GUILTY TX - Tre-Devin Odoms, 5, found dead in oven, Beaumont, 16 April 2004

Texana

Overreaching
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Another case of the mentally ill killing--the man left the body of his girlfriend's five year old son in the oven-- www.khou.com (I tried to post the exact link but couldn't get it to work--my apologies--new story so you should be able to get it for some time this way at least.)

The man stated to LE that he hadn't take his medication for some time, had NO INTENTION of taking his medicine, and had killed the child.

He was judged incompetent for beating to death his younger sister (also a child at the time) with a barbell and sentenced to a mental health facility--released after LESS THAN ONE YEAR.

He was obviously "cured," wasn't he?

Our system stinks with the smell of decay of children's bodies. Sorry to be so graphic, but it sickens me to see that yet another child has died for this reason.

You can see why mentally ill people in Texas are convicted and sent to prison, because our system has no way to keep safe society from the ones who are incompetent to stand trial because of insanity--Less than a year after he beat his little sister to death--Give him some pills and set the man free to kill again.

Correction according to the Houston Chronicle, the sister killed was a 25 year old confined to her bed because of severe cerebral palsy.

What was the girlfriend doing with a man who had been prescribed psychoactive medications? Couldn't she find a normal guy?

Ya think? I agree.

If she knew, she's equally culpable.

But then again, who's to say he ever told her? And he's fairly "normal looking" in the arrest photos--27 year old guy, pretty clean cut. Dee Laney looked and sounded pretty normal right up until the night she beat her two sons to death and maimed the third.

Anyways, victims rights advocates are making a stink, rightly so, over this, and trying to get the state insanity laws changed to finding someone "guilty but insane" so they could be locked up.

Maybe this poor child's death can bring about much needed change in the laws.

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/lateststories/index.ssf?/base/national-22/1082174043168740.xml

BEAUMONT, Texas (AP) — The body of a 6-year-old boy was found in an oven at his home Friday, and his mother's boyfriend was charged with capital murder.

The suspect, Kenneth Pierott, 27, previously had been found not guilty by reason of insanity in the 1996 slaying of his handicapped sister.

Pierott was arraigned and jailed Friday night in the death of Tre-Deven Odoms.

The child's mother, Kathy Jo Odoms, found her son's body in the oven Friday morning, Justice of the Peace Paul Brown said. The burners on the stovetop were turned on, the oven was not, he said.

The boy had no visible injuries, Brown said. Autopsy results were expected Monday.

Odoms told police she woke up Friday morning because she was hot and smelled gas, The Beaumont Enterprise reported in its online edition Friday. She found the burners were on and turned them off. She discovered the boy's body after Pierott left the house.

Pierott spent six months in state mental hospitals beginning in 1998, after he was found not guilty by reason of insanity in the December 1996 beating death of his 25-year-old sister, who had cerebral palsy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is why people should NOT be released from Mental Hospitals after they have murdered someone... this guy stopped taking his meds, and no one was keeping track of it, and now this poor child had to suffer for it!! WHAT, should we put him back in the looney bin and release him again when he is "better" in 6 more months?! UGHH MAKES ME SICK! :sick: :furious:

Oh dear God how horrible! Did this lady not know of this guy's history?

O'Reilly did a segment on this case last week or on Monday. O'Reilly is mad at the judge in the first murder case. This guy should never have been out on the streets to kill this poor child.

So if I remember this correctly, there's another child? Do they believe, if anyone knows, if this child will be removed from the mother's care?

This is one of the most gruesome things I have ever heard. I don't care whether they lock him away in jail or a nut house but it obviously needs to be for LIFE!

From January 2008:

http://www.tdcaa.com/node/1746

Pierott had been found not guilty by reason of insanity after bludgeoning his bedridden sister to death in 1996. After several months of inpatient psychiatric care, Pierott was released.

In the Odom death, Pierott tried a second insanity defense, but a jury found him guilty and sentenced him to 60 years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back