Frantic rescue effort in Queensland saves doll, not baby

miss_vegemite

Reaction score
POLICE smashed a window to rescue a seemingly unconscious baby from a vehicle in Queensland last week, only to find it was a doll.:eek:
The embarrassing mistake, made in regional Gympie, is not an isolated incident and passionate creator of the "reborn" baby dolls Vynette Cernik knows just how easily they can be mistaken for the real thing, The Courier-Mail reports.

Ms Cernik said last week's case of mistaken identity mirrored a similar incident in the US when the window of a new Hummer was broken by police trying to rescue a "baby" that turned out to be a doll belonging to the owner's wife.

Selling for up to $1000, the painstakingly hand-painted dolls are so lifelike with eyelashes, fingernails, milk spots and wispy hair that they are constantly fooling people, Ms Cernik said.

"They're even weighted to feel like a baby's weight and they flop like a baby," she said.

The dolls can even come with umbilical cords, cord clamps and their own birth certificates.

"They are so realistic, people do become attached to them," Ms Cernik said.

"You don't stop playing with dolls because you grow old. You grow old because you stop playing with dolls.

"People do have to be careful when they go out with them. I tell them to hold them properly, not dangle them by one leg or something, because other people do think they are real babies and become alarmed."

Ms Cernik said she felt sorry for the Gympie police and the members of the public distressed by the situation and suggested owners should put warning cards on the dolls.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24022201-662,00.html

I totally applaud the police in this case! :clap:
How many times have they seen the "real thing" happen.

Better safe than sorry.

Wow, those dolls are just beautiful. Probably not a good idea to leave them in a car though.

I have always wanted one of those dolls, they are just amazing. Their idea for selling them with warning cards is probably a good idea.

I would have thought it was a real baby too, better safe than sorry it was a honest mistake.

I totally applaud the police in this case! :clap:
How many times have they seen the "real thing" happen.

Better safe than sorry.

I absolutely agree! :clap:

These dolls really do look like a real infant.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back