France - Boy, 2, dies in hot car, Pont-de-Chéruy, 15 July 2008

My son is 2 and a half years old. I could never forget him! EVER!

I am starting to think that this whole "We forgot about him" is just a cover up. This has turned into an easy way to dispose of an unwanted burden. They should be charged with MURDER. Plain and Simple.

I am betting if more people were actually charged with MURDER less people would "forget" their babies. We need to stop feeling sorry for these parents and start locking them up.

I just cant wrap my head around the fact you go shopping and TWO of you forget that your CHILD is in the back of your car!!! They are not even quiet at this age and even if they are asleep how can you not SEE them as u get out of the car yourself and shut the door! I just find it unbelievable:confused::confused::confused:

I heard about the story. The father said he was disturbed because he had just witnessed an accident and had taken note of the license plate number of an involved party to communicate it to the other. He then went to work, the mother has nothing to do with it, wasn't there... This article says whatever. He wasn't used to having his kid in the car in the afternoon he was supposed to drive him to a relative's house.

I will never understand how u can just forget! Especially when u only have the one child.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...king-hot-car-parents-shopping-forget-him.html

Read Dr Elizabeth Loftus's research on memory. This sort of thing is *totally* predictable due to the way the human memory works.

In these situations, it's almost always a routine trip, some type of distraction and the baby or child is forgotten. The automatic part of memory takes over and the parent, without any bad intention at all, makes a mistake that ends in tragedy.

Read Dr Elizabeth Loftus's research on memory. This sort of thing is *totally* predictable due to the way the human memory works.

In these situations, it's almost always a routine trip, some type of distraction and the baby or child is forgotten. The automatic part of memory takes over and the parent, without any bad intention at all, makes a mistake that ends in tragedy.

Grainne, I respect you greatly but there is simply no excuse for this person to have left their child to bake to death. NONE.

This little boy died because his parents allowed him to die and that is criminal regardless of "OOOPS, I forgot"..

I bet he did not forget his cell phone and briefcase in the car....

I agree with Grainne Dhu. I remember a few years ago I saw a man on television who had driven to work and left his infant son in the car. It wasn't the norm for the man to drive his son to childcare and drove he straight to work and tragically forgot he had his baby in the car and the baby died. I'll never forget this man's grief. He loved his son. How this poor little boy's father will torture himself. For those of you who wish him to be punished I doubt anything you could come up with would compare to what he is doing to himself.

I agree with Grainne Dhu. I remember a few years ago I saw a man on television who had driven to work and left his infant son in the car. It wasn't the norm for the man to drive his son to childcare and drove he straight to work and tragically forgot he had his baby in the car and the baby died. I'll never forget this man's grief. He loved his son. How this poor little boy's father will torture himself. For those of you who wish him to be punished I doubt anything you could come up with would compare to what he is doing to himself.

You simply do not forget your child!

Your child is little, in a car seat, you look in your rearview mirror at the car seat, you talk to your child even if they are little, you are aware of their breathing. That is just parenting 101. I have a lot of children and in all the chaos that is my life, I would never forget a child. Ever.

I have no pity for someone who KILLS their child in that manner. It is a slow painful death and the baby SUFFERS for hours!

There is no excuse.

I will never understand how u can just forget! Especially when u only have the one child.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...king-hot-car-parents-shopping-forget-him.html

This article is confusing... it said:

after his parents went shopping...
parents, who have not been identified, face charges...
It appears that the father forgot all about the child...
has indicated that he forgot his son...

And why not mention the "mother forgot"...

On another board I visit, one of the ladies said that she and her sister went shopping... she had her little boy with her and FORGOT her infant daughter in the car! Thankfully, she wasn't long and the baby was alright, but she did come out of the store to a crowd and a couple of police officers... She did face charges, but basically got a slap on the hand for that "no no". I couldn't even post to the thread I was so furious with this lady... but I found out most people could not accept nor understand how she could remember her son but not her baby...

This is just horrible.. My hubby and I always communicate with each other. If for instance he is dropping one of our children off somewhere or going somewhere with them I always call his cell and ask 'did you guys get there ok?' or something along those lines.

I can't imagine forgetting your child... I can't fathom it... Even when my kids are not with me, I am constantly "looking" for them...

Poor baby....

Yes, that is tragic, for sure he didn't do it purposedely. I read he was hitting his head in a wall after he realized why there were so many people busy in front of his pharmacy and he and his wife were in a state of shock and he was admitted in a psychiatric center.

My son is 2 and a half years old. I could never forget him! EVER!

I am starting to think that this whole "We forgot about him" is just a cover up. This has turned into an easy way to dispose of an unwanted burden. They should be charged with MURDER. Plain and Simple.

I am betting if more people were actually charged with MURDER less people would "forget" their babies. We need to stop feeling sorry for these parents and start locking them up.

I agree, when you are a parent; your children are your #1 priority! (or at least they should be)
These people have their excuses, yet it's just that- excuses!

Grainne, I respect you greatly

Thank you; that means a lot to me.

but there is simply no excuse for this person to have left their child to bake to death. NONE.

It's not an excuse, it's a fact about human memory. What happened to that little boy was horrible--death via overheating is horrible. But forgetting things, even important things, is a predictable part of the human condition due to the way human memory works.

This little boy died because his parents allowed him to die and that is criminal regardless of "OOOPS, I forgot"..

I bet he did not forget his cell phone and briefcase in the car....

And yet, how many people do just that every single day? People forget many different things and it usually has little connection to how highly they value those things. For instance, if you ask my husband what the happiest day of his life has been so far, he would immediately say it was the day we decided to marry (I've heard him). But does he remember to celebrate it? Not without his supplemental memory and her name is Grainne Dhu!

Forgetting something under those conditions is predictable. It just is. The father wasn't quite in his normal routine--he was performing the routine task of driving to work but he usually did not have his son with him, so he had not developed any routine that included his son during that particular task at that particular time of day. That's one factor that is highly likely to end up with someone forgetting.

The second factor was a disturbance to his usual routine--the father saw a hit and run accident and got the license plate number. He was then juggling a familiar routine with a new task and the way human memory works is to snap back to the usual routine.

It's likely that the child was napping or asleep during the drive. Some kids are active in the car but I've known many for whom getting into the car is like a sleeping pill--they immediately nod off.

I can't remember their name but there is a USAn family whose child died under very similar circumstances. They were never charged; the police decided it was an honest mistake.

They are trying to teach parents to put a bandanna on the carseat. When a child is in the carseat, the bandanna is tied to the car keys. Simple, easy reminder to check the carseat.

It is so easy when we are doing things we do every day, like driving to work, to go on autopilot. How of you really, once you get to work, remember each detail about your journey there? This is especially likely when you don't get enough sleep and what parent of a two year old does? This was a horrible, horrible mistake and I'm sure they will live with it every day of their lives. But I do not believe that when this child's parents woke up that morning either of them thought "I'm going to kill my son."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back