Police 'put half naked rape victim in a taxi and made her pay the fare home"

sounds awful. I don't understand it either??

Sexual assault --> Cops not responding properly ---> Being put into cab by authorities= One very mistreated woman who is extremely lucky to be alive!!

The woman did not say she was raped until the next day. They found a lady at 1am slumped over on the side of the road. They made arrangements for her to get home when noone would pick her up. I cannot blame the cops.

The cops may have been able to charge her with publice drunkeness (my assumption) or even indecensy, but they didn't.

It is easy to say, but yeah, the cops should have known she was raped. How? You can't go around planting ideas in peoples heads saying "perhaps you were raped tonight". That is bad therapy practice, not allowed in court, etc. Can you imagine how that court case would go.

But ma'am, when police found you, you didn't mention that you were raped. You didn't mention that you may have been sexually assulted. You were with the cops for a while as they walked you to the cab companies place of business. They then waited with you to see if someone would come and pick you up. When noone would pick you up, the cops asked the cab company if they would take you home. You were with them a long time and never mentioned this alleged assult - that is until the officer asked you if you were raped. At that moment your story changed. Yes, there is evidence of a sexual encounter, but it is difficult to say whether it was rape if you didn't claim rape until it was a convient way out of your problem of being a drunk heep on the side of the road"

I'm not saying that is the right way to treat the victim, but that seems like a mild version of what the court case would sound like if the cops "planted" the rape idea in her mind.

I think this is a sad scenario and I feel bad for this woman. I hope she gets the help she needs, but I simply can't fault the cops for this sad situation.

Oh, so they didn't know she had been raped? Well that changes everything (they still could have given her a lift). She can't turn around the next day and play this card when they cops didn't even know!

Reminds me of a friend of mine who was 8months pregnant and she and her husband were pulled over. I cannot remember why her husband had a warrant but he did and they arrested him. They were in a pretty shady part of town and my pregnant friend did not know how to drive a standard and she told the cops this. They laughed and said, 'you'll learn real quick' and drove off leaving her alone in a bad part town, with a car she couldn't drive, 8 months pregnant. Nice, huh?

Nope, can't blame the police if she didn't tell them she was raped. Gosh, she must've been really drunk! It would've been nice if they had given her a lift. Seems awful they would put her in a cab half naked rather than take her home to make sure she got home safe.

I cannot pull up the link yet but it seems if she was "half naked" and slumped in the street, they should have looked a little more closely at the situtation.
And putting her in a cab half naked just screams negligence. Thank God the cab driver was a decent human who did not abuse her.

I am always supportive of the police but I wish they would have shown more concern for this lady.

The fact she was wearing just a t-shirt and crying should have warranted further investigation rather than sticking her in a taxi whether she told them she was raped or not.

I would think a drunk and crying woman dressed ONLY IN A T SHIRT and nothing else would be a red flag that

1) she may be the victim of some type of sexual assault
2) she may be so intoxicated she needs medical attention
3) she is in no shape to be let out on her own in a taxi with two male strangers

Apparently, none of this stuff occured to the police, who must think that women dressed in t shirts who are drunk and disheveled is a normal occurance.

I can't fault the police for not being mindreaders and knowing she had been raped. I can fault them, however, for not taking her to an emergency room instead.

Off the top of my head- sexual assault, car accident, mugging, head trauma, drug overdose... any number of things that might indicate why she was in this condition and might need emergency care.

You are right Anne...they should have took her to the hospital not plonked her in a taxi!

The problem in Britain raging at present is binge drinking. i think on almost any night of the week nowadays you can find women drunk slumped in the streets in a state of undress. i cannot blame these officers. the state of the nation in Britain is critical. :(

The problem in Britain raging at present is binge drinking. i think on almost any night of the week nowadays you can find women drunk slumped in the streets in a state of undress. i cannot blame these officers. the state of the nation in Britain is critical. :(

Thats very true Floh....binge drinking and knife crime are just gone wayyyyy off the scale. I think we are in a terrible state:(

I would think a drunk and crying woman dressed ONLY IN A T SHIRT and nothing else would be a red flag that

1) she may be the victim of some type of sexual assault
2) she may be so intoxicated she needs medical attention
3) she is in no shape to be let out on her own in a taxi with two male strangers

Apparently, none of this stuff occured to the police, who must think that women dressed in t shirts who are drunk and disheveled is a normal occurance.

I totally agree with you.
also the article said: Police think the woman may have been raped by an unlicensed taxi driver who dumped her in the street.
If that is what they thought? Why did they put her into a cab instead of driving her to a hospital?
This is not called Police work - IMO it is not even called humane.

Hi Floh :) I don't really agree, it should be a case by case review.
It is sad that the Police thought that the woman may have been raped by an unlicensed taxi driver who dumped her in the street. (according to the article) AND they did not do anything at all for her.

The article implied that the investigators think she was possibly raped by a taxi driver and dumped on the street. The article is not written to say that the police that went to help the woman get home thought she was raped and dumped there. The investigation didn't even start till the next day when the woman reported the incident and there was concern that the physical evidence may no longer be present.

It's beside the point to me whether or not she told police she had been raped.

She was wearing nothing but a T shirt, was higly intoxicated and had been crying. This in and of itself is strong evidence that something bad happened to her and she needed some type of help beyond being put in a taxi with a couple of men to get herself home. If I came across someone in that state, I would not bustle them off into a cab, I would call police and/or send them to the hospital, or at the very least wait with them until someone came to pick them up.

Did they ask her if she had been raped or assaulted? Did they even bother to ask her what happened to the rest of her clothing?

Thats very true Floh....binge drinking and knife crime are just gone wayyyyy off the scale. I think we are in a terrible state:(

I don't even want to visit home anymore . . .

Hi Floh :) I don't really agree, it should be a case by case review.
It is sad that the Police thought that the woman may have been raped by an unlicensed taxi driver who dumped her in the street. (according to the article) AND they did not do anything at all for her.

I am listening to you, i really am. :blowkiss:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back