GA - Tamara Dunstan, 29, pregnant, Augusta, 15 April 2004

Sassygerl

Reaction score
Foul play is suspected.....(the link only works if you sign up :doh: )

http://augustachronicle.com/stories/041604/met_752440.shtml

Police search for pregnant Augusta woman

Family offers $25,000 reward for her return and the arrest of her abductors

Web posted Thursday, April 15, 2004

Police were searching Thurs*day night for an Augusta woman who is three months pregnant and believed to have been abducted after a burglary at her mother's west Augusta home.

The mother of Tamara Dunstan, center, is comforted by friends and family Thursday in the Briercliff neighborhood off Boy Scout Road where authorities believe Mrs. Dunstan was abducted.
Chris Thelen/Staff

Tamara Dunstan, 29, was last seen at her mother's residence at 2713 Kipling Drive off of Boy Scout Road, said sheriff's Inves*tigator Richard Roundtree. Her vehicle was at the scene and her keys were inside the house when authorities responded, according to police.

Mrs. Dunstan's family has offered a $25,000 reward for information leading to her return and the arrest of those responsible.

Maj. Ken Autry said that, based on preliminary information, police believe Mrs. Dunstan did not know her abductor.

"It doesn't appear that she was familiar with the suspects," he said, adding that "we did find evidence of foul play" at the house.

Deputies received a call to the area at about 5:15 p.m. Police believe the incident occurred sometime between 2:30 and 5 p.m.

Hours after the abduction occurred, residents living in and around the area were contacted by an emergency phone message system asking for their help in finding a dark-colored, newer model Ford Mustang with a USC Aiken plate on the front of the vehicle.

Residents also were asked to look out for a black man in his mid-20s, wearing a red T-shirt, and a white man in his mid-20s, both of whom were occupants of the vehicle.

"Basically, what that is doing is enhancing our canvass," Maj. Autry said. He stressed that the men are wanted only for questioning. He said a neighbor in the Kipling Drive area noticed the vehicle and the men during the time of the incident.

"It's not that we have definitely connected (the vehicle) to this incident," Maj. Autry said.

A Georgia State Patrol helicopter also was called in to help search the wooded area around the Kipling Drive house and was flying over late Thursday night.

Andrea Timmerman said Mrs. Dunstan had told her mother Sunday that she is pregnant. She said she was surprised at her cousin's disappearance and that she didn't know why something like this happened. "She's the sweetest person you'd ever know," Mrs. Tim*mer*man said. Mrs. Dunstan is described as white, 5-feet-4-inches tall, weighing 120 pounds. She has shoulder-length brown hair. Mrs. Dunstan is a nurse at University Hospital, Mrs. Tim*merman said. She had previously worked at Medical College of Georgia Children's Medical Center in Augusta as a nurse, according to an engagement announcement in the Feb. 5, 2003, edition of The Augusta Chronicle. The announcement also said that Mrs. Dunstan graduated from Clemson University. She received her license as a registered nurse license in 1998, according to the Georgia Secretary of State's Web site. Mrs. Dunstan is married to Bernard Samuel Dunstan III of Augusta. Maj. Autry said late Thursday that Mr. Dunstan had been contacted about the abduction and at this point is not suspected to be involved in his wife's abduction. "There's no indication at all that that might be the case," Maj. Autry said. As traffic was rerouted by Richmond County Sheriff's Depu*ties at the entrance of the Brier*cliff subdivision, neighbors, family member and friends looked on, some crying and embracing. Neighbors said that although their neighborhood is nice, there have been recent burglaries there. Tom Staton, who lives on Kipling Drive, was among the crowd and said he knew of two burglaries in the area in the past two months. He said he recently had a security system installed at his house, but "I've never had any problems."

Maj. Autry said his department is researching past burglaries in the area. Aiken County sheriff's blood*hounds were called in by Rich*mond County to help in Thursday's search for Ms. Dunstan. Police also went door-to-door, canvassing the neighborhood.

Anyone with information about Ms. Dunstan is asked to call the Richmond County Sheriff's Office at 821-1080.

Oh my gosh this is terrible. Something is puzzleing me here. If these guys are burglers why would they abduct anyone. Unless she seen their faces and they weren't about to let her live to tell about them. But then why didn't they do something right there at the house with her.
This whole thing does not look to be a good out come. I am going to pray for this young woman.

I just heard this story on Fox News this morning. The police comments about "evidence of foul play" sure don't sound good. Hope the police can get to the bottom of this case soon! Prayers for her and her family!

At three months pregnant ~ she would not be showing much, I doubt that has anything to do with anything.

But to switch from a burlary to an adbuction is a big departure - makes you think maybe she recognized them, knew them.

I wonder what kinds of things were taken.. was it random?.. were they tageting something in the house specifically?

Please post any updates.

Ronald Francis Burke, 25, of the 3000 block of Wrightsboro Road, was charged with murder and kidnapping and is being held at the Richmond County Jail.

The sheriff said interviews with Mr. Burke on Friday led police to a wooded area in Edgefield County where Ms. Dunstan's body was found.

The victim was abducted on Thursday when she went to her mother's home on Kipling Drive to drop off a belated birthday present. Authorities said she arrived as a burglary was in progress and was kidnapped by the burglar.

http://www.augustachronicle.com/stories/041804/lat_bodyfound.shtml

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/04/16/abducted.woman/

Authorities searched Friday for a 29-year-old pregnant woman who they believe was abducted in Augusta, Georgia, after she interrupted a burglary.

Tamara Dunstan had taken Thursday off from her job as a nurse working with children who have cancer and was shopping at a Target store about 3 p.m. when she last spoke with her mother, Tamara's father-in-law, Bernard Dunstan Jr., told CNN.

Any news on this one?

How sad! What an awful story.. the poor woman stumbles upon someone she knows robbing her moms house, so he kidnaps and kills her to keep from getting caught, and then admits to the killing when questioned? Talk about completely senseless. :(

Looks like the newly passed Laci and Conner's Law may help bring justice to another mother and her unborn child. It will be nice to see this law in action.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edgefield County Sheriff Adel Dobey said Richmond County investigators and Federal Bureau of Investigation agents were led by Mr. Burke to a grave dug less than a foot deep in sandy soil about 30 feet east of a dirt and gravel track leading to U.S. Forest Service land in an isolated portion of western Edgefield County.

Mr. Craig said a decision should come sometime this week on whether the death penalty will be sought. That should come as soon as the jurisdiction of where the case will be tried is determined.

He said he also plans to meet with the U.S. attorney general in the next two days to discuss whether state and federal charges could stem from the case based on an unborn victims of violence act, which was passed by Congress and signed by President Bush earlier this month.

That act allows authorities to charge a suspect with a separate offense for harming or killing a child in the womb in addition to any charges relating to the mother.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope they give him the DP, I don't care if he confessed and led them to her body. I am sure that this woman told him she was pregnant and begged for her life and that of her baby, the *advertiser censored* probably just ignored her. :sick:

Look at the difference in the pictures of this grieving husband (the one where he is with his nephew) and the ones of inmate SP. so sad. And the murderer was a family friend????

omg how sick are people these days it seames like everyone is going missing every other day brakes my heart and to kill a pregenant women come on no class to kill anyone epscaily someone whos pregnant how devistating for the family

In the end, Tamara Ann Cundey Dunstan's father offered the overflow crowd the release they needed.

Dr. David W. Cundey told the mourners gathered Wednesday that his daughter would say not to "drag evil, anger and revenge with you" from the church.

"Now, goodbye, our child," he said. "We love you."

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/0404/22augusta.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46