OH - Teacher Burns Cross on Child's Arm

southcitymom

Reaction score
Website
www.janicefahy.com
Report: Ohio teacher burned cross on kids' arms

By Associated Press
Published on: 06/20/08
MOUNT VERNON, Ohio — An outside investigation has found that an Ohio public school teacher taught creationism in his science class and used a device to burn the image of a cross on students' arms.

One family filed a federal lawsuit against Mount Vernon Middle School teacher John Freshwater and the school district last week, saying their child was left with a burn mark for three or four weeks.

The report also says Freshwater was insubordinate in failing to remove a Bible and other religious materials from his classroom.

The findings released Thursday by consulting firm H.R. On Call Inc. were to be discussed Friday at a school board meeting.

A message seeking comment was left for Freshwater's attorney, Roger Weaver.

http://www.ajc.com/wednesday/content/news/stories/2008/06/20/teacher_cross_burn.html

See, it's these idiots that turn this situation into what it is. :mad: I'm sorry but he should be facing criminal charges as well.

See, it's these idiots that turn this situation into what it is. :mad: I'm sorry but he should be facing criminal charges as well.

Geez...what the heck! I'd be raising the roof on that school. Teacher's behavior is criminal. This crosses so many lines I can't even beign to mention them all.:furious:

I know, right?! I haven't seen criminal charges mentioned ONCE in any articles about this. Sure, the middle school kid could have said "yeah burn the mark of the cross on my arm" but that has to be illegal for the adult to do it! IMO anyway.

Guys like this make your typical Christian look so bad. :mad:

I'm curious about a couple of things.

Did the students want/consent/allow the cross to be burned in?

Define "burn"?

What sort of device?

Judging from the articles he does sound like an idiot. But it's hard to say for sure without more info.

Sure, the middle school kid could have said "yeah burn the mark of the cross on my arm" but that has to be illegal for the adult to do it!
I don't think it would be. As long as it's not permenant, of course.

Now getting into the religious side, yeah that's crossing the line so to speak. Look at it this way, if the teacher were muslim would you want him burning stuff onto kids' arms?

Guys like this make your typical Christian look so bad. :mad:

You ever notice that the people (like this guy) who are the most rampant, flamboyant and vigorous defenders of a religion are usually the worst examples of it?

I'm curious about a couple of things.

Did the students want/consent/allow the cross to be burned in?

Define "burn"?

What sort of device?

Judging from the articles he does sound like an idiot. But it's hard to say for sure without more info.

These are middle shcool kids, whether the kid consented or not is irrelevant. The adult (I use the term losely)had no right to do that to a child.

Nobody had better burn anything into my child's skin or they can expect the same or worse back. What a nutjob.

Yes, Xcom, I hate the fact that these strong proponents are the worst examples. They aren't all like that, but this type makes the news.

Wouldn't a tattoo shop owner be prosecuted if he tattoed a minor w/o permission from an adult? I sort of look at this the same way.

Nobody had better burn anything into my child's skin or they can expect the same or worse back. What a nutjob.

Yes, bakerprune, I hate the fact that these strong proponents are the worst examples. They aren't all like that, but this type makes the news.

Exactly.

When I was in HS ten years ago, I had a teacher who talked a lot about religion. He even preached a bit occasionally. Back then, I didn't realize how messed up that was. I would have never thought to speak out against it. Now I wish I would have. Even though I'm a Christian, a teacher should not be trying to persuade kids to his religious beliefs, especially when they are too young to understand the larger implications.

Wouldn't a tattoo shop owner be prosecuted if he tattoed a minor w/o permission from an adult? I sort of look at this the same way.

Yeah, but a tattoo is permenant. These were only temporary.

I'd like to hear more about the case. The press is notorious for distorting facts, as we all know. The details in the case are rather vague. A "device"? If the marks were burned what degree of injury? first? second? third?

I want to hear more before I get upset about it.

LOL, please explain to me what a temporary burn is?!

Yes, I would like to know more details too. Let's hope he wasn't using a branding iron!

I agree 100%. I'd probably try to burn their buttcrack closed.

Yes, bakerprune, I hate the fact that these strong proponents are the worst examples. They aren't all like that, but this type makes the news.
That was me actually. :crazy:

Don't get me wrong, this guy did screw up. Bad. Religion should not be taught or promoted in the public schools. But this burn thing is so bizarre that I need more info. A burn that takes weeks to go away is more than a sunburn. That's 2nd or 3rd degree. Are we talking heat burns or chemical burns?

I just don't want to get all worked up and find out it was Henna ink.

Oh come on, get worked up just a little. LOL I know where you'd be if someone did this to your child, temporary or not! :D

At least I didn't respond to myself up there. :doh:

"One of the complaints was that Freshwater used an electrostatic device to burn crosses onto students’ arms."

"There are also allegations that Freshwater has conducted prayers and engaged in a healing session in his capacity as as monitor for a Fellowship of Christian Athletes meeting. According to Short, the FCA is a non-school sponsored religious club and federal law prohibits school employees from actively participating. Middle school principal Bill White has been directed to remove Freshwater as a monitor to the club."

What does "electrostatic device" mean, exactly?

http://www.mountvernonnews.com/local/08/04/22/freshwater_upd.html

I saw that too, bnhall, but even after googling I'm still in the dark. You're the scientist! Think what lab equipment might be in that classroom that would do something like this. Are tasers electrostatic? Lasers, like they use for pointing?

I saw we laser that cross on his forehead!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back