Taliban attack Afghan prison, help 1100 inmates escape

Liz

I am not a chemist and this is not my 1st rodeo
Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/world/AP-Afghan-Prison-Attack.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Taliban Attack Helps Afghan Inmates Escape

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: June 13, 2008
Filed at 4:33 p.m. ET

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (AP) -- Taliban militants staged a brazen bomb and rocket attack on the main prison in southern Afghanistan late Friday, blowing down the gate and helping hundreds of suspected insurgents flee, officials said. Many police officers were reported killed.

The complex attack included a truck bombing at the main gate, a suicide bomber who struck a back wall and rockets fired from outside, setting of a series of explosions that rattled Kandahar, the country's second biggest city.

A Taliban spokesman, Qari Yousef Ahmadi, said 30 insurgents on motorbikes and two suicide bombers attacked Sarposa Prison and freed about 400 Taliban members.

Abdul Qabir, chief of the Sarposa Prison, also said hundreds of prisoners escaped, but did not provide an exact figure. He said some inmates stayed at the jail, which also held criminals.

More at link above

I could have sworn I'd heard on the news that it was about 1100 inmates that escaped, but now the coverage has switched to Tim Russert.

Just heard it again on FNC. It was 1100 prisoners that escaped, 400 of which were taliban. Great! :rolleyes:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back