Family Returns From Vacation, Finds Belongings On Lawn

White Rain

Reaction score
And some gone...how horrible would it be to see neighborhood kids riding on YOUR kids bikes?
Although the property owner promises to find them a place to live and will replace their belongings I really doubt he will do as he said.
Poor family.

JONESBORO, Ga. -- A Jonesboro family said they are distraught after neighbors raided their belongings when the home they were renting was foreclosed upon without them knowing. The family returned from vacation and found everything they owned on the lawn.

“I received a call from a neighbor when I was coming up the road saying the items of my house had been put out on the lawn,” said Bridget Harris. “It was embarrassing. My things were here for six hours. I came home, and children were riding my kids’ bicycles. They even took food from the property.”
more: http://www.wsbtv.com/news/16913641/detail.html

Whenever there's any misfortune human vultures always descend.

Whenever there's any misfortune human vultures always descend.

Very true...but it is just NOT in my conscience to treat ANYONE this way. It would bother me to no end....you're right to describe them as vultures.

It is sad that not one neighbour had conscience enough to take it upon themselves to guard the property from these swooping vultures or load the belongings into their garage to protect them until the family returned.

It is sad that not one neighbour had conscience enough to take it upon themselves to guard the property from these swooping vultures or load the belongings into their garage to protect them until the family returned.

Yeah, seems like all they could do was see/watch and grab...maybe even take. Could ANYONE have done something?
Yes.
DID ANYONE?
Apparently not.

was foreclosed upon without them knowing.

That should be against the law.
Then again, how could they afford vacation if they couldn't afford rent.

They paid rent, the property owner, the landlord, lost the property, and didn't bother to tell his tenants. Least, that is how I read it. Maybe the landlord didn't know he was in danger of losing the property too, though.

A guy my dh works with is in this situation. The house he is renting is being auctioned off next week, and he found out because his parents, who are house hunting, saw an ad for the auction in the paper. He has called his landlord several times in the past few days, but has gotten no response.

I don't care if my property is on the lawn, in the house, or on the roof, if someone takes it, it is stealing and I would call the cops on those neighbors who removed items. Being "neighborly" used to mean kind and helpful, now apparently in this neighborhood it means theiving losers.

Oh my gosh! This almost happened to me! I was rented a town house back on November and my land lord called me on March 31st and told me the town house was in foreclosure and was to be sold at auction on April 2nd. Luckily, I was able to find a house to rent within 3 days. I was terrified because I didn't know how much time I would have to move out, but it did all work out.

My landlord was very apologetic and offered to help me move and she did give me my deposit back, so it really was hard to be angry at her. Everyone kept telling me that I should sue the landlord, but I actually felt bad for her, and if she can't pay for that house, what would I get anyway?

I'm also the type of person that looks at it as "everything happens for a reason" and it did end up being a better move.

I feel really bad for these people though! I can't believe the landlord did not even warn them!!!!! At least my landlord did tell me before I paid the rent on April 1st. She could have scammed me for another month.

If they were renting the owner of the property was in foreclosure not them. They will have a case against the owners and prevail, imo.

I can't remember if this was a news article I read or something I saw on the news, but it seems as if this is an underreported part of the current housing crisis.

Rental properties, of whatever size, are also subject to the same foreclose mess as any other property.

An owner loses his property, the renters are forced to leave, often with no recourse and in a matter of days.

http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/obj...46209-6969-42D1-8B1617C517D8E62E/213/317/ART/

and

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/ss/byauthor/89883

for two examples.

Tenants often pay rent to a landlord who no longer owns the property and who just keeps the cash. If the tenants are evicted, it goes as a black mark on their credit report making it harder to find a new rental. The owner is supposed to notify his or her tenants, but isn't required to by most state laws.

They paid rent, the property owner, the landlord, lost the property, and didn't bother to tell his tenants. Least, that is how I read it. Maybe the landlord didn't know he was in danger of losing the property too, though.

This actually happened to me. If the mortgage company hadn't sent a letter in the mail addressed to current occupant, I wouldn't have known. It was a horrible situation. We did have about three months to find another place to live but still. The owner never did admit he didn't pay like he was suppose to. :mad:

What's disgusting is that the renter is making the rent payment that is SUPPOSED to pay the mortgage. So what did the owner do with the rent money??? Dishonest people suck.

What's disgusting is that the renter is making the rent payment that is SUPPOSED to pay the mortgage. So what did the owner do with the rent money??? Dishonest people suck.

Probably used it to pay his own mortgage/bills.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelKeell
Back