Michael Debakey has died

Marthatex

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Sorry, I'll have to come back with a link later maybe someone else can post it.

My husband knew and worked with him in Houston, and boy he was a colorful character, but I'd better not tell any stories. :) He must be very old, and worked pretty much 'till the end.

My grandmother was one of his first patients. Sadly, she did not live much longer after her surgery. Her heart was just too damaged.

May he RIP.

I use Debakey's all the time in surgery...There are several instruments named after him!!! RIP Dr Debakey!

I am sorry to hear he has passed away. I studied mechanical hearts and the earlier surgical procedures that led to their success. He was one of the foremost surgeons at one time and I greatly admired his work. I never had the honor of meeting him but wish I had. My prayers to his family.. he will be missed.

Rest In Peace Doctor.
Thank You for everything.
:blowkiss:

I'm sorry, who is he?

The legendary heart surgeon from Houston. Denton Cooley is another well known one; I think there was a little "competion" and perhaps jealousy going between them at times, from what I remember.

My husband said the residents were "scared to death" of DeBakey; boy you'd better do everything "right" and then some.

I'm amazed that he lived to age 99 as he was such a driving, ambitious type person. I guess he loved what he did. Most surgeons die much younger. I believe Cooley is still alive, but not sure about that.

I feel blessed that I was able to watch both Debakey and also Cooley preform more than one surgery. Its so wonderful to see such an amazing man shown the respect he was due. No,no scratch that he is worth more than we can ever ever imagine. Yes he was a driven man but he understood the weight he had to carry when he became a physician, he never settled for less than perfection and he expected all of those around him to function in the same manner. Its what we all strive for in medicine.

I feel blessed that I was able to watch both Debakey and also Cooley preform more than one surgery. Its so wonderful to see such an amazing man shown the respect he was due. No,no scratch that he is worth more than we can ever ever imagine. Yes he was a driven man but he understood the weight he had to carry when he became a physician, he never settled for less than perfection and he expected all of those around him to function in the same manner. Its what we all strive for in medicine.

That is great. My husband reminded me that he invented the M.A.S.H. unit, and established the VA hospital., and was a true pioneer in so many ways. I had no idea.

My husband saw his work on video in training, but didn't work with him personally only "saw him at a distance" at times while he was a "lowly resident" lol.

I think I do remember seeing Cooley and I knew his daughter in college. Denton Cooley was a very nice looking man.

Dr. Michael E. DeBakey, Rebuilder of Hearts, Dies at 99

Dr. Michael E. DeBakey, whose innovative heart and blood vessel operations made him one of the most influential doctors in the United States, died Friday night in Houston, where he lived. He was 99.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/13/health/12cnd-debakey.html

my goodness.....this man will rest in peace....anyone that, more or less, started heart surgery, is high up on my list....wonder what his "key" to living a long llfe was?....low salt, low saturated fat?..did he eat Big Mac's?...

cool, that your hubby knew him, Martha:)

found it, in the article csds posted

Dr. DeBakey attributed his longevity in part to never having smoked and to genes that helped other members of his family live into their 90s. A relatively short man who looked 20 years younger than his age, he could fit into his Army uniform in his later years despite a lack of regular physical exercise, he said.

RIP Dr. DeBakey. The heart surgery that was performed on my father 30 plus years ago was a procedure learned by a surgeon directly from Dr. DeBakey. It saved his life. I always felt indebted to Dr. D.

one of my cousins, who is now in his 50s, was born with a hole in his heart. at the time, his case was 'hopeless'. dr debakey operated on him, when he was a few weeks old, and saved his life.

he saved many babies, children and adults. amazing man.

rip dear doctor.

RIP Doc

Dr. DeBakey and Dr. Cooley operated on my bio father in '77. He died on the table after having an allergic reaction to the anesthesia.

RIP Doc

Dr. DeBakey and Dr. Cooley operated on my bio father in '77. He died on the table after having an allergic reaction to the anesthesia.
I am so sorry for your loss, Kato. :( Those things do happen unfortunately.

my goodness.....this man will rest in peace....anyone that, more or less, started heart surgery, is high up on my list....wonder what his "key" to living a long llfe was?....low salt, low saturated fat?..did he eat Big Mac's?...

cool, that your hubby knew him, Martha:)

Sounds like he just had great genes in the family. Also that Meditteranean diet is healthy.

Usually surgeons don't have much time to eat at all, and they have really strange hours. All my husband did was complain of the hospital food, and he's so glad he doesn't have to eat it anymore.

My husband has that same wiry build and driving personality. I think just being a surgeon is "genetic", lol. And they are "bears" to get along with; sometimes I have to kick him out the door. :) They also think they are ordained by God, and know everything about everything else in the world, since they are "medical experts". Ahem.

Pardon me; getting off topic here

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbisme
Back