supper? :furious:

VB

:furious: Four years old?!? And overnight? Didn't the parents wonder where he was when they put everyone to bed that night? I'm usually sympathetic to these sorts of cases, but come on! This isn't a baby, it's a four year old!!:mad:

My sentiments exactly!

:furious:

17 hours from 8:30 a.m. means they were home by 3:30 p.m. the previous day. WTH?

It's 97* right now there according to that news site. I bet he was dead before evening fell.

I wonder if he fell asleep in the car and they "didn't want to bother him" so they left him there for the nap and then forgot about him after that. :mad: This is unbelievable.

My prayers for this family. For me, there's not enough information to make any judgment other than - what a heartbreaking tragedy!

Both my kids, at 4, could get out of a locked car. I am really interested in hearing more about what happened.

The season is upon us when we see these cases in the news.

And they are off!!!! Im sorry to say this wont be the last case of this we hear this summer. I just dont think that anyone could forget their child for any amount of hours in a vehicle on an accident. And if certain people would stop getting off for these kinds of things then maybe others wouldnt do it too thinking they wont get punished. This really makes me mad.

And they are off!!!! Im sorry to say this wont be the last case of this we hear this summer. I just dont think that anyone could forget their child for any amount of hours in a vehicle on an accident. And if certain people would stop getting off for these kinds of things then maybe others wouldnt do it too thinking they wont get punished. This really makes me mad.

Amanda,

Do you really think people leave their children to die a miserable death in a hot car because they're sure they won't get punished? That just doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm fairly certain the parents in this story didn't look at their watch and go "Well - our youngest son has been locked in that hot car for about 5 hours now, but, hey - precendent shows we won't get charged when they find his dead body, so let's not worry about it until after cocktails and dinner and a movie."

I do agree with you that we will see these stories throughout the summer. Some will be heartbreaking. Of course, parents who knowingly leave a young child in a hot car while they go shopping, to the bar, to the races, to work, bear culpability. Some parents, however, forget - and their punishment is worse than anything our legal system could come up with.

I agree -- I could buy accidentally leaving him in the car, but I can't buy not noticing that he wasn't around the house in the evening and at bedtime.

"The parents say the last time they saw Jason was in the car around 2:30 Sunday afternoon, when they came home from church. Jason's parents and*five older brothers were in and out of the house the rest of the day. Nobody noticed Jason wasn't in the mix.

The parents say they don't have an explanation to why -- only saying it was a horrible mistake. At one point, Jason's mother even left the home to pick up their other son from church. But instead of using the Excursion, she took her husband's truck..."

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=8459997&nav=menu102_2

SO

Parents did not notice he was not present in the house, thats hard to beleive. 4 year olds are usually pretty obvious and hard to miss. I wonder too what the ages of the other kids are....and if any of them noticed he was not in the house.

Once, years ago my sis and my bro in law got home late and were unloading the car, both thought the other had gotten my 3 year old nephew out of the car. about an hour later they were talking and realized neither had got him. He was still sound asleep in the backseat.
I understood how it happended when they explained, considering the odd layout of the house, how they could have been in and out and not noticed that the other didnt remove my nephew from the car. One just assumed the other did. Let me tell you how distraught my sister was over this. Mt nephew was fine, it was a springtime night, not to hot not to cool, he slept through the whole thing, had no memory of being moved out of the car and put to bed.

But 3:30 in the afternoon, what about:
Dinner
Bath
playtime
bedtime
check on kid after bedtime to make sure hes sleeping

something is wrong here

"The parents say the last time they saw Jason was in the car around 2:30 Sunday afternoon, when they came home from church. Jason's parents and*five older brothers were in and out of the house the rest of the day. Nobody noticed Jason wasn't in the mix.

The parents say they don't have an explanation to why -- only saying it was a horrible mistake. At one point, Jason's mother even left the home to pick up their other son from church. But instead of using the Excursion, she took her husband's truck..."

Not noticing that a 7- or 8-year old wasn't "in the mix" would be one thing. But a 4-year-old needs to be actually watched. How could the parents not have given him or his welfare or his whereabouts a second thought for a whole evening and night?

SO

Parents did not notice he was not present in the house, thats hard to beleive. 4 year olds are usually pretty obvious and hard to miss. I wonder too what the ages of the other kids are....and if any of them noticed he was not in the house.

Once, years ago my sis and my bro in law got home late and were unloading the car, both thought the other had gotten my 3 year old nephew out of the car. about an hour later they were talking and realized neither had got him. He was still sound asleep in the backseat.
I understood how it happended when they explained, considering the odd layout of the house, how they could have been in and out and not noticed that the other didnt remove my nephew from the car. One just assumed the other did. Let me tell you how distraught my sister was over this. Mt nephew was fine, it was a springtime night, not to hot not to cool, he slept through the whole thing, had no memory of being moved out of the car and put to bed.

But 3:30 in the afternoon, what about:
Dinner
Bath
playtime
bedtime
check on kid after bedtime to make sure hes sleeping

something is wrong here

Something is very wrong with this picture. How would someone forget a 4 year old through dinner and then bed time?

Clearly, IMO they had more kids than they could keep track of! How can you just not wonder where your 4 YO is all day long? Friggin people are careless or could jus:furious:t care less!

Amanda,

Do you really think people leave their children to die a miserable death in a hot car because they're sure they won't get punished? That just doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm fairly certain the parents in this story didn't look at their watch and go "Well - our youngest son has been locked in that hot car for about 5 hours now, but, hey - precendent shows we won't get charged when they find his dead body, so let's not worry about it until after cocktails and dinner and a movie."

I do agree with you that we will see these stories throughout the summer. Some will be heartbreaking. Of course, parents who knowingly leave a young child in a hot car while they go shopping, to the bar, to the races, to work, bear culpability. Some parents, however, forget - and their punishment is worse than anything our legal system could come up with.

Forget?? They didn't even wonder where the poor kid was for dinner, bed time or anything!! That to me says volumes about their parenting skills.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back