GA - Cindi Cook for signing 16yo girl's abortion papers, Chamblee, 2007

White Rain

Reaction score
DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. -- A Hall County mother has been sentenced to a year in jail after taking desperate measures to keep her son's teenage girlfriend from having his baby.

Officials said Cindi Cook, 44, found the Northside Women's Clinic for a 16-year-old girl. Cook paid for the abortion and signed a parental notification form saying she was the girl's mother.

"This is reprehensible conduct and it will not be tolerated," said DeKalb County Solicitor General Robert James.

James told WSB-TV Channel 2 he had never seen a case like the one involving Cook. "It's terrible when one parent takes another parent's child to have an abortion," said James.

Cook is serving a year in jail for pretending to be the mother of her son's 16-year-old girlfriend and for illegally signing for her to have an abortion. The girl's parents knew nothing about the procedure and are incensed at Cook and the clinic.
more: http://www.wsbtv.com/news/16561805/detail.html

DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. -- A Hall County mother has been sentenced to a year in jail after taking desperate measures to keep her son's teenage girlfriend from having his baby.

Officials said Cindi Cook, 44, found the Northside Women's Clinic for a 16-year-old girl. Cook paid for the abortion and signed a parental notification form saying she was the girl's mother.

"This is reprehensible conduct and it will not be tolerated," said DeKalb County Solicitor General Robert James.

James told WSB-TV Channel 2 he had never seen a case like the one involving Cook. "It's terrible when one parent takes another parent's child to have an abortion," said James.

Cook is serving a year in jail for pretending to be the mother of her son's 16-year-old girlfriend and for illegally signing for her to have an abortion. The girl's parents knew nothing about the procedure and are incensed at Cook and the clinic.
more: http://www.wsbtv.com/news/16561805/detail.html

Very interesting case. Thanks, WR. I lived in Dekalb County for many years. I guess the girl was scared to tell her parents. The story says that Cook (the boyfriend's Mom) pressured the girl to have the abortion - I wonder if that included pressuring her not to tell her parents. I wonder if her parents would have signed for her to have the procedure?

I have a friend who signed for some morning after pills for the best friend of one of her teenaged daughters. The friend had had unprotected sex and did not want her parents to know she was sexually active. My friend got the pills (and some condoms) for her, but told her she wouldn't do it again - it didn't feel right to her. I wonder if that was illegal? I don't know much about minor consent and the morning after pill.

I have a friend who signed for some morning after pills for the best friend of one of her teenaged daughters. The friend had had unprotected sex and did not want her parents to know she was sexually active. My friend got the pills (and some condoms) for her, but told her she wouldn't do it again - it didn't feel right to her. I wonder if that was illegal? I don't know much about minor consent and the morning after pill.
I dont know if that is illegal, I definatly dont think it was her place at all. I am sure if something happened to the girl after taking the morning after pill your friend would have been held liable, you think? I dont know the side effects if any for it, but we are always hearing of reactions to birth control pills, patchs, ect...People are "sue happy" these days anyway.

I would have to say it was illegal if she signed for what is essentially an abortion via medication for a minor that was not her child. The morning after pills do the same thing basically which ends an unwanted pregnancy. I know I would never do that because it is up to the parents and they should always be informed if their teenage daughter is pregnant. As parents, they have a right to know.

What if something went wrong and the girl bled to death or had a reaction?! It is a medical issue.

I went with a couple of teens to tell their parents and while it wasn't pleasant for anyone...the parents ended up being very supportive and loving about the situations. The girls were terrified, but found that opening up to them was the best thing to do.

I dont know if that is illegal, I definatly dont think it was her place at all. I am sure if something happened to the girl after taking the morning after pill your friend would have been held liable, you think? I dont know the side effects if any for it, but we are always hearing of reactions to birth control pills, patchs, ect...People are "sue happy" these days anyway.

Yes - this might have been her thought on the matter. And maybe she didn't want it to get around the highschool that she was the go to mother for the morning after pill. I often wondered what I would have done in her shoes.

Yes - this might have been her thought on the matter. And maybe she didn't want it to get around the highschool that she was the go to mother for the morning after pill. I often wondered what I would have done in her shoes.
I dont know how I would felt if I was her either.

I dont know how I would felt if I was her either.

She was very close with the girl - it's not something she did willy nilly or without thought. If a teenaged girl confided sexual activity to me and did not want her parents to know, I would definitely honor that.

The morning after pill is not particularly dangerous - it's like taking 3 BC pills. (in fact, in college, before there was an official morning after pill - we sometimes used our BS pills for that very purpose). It will simply make you start your period. When I was a rape crisis counselor, we gave them to every rape victim regardless of age. It was SOP.

She was very close with the girl - it's not something she did willy nilly or without thought. If a teenaged girl confided sexual activity to me and did not want her parents to know, I would definitely honor that.

The morning after pill is not particularly dangerous - it's like taking 3 BC pills. (in fact, in college, before there was an official morning after pill - we sometimes used our BS pills for that very purpose. It will simply make you start your period. When I was a rape crisis counselor, we gave them to every rape victim regardless of age. It was SOP.
Really, I learn something new everyday :crazy:

Cindi Cook overstepped her boundaries although I can absolutely imagine that woman's concern. Yet another reason to keep on our son's to use a barrier method of protection.

On an aside my girlfriend's daughter took the morning after pill, but had a tubal pregnancy. It's not effective against that. Extremely dangerous, but then again any tubal pregnancy is. I believe the benefits outwiegh the risks. Some of these girls out there are using it as an everyday contraceptive of sorts though. Barrier method, people.

I have never heard that about BC pills before. They used to have to up mine to five a day to stop my periods. I find it odd it can cause an abortion.

I look at being a teen confidant as guiding them to do the right thing. I would never withold that kind of information from a parent, but would go with them to discuss it. As a parent, I would be horrified if someone thought so little of my child and myself that they would take on that role to hide life changing, important events from me.

The morning after pill is not particularly dangerous - it's like taking 3 BC pills. (in fact, in college, before there was an official morning after pill - we sometimes used our BS pills for that very purpose. It will simply make you start your period. When I was a rape crisis counselor, we gave them to every rape victim regardless of age. It was SOP.

It's far more hormones than 3 birth control pills. And it's usually a couple of doses is my understanding.

Taking birth control pills does not make you start your period does it? Stopping them is what starts it, which is why so many girls don't take the week of non-hormone pills, in effect you're never on your period that way.

Is it the law now in every state that parental consent is needed? I know a few years ago in New Jersey a teenager could elect to have an abortion without consent from a parent.

I would arm a teen with information, bus fair, maybe even transport, hold their hand ...but I would not forge documents claiming to be their parent

I have never heard that about BC pills before. They used to have to up mine to five a day to stop my periods. I find it odd it can cause an abortion.

I look at being a teen confidant as guiding them to do the right thing. I would never withold that kind of information from a parent, but would go with them to discuss it. As a parent, I would be horrified if someone thought so little of my child and myself that they would take on that role to hide life changing, important events from me.

SS, it's not an abortion. Well, not technically unless we get into the Pro Life point of view. Some scientists say it may act after fertilization which of course brings in the whole abortion debate. The hormones act to negate implantation to take place. If I'm describing that corectly. That's why it won't stop a tubal pregnancy when it implants in the tube.

Excellent point about being a confidant to guide, SS. I wouldn't even let a teen in my care get their ears pierced or go anywhere their parents weren't aware of. Ink is out of the question as well. I always would say "Not on my watch. Call your mom and dad and ask, and then hand me the phone".

Cook is in the DeKalb County Jail. She was found guilty of interfering with custody and violating the parental notification law.

I cannot believe this is all she is charged with! Our school nurse cannot even give a freakin' Tylenol without a whole slew of paperwork, but this woman can lie, blackmail, and threaten a child into a life altering decision just to make sure her precious baby boy's life doesn't get off track???:furious:

How about forging medical records? Even maybe kidnapping if she pressured the girl to go with her against the girl's will.

I hope the parents sue her...and the clinic too. What kind of selfish witch would do such a horrific thing??? What if the girl had some sort of medical issue that this woman didn't know about? 16yos are not allowed to consent to surgery for a REASON!!!

Even if you completely disregard the moral issues (which are HUGE), this woman took enormous risks with this child's life to prevent her son from facing the consequences of his behavior. It is the ultimate in helicopter parenting, and it makes me positively ill. I wish she had gotten longer than a year, and she should have to complete a bunch of community service hours with the PATH group to see just what harm she has done.

Is it the law now in every state that parental consent is needed? I know a few years ago in New Jersey a teenager could elect to have an abortion without consent from a parent.

I would arm a teen with information, bus fair, maybe even transport, hold their hand ...but I would not forge documents claiming to be their parent

Here's a link, Linda. Sme States it's absolutely required by bypassed for reasons such as incest, abuse, medical emergency. Things like that. I think it's 42 States you need parental consent though.

http://parentingteens.about.com/od/teenpregfact/a/abortion_laws.htm

Is parental consent now a federal law??????

I still believe many states do not require parental consent for minors.

If I was a teen and dead set on having an abortion...I'd simply find my way to a state that didn't require parental notification.

SS, it's not an abortion. Well, not technically unless we get into the Pro Life point of view. Some scientists say it may act after fertilization which of course brings in the whole abortion debate. The hormones act to negate implantation to take place. If I'm describing that corectly. That's why it won't stop a tubal pregnancy when it implants in the tube.

Excellent point about being a confidant to guide, SS. I wouldn't even let a teen in my care get their ears pierced or go anywhere their parents weren't aware of. Ink is out of the question as well. I always would say "Not on my watch. Call your mom and dad and ask, and then hand me the phone".

You're exactly right - it simply forces you to start your period no matter what is in there.

I'm no medical expert, but I have never seen taking 3 of the strongest BC pills do anything but make a woman start her period - I've got quite a bit of anecdotal evidence which was "confirmed" for me by the medical personnel at the hospital where I volunteered.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back