Which FLDS Rumors do you believe

What do you believe about the FLDS? You can choose as many answers as you want to.

• The CPS raid was excessive

Votes: 17 12.7%
  • The CPS raid did more harm than good

Votes: 11 8.2%
  • The CPS raid did more good than harm

Votes: 51 38.1%
  • CPS should continue to monitor the FLDS

Votes: 115 85.8%
  • There is no abuse inside the YFZ ranch

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Abuse is limited to a few isolated cases inside the YFZ ranch

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • The men are the only abusers in the YFZ ranch

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • The women are the only abusers in the YFZ ranch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The men and women are abusers in the YFZ ranch

Votes: 83 61.9%
  • Waterboarding exists

Votes: 41 30.6%
  • Babies are killed, sometimes due to being born with disabilities

Votes: 59 44.0%
  • The children have had excessive broken bones due to abuse

Votes: 47 35.1%
  • Lost boys are kicked out of the the ranch with no where to go

Votes: 115 85.8%
  • women always get to choose who they marry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • women sometimes get to choose who they marry

Votes: 14 10.4%
  • women are assigned to a husband but can say no

Votes: 13 9.7%
  • women are assigned to a husband and have no choice

Votes: 106 79.1%
  • spouses and children can be taken from a husband and reassigned

Votes: 102 76.1%
  • generally speaking, men only have sex with people they are "married" to

Votes: 26 19.4%
  • any girl may be raped at any time

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • the women generally feel free

Votes: 13 9.7%
  • the women generally feel forced into their situations

Votes: 61 45.5%
  • the education system is sufficient

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • the FLDS are using silence to protect known abusers

Votes: 117 87.3%
  • rumored abuse aside, the FLDS lifestyle has many benefits for those that choose that lifestyle

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • The FLDS environment is generally peaceful

Votes: 15 11.2%

• Total voters

RainbowsAndGumdrops

Reaction score
None of us really know what is going on inside the FLDS compound that was raided. Opinions on this case seem to vary widely and I think that it based on which stories you believe. I want to know what stories/rumors you believe.

Good thread idea Rainbow:)
I'm not sure of everything I believe yet but...

I do believe the stories from The Lost Boys.

I do believe that some under age marriages go on.

I do believe for definate that underage sex between older men and young girls goes on.

I do believe the women and kids dont have many choices....

and I do believe all the above is just wrong.

Everything else, I am not sure about yet.

This may be the longest poll ever created, but I tried to hit on many of the topics that seem to frustrate people. I think the results will be very split, but it should be interesting to see.

I think the Poll is a GREAT idea and I just voted on all mine. I am glad you started this thread, it should be very interesting.

I also meant to add to my first post that I do believe that the women and children get re-assigned to other males and that older males sometimes get cast out too just for disagreeing with particular things that go on.

The CPS raid was excessive
The CPS raid did more harm than good
CPS should continue to monitor the FLDS
Lost boys are kicked out of the the ranch with no where to go
women are assigned to a husband and have no choice
spouses and children can be taken from a husband and reassigned
rumored abuse aside, the FLDS lifestyle has many benefits for those that choose that lifestyle

the CPS raid was excessive
The CPS raid did more good than harm
CPS should continue to monitor the FLDS
Abuse is limited to a few isolated cases inside the YFZ ranch
The men and women are abusers in the YFZ ranch
Lost boys are kicked out of the the ranch with no where to go
women sometimes get to choose who they marry
spouses and children can be taken from a husband and reassigned
generally speaking, men only have sex with people they are "married" to
the women generally feel free
the FLDS are using silence to protect known abusers
rumored abuse aside, the FLDS lifestyle has many benefits for those that choose that lifestyle
The FLDS environment is generally peaceful

Oh yeah, I believe older males are sometimes kicked out or punished by having his wife (wives) and kids reassigned.

Some of those I think are pretty established facts - and I'm glad to see that nearly all agree. Lost boys - that's an established fact. Reassigned wives - since the old husband and the new have come forward and talked about it openly - even if he uses the euphimism of "adopting" the new wife as he takes her children in - I think that's also simple fact.

Excessive broken bones was a slight fact - a higher percentage than average - but due to abuse, and the exact percentage is a question still. But I know what I believe on that.

I like this idea, but had a hard time answering. With the exception of the statements that say only woman are abusers at the Ranch and woman always get the chance to choose who they marry, all of those above statements are true. I believe them all.

Great thread! I answered some of the questions, and reserve the right to change my mind. :crazy:

The sad part is, most of the rumors are probably the truth or pretty close to it. They call it a religion, but it is a cult, just like the Branch Davidians was a cult. Jeffs brainwashed his followers, and used his beliefs to rape young girls, it's that simple. NO young girl of 12 should be forced to "marry" an older guy. And I am sure that there were plenty of them who did not go along with it willingly. Some were forced into it.
I hope this evil man is put away for the rest of his life and is never again allowed to use a phone in order to still run his "church."

The sad part is, most of the rumors are probably the truth or pretty close to it. They call it a religion, but it is a cult, just like the Branch Davidians was a cult. Jeffs brainwashed his followers, and used his beliefs to rape young girls, it's that simple. NO young girl of 12 should be forced to "marry" an older guy. And I am sure that there were plenty of them who did not go along with it willingly. Some were forced into it.
I hope this evil man is put away for the rest of his life and is never again allowed to use a phone in order to still run his "church."

Nothing is "that simple."

The truth is almost always somewhere in between the choices given.

Yep!!!!

Nothing is "that simple."

The truth is almost always somewhere in between the choices given.

I disagree. I think it is THAT simple.

Yep!!!!

I disagree. I think it is THAT simple.

I was born and raised here in AZ and as long as it has taken for justice to hopefully be served I can see how someone might want to believe that it is not as horrifying as it is, but it is.

From Carolyn Jessop's Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolyn_Jessop#April_2008_YFZ_Ranch_raid
Jessop arrived on-site Sunday, April 6, in hopes of reuniting two of her daughters with their half-siblings. She stated her opinion that the action in Texas was unlike the 1953 Short Creek raid in Arizona.[15] On April 8 she was interviewed by the NBC Today Show regarding the event, and described life at a FLDS community.[16] Jessop had also been in Texas the prior month at a speaking engagement, where she said, "n Eldorado, the crimes went to a whole new level. They thought they could get away with more" but "Texas is not going to be a state that's as tolerant of these crimes as Arizona and Utah have been."[17]

"The FLDS environment is generally peaceful"- Probably yes, like a prison camp would be. They don't exactly believe in dissent!

The FLDS lifestyle has many benefits for those that choose that lifestyle

I haven't heard of anyone freely 'choosing' this lifestyle. I've never heard of women or children from outside the compound actively trying to join this cult.

From what I know they are brought up in the lifestyle and know no other way to live. It's like if you were born and raised on a desert island and then have someone saying that you 'chose' that life. Even if you lived your life on the island in a small cage, you would be fearful if liberators began arriving on the shore. Of course you would want to remain there because it's the only lifestyle you know. It's human nature to fear the unknown.

I think just about all of the members- except for Jeffs and his ilk- are afflicted with Stockholm Syndrome.

But new people do come in.
I don't know why but I do believe some (even a good many) choose it.

I'll never understand it.

JMOO......get the children out of there!
Last night several former members say this group will fast and make the children fast.
To dangerous!

I think just about all of the members- except for Jeffs and his ilk- are afflicted with Stockholm Syndrome.
Learned helplessness. Possibly. Though, I'm not even certain that would apply. Stockholm Syndrome def does not apply. That is, it applies to people who have been abducted and come to identify with their captor over a fairly short period (i.e., Patty Hearst). These people were not kidnapped, rather, they were born into a generational sect and raised with a different value system than the rest of society. It's what they know. It's all they know.

Learned helplessness. Possibly. Though, I'm not even certain that would apply. Stockholm Syndrome def does not apply. That is, it applies to people who have been abducted and come to identify with their captor over a fairly short period (i.e., Patty Hearst). These people were not kidnapped, rather, they were born into a generational sect and raised with a different value system than the rest of society. It's what they know. It's all they know.

This is definitely child abuse. The women are born for one purpose, to serve men. It is disgusting. Women have no rights! How they can say that a 12-16 year old is a "wife" is beyond me. I read in Carolyn Jessop's book that a child told the CPS that no age is too young to marry, and she said it with absolute certainty. All of this is child abuse, in my opinion. Unbelievable.

But new people do come in.
I don't know why but I do believe some (even a good many) choose it.

I'll never understand it.

from what i have read, they don't just take in people. you have to be born of the group that is there, to keep the bloodline pure (and the inbreeding and all that involves). jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back